ELI volunteers bathing the elephants ELI volunteers bathing the elephants

Volunteer Teaching in Kenya

Great experience

My volunteering experience was life changing. I spent 4 months in Nakuru, surrounded by beautiful children and having the opportunity to give them hope was amazing. Getting a smile out of these kids was such a joy! I would do it all over again and hopefully I can go back someday.

Math and English teacher

I spend 3 months volunteering through ELI abroad in Nakuru, Kenya and it was one of the best experiences of my life. I was a volunteer math teacher at the local school here in Nakuru. The school is a tremendous place to work. They give you as much freedom or structure as you like. I was able to teach even though I have no prior experience with teaching. If you would like to teach the staff guides you through the first few lessons but then gives you free and total control over the class to complete the syllabus. The school has a variety of different classes, levels, and subjects so it is easy to find your place. It is easiest and most convenient to teach english or math. All teaching is done in English so a proficiency in english is required. If teaching is not what you would like to pursue, the school has many other areas to help out in. The boys and girls orphanages along with a women crisis center can always use an extra hand from the volunteers. New life international Africa school is a great place to volunteer because of their tremendous staff and students making you feel at home no matter where you choose to lend your helping hand.

As you are volunteering I was able to stay with the other ELI volunteers along with a host mother. The place is a great house to stay in. Located just a short walk to school or to town, equipt with all the amenities to make you feel safe and loved.

I had a terrific experience volunteering in Kenya with ELI abroad and would recommend it to anyone.