Collage photos of FIE Collage photos of FIE

FIE Dublin Semester or Year Long Study Program

FIE Dublin Semester at UCD

In Spring 2013, I studied at University College Dublin through the FIE program my university partnered with. Of the Dublin programs my university offered, UCD was the best fit for the academic and cultural experience I hoped to gain from the program. It was great to live in an on-campus apartment on an international campus and get to know other students from Ireland and several other countries. I went back with 24 course credits because of the minimum requirements at UCD, which was 8 more than I would have been able to take at my university. It seems like a lot, but many courses only met once a week, so it ended up being a smaller workload than I was used to! Because UCD is a traditional college campus, I was able to join student organizations for an easy way to meet new people and get involved with events happening on campus and in the city. I’d definitely recommend the UCD program for that reason, but do make sure you do some research on UCD’s location in Dublin and plan ahead. Because you will need to take the bus between campus and City Centre, make sure you plan to spend at least $200-300 in bus and taxi costs alone. UCD is a beautiful campus with a lot to do, and the FIE staff will support you fantastically while you are there!

The Best Way to Experience Dublin

The FIE program in Dublin is absolutely remarkable. Each and everyday is a brand new experience packed with adventure and personal growth. I attend a small liberal arts school in the United States and it was quite the shock to learn how to live in a major European capital such as Dublin. However, FIE is with you every step of the way.

Your journey begins well before your semester and they ensure that you are entirely prepared once you arrive in Dublin. They are honest and upfront about registration costs and ensure that you know exactly what to bring with you.

Throughout the semester, you will be given the opportunity to participate in service activities, day trips, and weekend excursions across Ireland! The semester seems to fly by with all of the activities and events that are available to you through FIE. Classes are only a short 15 minute walk or 5 minute bus ride away and living necessities such as groceries and the post office are right around the corner.

I cannot stress enough how supportive the staff are. If the grading system is confusing, or your heating in your flat seems to have a mind of its own, the staff at FIE are there for you every step of the way. I will forever be grateful for all that they have done for me and my personal growth.

Dublin Experince

The FIE Dublin program did a fantastic job, and I thoroughly enjoyed my time aboard. Living in Dublin is a lot of fun, the people are friendly, the city is a great size with a diverse culture, and in addition they also know how to pour a great pint. The program brings you on a couple of weekend field trips around Ireland, and you learn through submersion of the culture. It is a beautiful country and you get to see a lot of it. You are required to take an Irish life and culture class that is taught by a couple of wonderful professors. I cannot speak highly enough of this program, and would suggest it to anyone who is contemplating studying abroad.

FIE Dublin Was An Amazing Experience

I came to this program looking to gain knowledge and experience in the Irish life and culture. By the time I left, I was more than satisfied with what I had learned, who I had met, and what we had experienced together.
The FIE Dublin staff was incredibly helpful in getting us all adjusted to the Irish life and were a great resource to go to throughout the semester. The planned trips with the program were not only fun, but also were great bonding and learning experiences. The program also did a great job of giving us the freedom to plan our schedules and semester as we wanted it.
In a typical week, I would attend classes at Trinity College Dublin and Dublin Business School, attend an extra-curricular activity such as going to the National Museum, go to a program sponsored activity such as "Trivia Night," and plan trips/excursions for the weekends.
Overall, I had an amazing experience living in the city of Dublin, traveling throughout the country of Ireland, and working with the FIE program.