Film In Action Header Image Film In Action Header Image

Documentary Filmmaking in Costa Rica - Community Media

The dynamic duo

Matt and Loria are a dynamic duo when it comes to teaching filmmaking. Both complement each other's skills and background to create a comprehensive program that enriches both your storytelling as well as your technical skills. Loria was constantly encouraging us to dig deeper in our research with our subjects to find the true story hidden beneath the surface, and Matt was there to offer insights into how to creatively capture shots that would serve as visual metaphors for our stories. I am a better filmmaker thanks to my experience with Matt and Loria and I constantly find myself utilizing bits of wisdom that they shared during the month I spent in Kenya with them.

• The Adventure

One of the best, most intense and rewarding summers of my life

Matt and Loria are two of the best professors I've ever had, not only did I learn a ton about documentary storytelling but also had a life experience that helped me grow as a filmmaker and communicator. During this program, I learned how to make a documentary essentially from scratch, spending my days working on various stages of the production process and my evenings unpacking the day and fielding questions by people that had, many times, worked through a similar experience in the past. I would recommend this program to anyone interested in documentary filmmaking or anyone interested in making a positive impact through video production.

• The Adventure

A month I will never forget!

I traveled to Kenya, Africa with Matthew and Loria as my film advisors and I had the most incredible life changing experience throughout my trip. I would do it all over again if I could, 10/10 would recommend Film In Action if you are looking for real life experiences in foreign countries while chasing your passion as a filmmaker.