ELI works with charitable hospitals in Chennai and Madurai to create unique internships designed for pre-med students. Interns have the opportunity to shadow medical professionals, observe diagnosis and treatments, and learn firsthand about the day to day practice of medicine in India. Interns will not have medical responsibilities but may be asked to assist with some tasks if the staff feels the participant is capable. Participants may also have the opportunity to participate in health outreach activities such as health camps and health education programs in poor neighborhoods and audit nursing and dental classes conducted on-site.
Visit our website to see a photojournal from a previous medical intern!
All ELI Programs are set up on an individual basis according to the interests and skills of each participant and the current needs of the local organizations we work with.
Participants in India experience India's vibrant culture in one of the most exciting parts of the country. The rich cultural heritage of South India is evident in the colorful festivals, elaborate temples, and daily rituals.
ELI participants work with local organizations and have a rare opportunity to gain insight into the day to day workings of Indian organizations.
Throughout the year
Proven interest in medicine - either through coursework or prior internships or volunteering in a medical setting.
- Health Sciences
- Admin (Health Services)
- Biomedical Sciences
- Physical Therapy
Cost in US$:
Costs vary depending on duration. Please contact us for details.
Program Fees Include:
* Pre-departure Support: ELI's expert staff will be happy to assist you with planning your trip
* Airport Pickup: Participants are met when they arrive at the airport in Chennai and brought to the program accommodation
* In-Country Orientation: Each program starts with a 2-3 day orientation to help participants get their feet on the ground and able to navigate South India
* In-country Staff Support: ELI's India coordinator has years of experience working with Volunteers, Interns, and Study Abroad Students. He is very resourceful and on call 24/7 in case of emergency.
* Accommodations: Participants stay in housing associated with the project and are provided with three basic vegetarian meals a day.
This Program is open to
Typically Participants Work
Application Process Involves
- Online Application
- Written Application