Eko Tracks Header Image Eko Tracks Header Image

Veterinary Field Study, South Africa

South Africa Lit a Fire in my Belly

that still hasn't gone out. I learned so much, did so much, and became so much more than I ever dreamed I would thanks to this program and the incredible people I met. While the hands-on experience was unlike anything I have ever been able to do in the US, it was the poeple that made this trip unforgettiable. From passionate vets to our brilliant guide, and from welcoming locals to trip-mates who became like family, I owe the people involved in this EkoTracks adventure many more thanks than I could ever possibly give.

The Trip of a Lifetime

I wasn't 100% sure about this trip when I first found out about it but after reading past reviews on their Facebook page I knew it was an opportunity I couldn't pass up. The Facebook group itself was extremely helpful, everyone responded to questions so quickly. Natasha responded to emails very quickly as well and settled my (not to mention my parent's) fears. This was my first time flying by myself AND going out of the country. The trip itself was AMAZING. The hands-on experience with the animals is like nothing I could get in the States. Nothing was ever hum-drum. We moved around a lot but I liked that. You get to see more of South Africa in 3 weeks than some people who live there ever get to. There were optional activities we could do, which of course we did, that I would never get to do in America. The food was 1/2 normal cuisine and 1/2 native and that was a good experience too. The trip is what you make of it but Eko Tracks did an amazing job. I recommend it to ANYONE who wants to go to Africa, meet people with the same interests, experience a completely different culture, find yourself, and have memories that last forever. The only bad part about this trip is that it is only 3 weeks. Don't get me wrong, I missed my family and boyfriend a lot but I did not want to go home.

A Wonderful South African Experience!!

I kind of stumbled upon this trip on accident at my university. Sighing up for it was extremely easy and before I knew it I was on a plane to South Africa! Once I got there, I met the group of students from all over the world who I would be spending the next 3 weeks with. During the trip, I saw and did so many things that when looking back, I can't believe I got to do. We worked in a clinic in a township outside of Johannesburg, traveled in and around Kruger National Park, went of bush walks where we saw elephants, rhinos, giraffes, and even a cheetah, we spent time with a wildlife vet where we relocated a waterbuck, helped neuter a dog in the middle of the bush, and shot a dart gun out of a helicopter!

This trip was the best thing I have ever done in my whole life and I would go back to South Africa in a heartbeat. In fact, I am hoping to go back this summer. I have and will continue to recommend this trip to anyone who is remotely interested in veterinary medicine/animals and who wants to travel.

All in all, this was a great trip and I would HIGHLY recommend it!

Amazing Experiences, But Too Much Downtime.

I think it would be pretty difficult not to enjoy this trip. There were some days where we had less planned and thus would spend too much time in a campsite, but for anyone interested in hiking and self-guided tours, this is fine.
The accommodations were either clean, beautiful lodges, or similarly kept campsites. Either way, I was always comfortable, albeit a bit chilly.
The experiences on this trip were one-of-a-lifetime. Meeting elephants, cheetah, and antelope in natural habitats as well as viewing wildlife in Kruger Park will always be a highlight for me. I definitely recommend this trip to someone considering Veterinary medicine, but don't expect too much hands-on Vet work.