1557 Ogden St. Suite 5 Denver, CO 80218 United States
Ecuador: Galapagos Islands, Mindo, Puerto Lopez and 2 other cities
Throughout the year
5-8 weeks, 9-12 weeks, 3-6 months (includes high school academic semester abroad)
Typical Duration of Program
Throughout the year
Volunteer in Ecuador with a conservation project. Few countries have the biodiversity that can be found in Ecuador. Unfortunately, there are grave threats to that diversity. Volunteers work with local organizations devoted to conservation activities including reforestation, animal rescue, wildlife re-population, limiting invasive species and finding environmentally sustainable income sources for locals.
Experience the incredible beauty and culture of Ecuador while assisting local organizations and gaining a deep understanding of the people and culture. Volunteers and interns work in community run organizations, gaining firsthand knowledge of the complex development issues Ecuador is facing. Participants have plenty of time to explore the country during the weekends. Ecuador has four distinct regions with almost endless possibilities for adventure.
* The Ecuadorian Andes are some of the most dramatic mountains in the world dotted with small towns, clear lakes, and home to a vibrant and a wide array of microclimates ranging from semi arid highlands to cool, moist cloud forests.
* The Amazonian region is one of the most biologically diverse regions on the planet.
* The coast of Ecuador is one of the poorest regions but also home to pristine beaches and sleepy fishing villages.
* The Galapagos Islands are home to some of the most exotic wildlife in the world and a stunning natural history lesson in action.
ELI volunteers are enthusiastically welcomed by the communities they work in and often form long lasting relationships with the people they meet in Ecuador.
Participants in this program need to be ready for basic conditions which may include camping for a week or two at a time. Also, keep in mind that conservation are in less developed rural areas where there may not be reliable services such as electricity.
Costs vary. Please contact us for details
* Pre-departure Support: ELI's staff is very knowledgeable and happy to help volunteers and interns to prepare for their travels.
* Airport Pickup: Volunteers are met at the airport in Quito and provided with transportation to their host family.
* In-country Orientation: Each volunteer program starts with a two to three day orientation which covers important topics on the logistics of living and working in Ecuador, city tours, help with transportation, and optional Spanish classes
* In-country Staff Support: ELI's Ecuador coordinator has years of experience working with visitors to Ecuador. She is very resourceful and on call 24/7 in case of emergency.
* Accommodations: Volunteers will stay with a local host family where they will be provided with a room and breakfast and dinner each day. By living with a family, volunteers will learn about the day to day rhythms of Ecuadorian life first hand as well as sample traditional meals not usually available in restaurants. Host families are eager to welcome volunteers and are a fantastic resource for learning about the local culture and sights.
There is no typical ELI volunteer. We work with people from all over the world and a variety of backgrounds. ELI has placed volunteers ranging in age from 18-81. Successful volunteers are flexible, upbeat, energetic, and inquisitive.
18 and up.
Worldwide, American, Asian, Australian, Canadian, European and Kiwi Participants. This Program is also open to Couples and Individuals.
ELI's full name, Experiential Learning International, reflects our philosophy. We believe that the most compelling life lessons come through experience, and that international experiences are among the most profound influences on our sense of self and our view of the world. ELI facilitates flexible international learning programs for independent travelers by partnering with local organizations to give participants the opportunity to experience and contribute to sustainable ongoing local projects throughout the world.