European Study Center (ESC) Heidelberg Header Image European Study Center (ESC) Heidelberg Header Image

EU Studies, European Business and IR - Spring & Fall

Favorite semester of college

I loved studying abroad in Heidelberg! Heidelberg is as quaint as a small town but as fun as a city. There is public transportation that is extremely simple and reliable and allows students to get around. Grocery stores, restaurants, and nightlife are all a short tram ride away from the European Study Center (ESC). Germany is also a centrally located country in Europe, travelling to other countries for the weekend is manageable and affordable. Classes were interesting to me and relevant to my overall European experience while abroad. One class at the ESC was focused on the recent Migrant Crisis in Europe and as part of the class students had the opportunity to volunteer at the local refugee center (Patrick Henry Village) in Heidelberg, which was an amazingly eye-opening experience!

Best semester ever

The study abroad program at the European Study Center in Heidelberg, Germany enhanced my college experience exponentially. I found the program to be culturally enriching, mentally challenging in certain aspects, and maturing in general. The staff at the center is very nice and will help you out with any thing you could possibly imagine. They plan weekly excursions that are so fun and really bring my study abroad experience up to a new level. I know that my college experience would not even be the close to the same if I had not studied abroad at the ESC and it was one of the best decisions of my life academically, socially, and thoroughly enhanced my global perspective.

More than studying abroad

Even though study abroad programs are focused on classes and learning in a different culture, the European Study Center and all of the opportunities that came with it truly opened up my eyes about the world we live in. I left my comfort zone when leaving the U.S. but being in Heidelberg at the ESC was an amazing place to make that transition in. I was able to learn both inside and outside of the classroom and it is truly a unique and reflective experience.

Fun excursions and travel opportunities

I had a great time here. Living conditions were great, it was cheap to live here and travel, the staff was great and took us on trips. We had access to a bigger Study abroad school (SRH Heidelberg). The nightlife could have been better but it was still fine. Overall great time with great friends for great memories.

Experience of a Lifetime!

I learned that you get out of your study abroad experience what you put into it. Since I was open to new experiences and excited to explore and travel, the benefits to me became immeasurable. I experienced many wonderful places in Europe, learned a ton of history, tried great food, and much more. The friendships I made with the people I was with in Heidelberg are incredibly meaningful, and looking back, are one of the most valuable parts of this experience. I learned how to be an independent and more confident person through dealing with different scenarios traveling around Europe. It is an experience I will never forget. The European Study Center (my German residence) provided me with all of the essential tools to succeed and have a pleasant time overseas. Everyone here takes the time to make sure all of your accommodations and concerns are met.

Lovely Heidelberg

Housing is amazing, this historical gem is very homely compared to those tacky student dorms you normally find. Beautiful neighborhood, even more lovely city. Offers optional daily German lessons downstairs with an addition to other electives. Staff is friendly and helpful, rooms are acceptably furnished, kitchens are hectic at times but it all works out. The classes offered here I happened to take had competent professors who enjoyed teaching their topic. My only concern was the lack in diversity, predominantly Americans.

• European Study Center (ESC) Heidelberg responded to this review December 04, 2015 at 1:56 AM

Thank you for your feedback, Ivan. The ESC semester program continues to grow, so we expect a higher diversity, soon. Next semester, we are happy to also welcome students from Mexico. Besides, we highly encourage our students to take at least one course at our local partner university, the SRH University Heidelberg. Being enrolled at SRH gives you the opportunity to also get immersed in the German student culture.

European Study Center

Fall 2015 I had the pleasure of studying abroad in Heidelberg, Germany and staying at the European Study center for 4 months. It is a beautiful place to live, the house is huge! The coordinators find multiple ways to get you into the German culture and help you adjust to their way of life. The staff is always available and will help you with anything you could possibly need. I loved it!

Good Semester

Program had guidance, but allowed the students a good amount of independence. Amazing living situation and friendly peers. Only wish I had more of an opportunity to meet/live with German students, but there are opportunities to do so while in Heidelberg.