Enkosini Eco Experience Header Image Enkosini Eco Experience Header Image

Modisa Wildlife Project

Perspective-changing!

People tend to blather on about 'This experience changed my life' when they come back from trips away, and since I'm as cynical as the day is long whenever I hear that God-awful statement I feel like hitting them over the head with my shoe (Actually a steel toecapped boot so, y'know, it'd hurt a bit) but a short stay of a couple of weeks, Modisa managed to change some of my more deeply-held beliefs about nature and conservation, which was no mean feat.

Overall I loved it. The team at Modisa are really trying to achieve something good there and you can tell by them that they're 100% committed to it. The experience is fantastic, and as much you'd sign up to this for the animals & African experience it's the people there who really make Modisa what it is.

While you're there you'll get a 360 degree view of conservation and wildlife in Botswana. Half of your time will be doing volunteer work which I won't deny is hard, especially if you're a pasty white Irish boy who goes from 0 to well-cooked after fifteen seconds of direct sunlight. But as I said above; the people there make these jobs a lot more fun. The other half will be spent on game drives, bush walks etc. which are amazing. Modisa is right beside the CKGR and as far as the eye can see there's just wilderness around you. You'll learn about (and see up close) the big game animals but you'll also learn about the smaller things that people overlook: Plants, insects, birds. After a while you'll gain a knowledge of how these all plug in together and that was why I really loved Modisa: You learn about the entire ecosystem, not just the 'big five'. You'll also learn about the political situation and how it affects conservation which while reading it here sounds pretty dry but in reality is actually fairly interesting.

After all the above Modisa has so much more that makes it stand out in my memory: Having the craic (I'd google that phrase if you're not sure what it means by the way) at the camp after a long day and dinner, having stickbread around a campfire, the sunrises, the sunsets, finding your way to your tent at night and just listening to the noises of the Kalahari as you're going to sleep. It's a fantastic place to volunteer.

Actually as I type this I'm remembering my two weeks there and I want to go back again now!

Modisa will be the experience of your life

Val and Mikkel will teach you that approaching wildlife and loving it reminds us our responsibility upon it, our vulnerability facing it, and reveals our humanity as being awesome or dreadful, regarding the side we decide to choose. You arrived at Modisa alone, and you leave it with a big family. Modisa will be your second home, and you will go back there the most as you can. It's a place you never left, you never forget.

Love at first sight.

It's a bit over two years ago when I booked my first stay at Modisa.
Three months at a project which I only knew from pictures. "How can you book three months at a place you don't know? What if you don't like it?" That's what everyone said to me. Arriving in Maun I knew it was the right decision to come here. How can it not be right when you meet a girl who already returned twice?

What I didn't know was that this place was about to steal my heart and change my life forever...

Of course I could start telling you about all the things I did, the awesome people I met and the great time I had but I won't. Simply because I can't find the right words to describe it.

Modisa is a place where you discover a new side of yourself you haven't seen before. It gives you so many new experiences you can't even imagine. It's a place you fall in love with.
If you're open minded about everything you will get more than you can ever dream of.

My deepest respect for two friends who had the idea to create a special place. Two friends who are fighting for a better world every day. Two friends who gave so many people a home away from home.

I never felt more at home.
Thanks for having me twice.

My best experience I had so far

I just "stumbled" upon the Modisa Website and became interested more and more into the project. Also, I wanted to know more about wildlife in Africa.
Arriving at the camp was pretty much as I expected. It was even better than I thought. A warm welcome by the staff and the volunteers. Contagious enthusiasm of the people and a huge knowledge. Lions roaring in the evenings and jackals howling at night. And those shining stars at the sky … I definitely will come back to Modisa!

Modisa - an adventure for a lifetime

I booked my trip half a year before I went to Modisa, so my expectations grow a lot in that time and I couldn't wait to go there anymore. I went to the Camp for 2 weeks and left with a lot of tears in my eyes.

It all started a little bit bitter when my luggage didn't arrive, but at Modisa it wasn't such a big problem anymore. The people grow like a family to you and everyone is helping you as good as they can. If I could I would have taken them all home with me.

I was a little concerned if there might be just groups coming together and that I'm the only loner. That changed in the second I met the other people. There was not a single person I didn't like.

The two weeks in the Camp where the best of my live! It was 6:00 when the sun rose the first time in the camp and it's just impossible to not look at that beauty. The birds wake you every day, if they are too quiet for you, at least the lion roars might wake you. The days are so exciting, that you just don't want to sleep long. Every day is different to the day before, but I enjoyed every single one of them. At home I'm normally not that much into hard work, to be honest, but collecting stones or firewood, filling the antiseptic-tank with sand, raking the ground became something enjoyable with these people.

My favorite way of traveling became going somewhere with the tractor, having the wind in your hair and the sun on your face. My smile was unable to be whipped off.

I loved the evenings, sitting at the campfire, eating bread on the stick, enjoying a cold cider after a hot day and then sleeping on the container under the stars.

Val and Jack teached us a lot about the animals, the vegetation and how this land used to be. Not only during the two lectures we had, but on every game drive, bush walk, lion and leopard feeding, wild dogs watching, there was something to see and learn all the time. It opened my mind to a lot of thoughts I didn't have before.

Of course one of the best things was, seeing Val and Sirga together, following them with the car and seeing how much love is between them. I could have watched this “little” princess forever.

I hope Val and Mikkel will succeed with all their future ideas for the camp and that a lot of volunteers will have the possibility to see this project and I hope I'll be one of them again in the close future.

SOMETHING EVERYONE MUST TRY!!

Modisa was a life changing experience! From the start until the end, i was completely happy and at peace being around wildlife....everyone there was amazing and friends were made so quickly!
Its quite amazing how eveyone connected without trying...
It was all made possible through Enkosini and Kelcey with their fantastic site..from picking the project and organizing transfers, everything was a breeze..
Highly recommended booking through enkosini!!

At home in the middle of nowhere

I visited Modisa twice and there is no single day without thinking about that unique place in the Kalahari. Miss the thorn bushes, the animals, my little tent, the sunrises and sunsets... But most of all the amazing people who run the project and other volunteers I met. Back to basics, exciting activities - unforgettable memories. I've learned a lot: about the bush and wildlife conservation, about important and unimportant things in life and about myself. Every day I had a deep feeling of freedom and happiness which is hard to explain. Everybody who has been there will understand what I mean. There is only one bad thing about Modisa: The moment when you have to leave.