Education for the Children Foundation  Header Image Education for the Children Foundation  Header Image

Education for the Children Foundation

Volunteering at EFTC

This is my first time in Guatemala and at EFTC, I have loved it! Education For The Children Foundation are an incredible charity who are passionate about helping children and families. There is lots of room at the organisation to volunteer where you feel your skills will be most valuable. I have been here for 10 weeks and have been able to do a huge variety of things. I started helping out in English classes for 6th-9th grade but have also have the opportunity to help out in the office, helping in the younger classes, making display board and help create new activities which can be used in lessons. All the staff and other volunteers are very friendly so we have been able to do lots of cool things outside the project as well. I really recommend visiting other places in Guatemala whilst you are here as it is such an interesting and beautiful country! I am looking forward to returning one day! :)

The greatest experience

Volunteering is a great experience that anyone should do at least once, no matter for how long. Doing even small things for the community makes it so much better.
EFTC is a great place to volunteer. A place that really helps the children and give them the hope and the chance for a brighter future and I was glad to be part of it for a bit. Every actions, every events at the school are made to provide not only the best education but also to improve all the children's health habits.
And you will not only help them, but it will also help you : help you with a better knowledge of yourself and of the world with the discovery of a new culture and the understanding of global issues.
So I can assure you that you would have the best experience here in Guatemala with the EFTC.

Genuinely fantastic and life-changing organisation

I spent just over 7 months with EFTC for my languages year abroad from September 2015 to April 2016. I honestly can't say enough great things about the organisation. In terms of project organisation, it is absolutely fantastic. They can arrange as much or as little as you want and their staff in charge of visitors and volunteers was always quick to get back in touch and provided a wealth of information. During your placement, there is a staff member dedicated to visitors and volunteers who will always put you on the right track. As for what you can do, it depends on your interests and your skills. I spent most of my time in the classroom giving the teacher a helping hand with anything that she needed a hand with whether it be activities with the children, marking, preparation etc. I also got a chance to see more of the office side of the foundation as I have an interest in NGO management and so I did various things in order to help out on that side as well so whatever your interests and skills are, there will be something for you at EFTC. It is a genuinely fantastic foundation that makes such a difference to the lives of the children and their families from many different angles and you will leave wondering when you will be able to book your next trip.