Esperanza Juvenil (Boys Hope Girls Hope Guatemala) Header Image Esperanza Juvenil (Boys Hope Girls Hope Guatemala) Header Image

Teaching in Guatemala (WE PAY YOU $550/month!!)

Life changing experience in Guatemala!

I spent 3 months of my summer at Esperanza Juvenil in Guatemala. I highly recommend this opportunity to anyone considering it. I made amazing memories, met lifelong friends, spent my weekends traveling Guatemala, and was immersed into the culture. The children really are the sweetest kids you will ever meet and this experience will change your life. The staff, teachers, and tias/tios that work in the school and houses are welcoming and extremely friendly. An added bonus: room and board is included plus a monthly stipend!

Amazing summer teaching experience

I had the amazing opportunity to volunteer at Esperanza Juvenil for two months during the summer before my last year of university. The most fun part of the experience was living in a house with the youngest girls (ages 8-14). There was always something exciting going on!
At the school, I helped teach English classes to grades 5-9, taught an English class for the teachers, and tutored a student who was preparing to study in South Africa.
My experience at Esperanza Juvenil taught me so much about Guatemalan culture. Some nights, the girls would teach me words in their native languages like Kakchiquel, Quiche, and Achi.
I was there at the same time as another volunteer, so we were able to go do things in the city together sometimes.
I loved Esperanza Juvenil and I'm sure you will too!

Current volunteer at EJ! What an incredible year!

I arrived in Guatemala in February 2016, and started one of the best years of my life.

Teaching at EJ:
-This was my very first teaching experience. The teacher and administrative support and training I have received here has been incredible. With weekly staff meetings, weekly check-ins with my supervisor, and spur-of-the-moment conversations with other teachers or the Executive Director I have never felt alone in my role.
Living at EJ:
-I have my own private bedroom that is separate from the house, with bunk beds, my own shower and toilet. When volunteers have come for shorter amounts of time (a few weeks to a month) they share the room with me, but generally it has been my own space. I live in a house with the youngest girls (age 9-13) and it is a blast! Our house is filled with singing, dancing, art projects, and cuddle puddles in the living room watching movies. Living with the children has been one of the better parts of the experience. I have been able to know the students in a way none of the other teachers can.
Social Life:
-Early on in my time here, I traveled to Antigua, Guatemala, a beautiful and small tourist city about an hour from Guatemala City. I went there on my own for 5 days, and met all my friends that would stick with me for the rest of the year. Guatemalans are a very generous people, and they love sharing their country with international visitors. Everyone I met was immediately volunteering to take me to all the beautiful tourist destinations of Guatemala. In my time here, these amazing friends have taken me all over, and I don't know what I would have done without them!