Elective Abroad Inc. Header Image Elective Abroad Inc. Header Image

Elective Program for Junior Medical Students

Tanzania

I LOVED my experience in Tanzania - I worked in the hospital during the week and gained lots of hands-on experience. This facilitated my learning and also built my confidence as a doctor. The accommodation was very clean and safe, and the staff were very friendly. I lived with about 20 other people who were also doing electives in different hospitals, so the evenings were always lots of fun. At the weekends we were free to travel and I managed to go to Mount Kilimanjaro, I visited the native Masai tribe, I went on safari, and I also took a trip to Zanzibar. Very enjoyable summer!!

Great accommodation with friendly staff and I got to meet lots of other fun people

Amazing Medical Elective Experience

Working in a kenyan-based hospital has always been my dream ever since I was young, however the thought of traveling there alone and staying in a foreign country for weeks has made me skeptical about going there. With the help of Elective Abroad, and especially the chief of this organisation (Jevis), I can actually make my dream comes true. Not only does this organisation ensures your personal safety in kenya, Jevis personally customised a special schedule for me so that I could maximise my elective experience in Mombasa, Kenya. Besides working in the hospital, I also had chance to visit a local orphanage to teach the children. The experience on the whole was incredible. I had never came across such thoughtful and reliable organisation, and if i were to visit kenya 2 years later for my next elective, Elective Abroad would definitely be my first choice.

The most amazing experience of my career so far, however some flaws in administration and security.

This was an unbelievable experience that will be near impossible to match. It gave me remarkable and unparalleled practical experience in the medical field, which I feel I could not have gotten anywhere else in the world. I left the hospital there feeling like a real doctor and having confidence in what I was doing. I believe all medical students should at some point receive an experience such as this one.

The individual administrator assigned to my group, who stayed with us for the duration of the trip, was unprofessional in many many ways including lack of communication with the head of the company, moving his girlfriend into the apartment and failing to oraganise my transport to the airport when I was leaving. I also had a total of 210 euros stolen from the apartment from someone with access to the apartment (maid/cook/administartor himself) in my weeks there. Overall I was completely unsatisfied with my living conditions there and found it very uncomfortable to live somewhere for weeks with people I felt I could not trust.

I was quite happy with all administration as a whole, however as per my previous comment the one administrator posted to my group was extremely unsatisfactory.

• Elective Abroad Inc. responded to this review August 13, 2016 at 6:23 AM

Lydia, this was one of those unfortunate experiences. We acknowledged your complaint, discontinued the administrator in question and put measures to avert any future occurrence of the same. We are willing to finance your trip back to the same destination as this is the least the program can offer you. We know you are a graduate medical student now, but hey..Our new doctor program awaits you. Get in touch with the placement office citing this posting