5-8 Weeks, 9-12 Weeks, 3-6 Months
Throughout the year
Throughout the year
Participants in the Tanzania programs must be ready for the challenges of living in Africa and have the flexibility to adapt to simple living conditions. Women's programs require volunteers to be self starters with a real curiosity for the culture and a lot of patience. Participants should also be flexible, adaptable and open to experiencing a new culture.
Knowledge of Swahili is not required but it will be very helpful.
- Food Science & Nutrition
- Marketing, Advertising, & PR
- Social Work
- Women's Studies
Cost in US$:
Starting at USD 1,265 for six weeks. Contact us for details
- In-country orientation/Training
- In-country staff support
- Registration fees
- Written materials pre-departure
Program Fees Include:
* Pre-departure Support: ELI's staff is very knowledgeable and happy to help volunteers and interns to prepare for their travels.
* Airport Pickup: Volunteers are met at the airport in Dar es Salaam and provided with transportation to their host family.
* In-country Orientation: Each volunteer program starts with a two to three day orientation which covers important topics on the logistics of living and working in Dar es Salaam, city tours, help with transportation, and assistance with volunteering permits
* In-country Staff Support: ELI's coordinator in Dar es Salaam has years of experience working with economic development projects. She is very resourceful and on call 24/7 in case of emergency.
* Accommodations: Volunteers will stay with a local host family where they will be provided with a room and breakfast and dinner each day. By living with a family, volunteers will learn about the day to day rhythms of Tanzanian life first hand as well as sample traditional meals not usually available in restaurants. Host families are eager to welcome volunteers and are a fantastic resource for learning about the local culture and sights.
- Economic Development
- Grassroots Organization
- Health Care
- Health Education
- Human Rights
- Public Health
- Volunteer Management
There is no typical ELI volunteer. We work with people from all over the world and a variety of backgrounds. ELI has placed volunteers ranging in age from 18-81. Successful volunteers are flexible, upbeat, energetic, and inquisitive.
18 and up
This Program is open to
American, Asian, Australian, Canadian, European, Kiwi and Worldwide Participants.
Typical Living Arrangements
Typically Participants Work
Application Process Involves
- Written Application
- Online Application