Volunteer or Intern in Guatemala! ELI works with a variety of programs to help address the country's agricultural needs. ELI's programs strive to assist poor communities in rural regions throughout the country through education and vocational training. We work with local groups who teach responsible practices and sustainability. Volunteers may help at large education centers, or work with small local eco-communities.
Locals receive education and assistance to improve their personal lives as well as better their communities. Educational centers train local farmers to improve their techniques, produce and market their product.
The centers work on a wide-range of projects including:
* organic worm composting
* hydroponic cultivation
* seed propagation
* chicken raising
* technical training
Each placement depends on when you decide to go, your particular area of interest, your qualifications, what particular organization has openings for interns.
All programs require a 2-week minimum time commitment and can last up to 6 months.
Volunteers in Guatemala travel, not as tourists, but as active community member.
* Work and live in the beautiful Highlands Regions of Guatemala
* Live with a local host family
* Improve your Spanish skills
* Explore the local region by enjoying hikes, cultural programming, and visits to nature reserves (optional)
2-4 weeks, 5-8 weeks, 9-12 weeks, 3-6 months (High School)
Throughout the year
Typical Duration of Program
throughout the year
* Must be at least 18 years of age
* Must have intermediate Spanish language skills
* Must have completed 1 year of university
* Must have a demonstrated interest or background in field
* Must be a self-starter, creative, flexible, and able to work with a wide-range of people
- Sustainable Development
- Agricultural Sciences
- Agricultural Economics
Cost in US$:
Cost varies. Please contact us for details
- Language instruction
- In-country staff support
- In-country orientation/Training
- Written materials pre-departure
Program Fees Include:
* Airport Pickup
* Orientation Upon Arrival
* 2 meals a day
* 1 week free language classes
* In-country coordinator available 24/7
- Community Centers
- Community Development
- Economic Development
- Organic Farming
- Tree Planting
There is no typical ELI volunteer. We work with people from all over the world and a variety of backgrounds. ELI has placed volunteers ranging in age from 18-81. Successful volunteers are flexible, upbeat, energetic, and inquisitive.
This Program is open to
Worldwide Participants. This Program is also open to Couples and Individuals.
Typical Living Arrangements
Typically Participants Work
Application Process Involves
- Online Application