Enkosini Eco Experience Header Image Enkosini Eco Experience Header Image

Great White Shark Project

White Shark Projects

WSP is amazing – the staff and crew are friendly and supportive, the volunteer house is cozy, the landscape is gorgeous, the no-sea days prove fun for exploring, and the sharks are everywhere!

I stayed with the program for two weeks (in September) but I wish it could’ve been longer. Getting eye-to-eye with Great Whites has been at the top of my list for years and I couldn’t have asked for a better experience. My fellow volunteers were from all over the world and we had a great time bonding over volunteer work and yummy food. Along with the dive trips my group traveled to the southernmost tip of Africa, went on safari, visited an ostrich farm, participated in the Hermanus art walk (spread awareness about ocean conservation), and went to the South African Shark Conservatory. I will definitely be returning in the future.

Wonderful White Shark Programme

I stayed for a month and absolutely loved every minute of this volunteer programme! From the sharks, to the community, everyone was so friendly and welcoming, it felt like home very quickly. Making life-long friendships with some other volunteers and the staff too, it really was the trip of a life time. So much so that I will 100% be returning to white shark projects! Absolutely incredible!

Great White Shark Experience

My experience was awesome! Since the age of 5 (I saw the movie Jaws), I have been fascinated by sharks and especially the great white. This volunteer program included classroom time, as well as experiencing individual duties luring the great whites to the boat, and studying the great white. Going in the ocean with these amazing creatures was a dream come true to me. Yes, the are huge and they consistently appear to be smiling at you with rows and rows of great white, sharp teeth that every dentist would be proud of, but to be up close and personal with these amazing creatures was beyond my wildest imagination! There was also a few days of exploration in neighboring towns/site seeing. I loved taking in the surrounding culture. The accommodations were spacious and it was really fun getting to know my volunteer housemates. We had many laughs and the jokes we played on each other were a hoot. The boat crew and experts were very supportive and a pleasure to work with/learn from. It was a super educational and amazing experience! I would love to go back and spend more time but my current full time work schedule, full time post graduate school schedule, and an additional part time school schedule doesn't afford me much time. I would highly recommend this program to everyone interested in sharks or wanting to have an amazing experience. My heart belongs to Africa, Valerie Spalding

Love sharks? This is the project for you!

I can not rate this project more highly! At the end of the day you get out of a project what you put in! I have revisited this project for several years running. The staff of White Shark Projects are very friendly and helpful, from the skippers to the boat crew to the ladies who make the sandwiches for the trip.

The skippers are very experienced and run a tight ship (no pun intended) They take pride in getting it right and selecting the best place to moor up to get the best shark action that means getting out early. There ethics and shark etiquette is second to none. An experienced bate handler will entice the sharks towards the boat giving everyone great sightings from above and below the water. DON'T FORGET YOUR CAMERA! If you have a good stomach then chumming is probably the best job for you! It's where you can get to see the sharks close up and see there sheer size and beauty. Remember though although Gansbaai is a known spot for white sharks they are wild animals with minds of their own and if they don't want to play ball then they wont, a handful of trips a year have no shows. You get to talk to the clients and share your knowledge about the sharks. Don't worry if you are not up on your shark fact the crew are great to tell you everything you will need to know to chat to others.

The volunteers house is comfortable with 3 shared bedrooms, two bathrooms, a communal kitchen, a sitting room with satellite TV, WiFi, and a class room. It's a great way to meet people from all over the world with the same passion as you for Great White sharks. I have made some amazing friends and are still in contact years later.

There is a lovely restaurant just over the road yards from the volunteers house that is good value for money and good food. In Gansbaai the next village on there is a number of different restaurants and pubs.

Occasionally mother nature prevents you from going out to sea due to large waves and strong winds but trips to Cape Agulhus which is where the Indian and Atlantic Ocean meets and where you can feed the big sting rays in the harbor by hand (they love the smell of chum that will be your new perfume whilst you are on the volunteering experience) Other trips to see the African penguins, a trip to the nearest town Hermanus where sometimes the whales can be seen hugging the harbor depending on the time of year, quad biking and so much more.

You are taken to Gansbaai town on weekly basis to do you weekly shop for food etc. There is a convenience store just up the road that has basics and a well stocked liqueur store!

Far exceeded my expectations

My time spent with White Shark Projects was amazing. Every day we went out on the boat, sometimes several times a day, and saw great white sharks in their own environment. As volunteers we were allowed to cage dive with the sharks, we were taught about the biology, physiology, and behaviors of great white sharks, and we were given training and experience working on the boat. We also saw whales, dolphins, South African fur seals, South African penguins, and many other birds and wildlife along the way. We were taken on game drives, wine tastings, and South African adventures when we were not at sea.

It was a truly life-changing experience. We worked and played everyday and every single minute was fun and exciting.

Enkosini Eco made the trip easy. They arranged for transportation to and from Cape Town, and helped with every aspect of planning, packing, and traveling for the trip. I would not hesitate to use this service again, and I hope I get to very soon.

The most thrilling and amazing experience!

The most rewarding, exhilarating and amazing experience I ever did. For a solo traveller this program was the best fit. It provided me with support that I needed while on trip. The education I learned about the great whites is simply refreshing. To see and learn first hand from the people who are out with the sharks everyday is great. The best mornings of my life was the boat rides from the marina to shark alley. The people I met were so helpful, friendly and eager to help. This p[program was single handily the best travel experience one can ever do ! I am so glad I did white sharks though this volunteer program, it gives you a entire different perspective. Thanks to all the team and staff for such a wonderful experience .