ELI works with several orphanages on Leyte Island in the Philippines. Each orphanage houses 45 to more than 100 orphans, abandoned children, and runaways. While the orphanages do a wonderful job of providing the basics, orphans are deprived of many opportunities necessary for their development. Through education, individual attention, and compassion, children are empowered to challenge a life of further poverty and exploitation. Volunteers provide basic daily care for the children and are also encouraged to actively participate in programs such as health education, games, and art. With such a variety of ways to participate, the orphanage experience provides volunteers many meaningful ways to approach service. Explore this magical place and its diverse culture through an ELI volunteer placement on the historic island of Leyte.
1. Volunteers can apply to participate at any time and can work at the orphanage for as long as their visa allows
2. All ELI Programs are set up on a completely individual basis according to the interests and skills of each participant, so volunteers of all different skill sets are welcome to apply
3. Participants in the ELI programs experience the famous hospitality of the Philippines through staying with a local host family
4. The Philippines offer pristine white beaches, ancient rice terraces, volcanoes and some of the friendliest people in Asia
5. On time off, volunteers can explore other islands, relax on the beach, or go dancing in town
2-4 Week, 5-8 Week, 9-12 Week, 3-6 Month
Throughout the year
throughout the year
No qualifications required.
- English as a Second Language
- Family and Home Studies
- Social Work
Cost in US$:
Costs vary, please contact us for details
- In-country orientation/Training
- In-country staff support
- Written materials pre-departure
Program Fees Include:
Pre-departure Support: ELI's expert staff will be happy to assist you with planning your trip
Airport Pickup: Participants are met when they arrive at the airport in Tacloban and brought to their homestay
In-Country Orientation: Each program starts with a 2-3 day orientation to help participants get their feet on the ground and able to navigate the island.
In-country Staff Support: ELI's coordinator in the Philippines has years of experience working with Volunteers She is very resourceful and on call 24/7 in case of emergency.
Accommodations: Participants stay in with local host families and experience the warm hospitality of the Philippines and are provided with home cooked meals.
- Academic Reinforcement
- Community Centers
- Primary Education
- Secondary Education
- Social Services, Social Work
- Street Kids
- Youth Development
There is no typical ELI volunteer. We work with people from all over the world and a variety of backgrounds. ELI has placed volunteers ranging in age from 18-81. Successful volunteers are flexible, upbeat, energetic, and inquisitive.
18 and older
This Program is open to
Worldwide Participants. This Program is also open to Couples and Individuals.
Typical Living Arrangements
Typically Participants Work
Application Process Involves
- Online Application
- Written Application