Edge of Africahttp://www.edgeofafrica.com
Suite 88 Private Bag X31 Knysna, 6570 South Africa
South Africa: Knynsa
Throughout the year
1-2 weeks, 2-4 weeks, 5-8 weeks
Typical Duration of Program
Apply for Dates
Spend your days immersed in a colourful South African town - teaching English to the locals, organising activities for pre-school kids, uplifting underprivileged children and assisting with other community projects in and around the beautiful Garden Route area.
Volunteers are part of multiple dynamic projects privately run by Edge of Africa, including:
* Kadiki Kids Project
* Teaching and Helping Literacy & Numeracy in Pre-Schools
* Funda English Project
* Assisting with Teaching English to Children & Adults
* Working with Street Kids and other Youth from Disadvantaged Backgrounds
* HIV / AIDS & TB Awareness Project
* Helping home-based carers with people affected by HIV / AIDS and volunteering in workshops held to educate children about the disease
* Volunteers have various duties attached to these ongoing projects. We are always in need of fresh ideas and positive input to help us reaching as many people as possible and making an actual tangible difference in their lives!
* Multiple Projects - Volunteers experience all aspects of community volunteering
* Work with children under the age of six in our Pre-Schools Teaching Program
* Help teenagers and young kids with problem backgrounds learn the skills to ensure a brighter future for themselves in our Youth Centre Development Project.
* Give the gift of the English language to groups of individuals wanting to better their lives.
* Be part our HIV / AIDS & TB Awareness Program, providing education and care to poorer communities.
Apart from a positive, open minded enthusiasm...not much!. You should love working with children and should have an interest in new cultures & the environment as well as working with communities in a third world country.
Useful Skills: We realize that each volunteer that joins us has different skills and varying specialties to offer. Should you feel that you can contribute beyond our itinerary, please inform us so we can use your skills accordingly. (For example art and drama is always needed as is subject knowledge such as maths and literacy education).
* The confidence that every effort will be made to ensure your safety and enjoyment during your stay
* Rapid pre-departure support and information
* Travel arrangements to and from the project (On allocated days)
* Project related transport
* Thorough orientation to area and chosen project
* First day introduction and orientation to project and colleagues
* Project support and feedback sessions throughout your stay
* Assistance with optional activities and tours
* 24/7 emergency support
* Sim Card for your phone
* Community and Cultural Tour
* Post-project involvement and updates
Enjoys Travel Interested in new cultures Open to new experiences Tolerant with local ways Healthy and Happy!
Worldwide Participants. This Program is also open to Families, Couples and Individuals.
Independently or in Groups of 2-6
EDGE of AFRICA combines visiting the breathtaking, malaria-free Garden Route with an authentic African experience for volunteers, gap year students and interns of all ages and nationalities. Privately operating without any official funding, we offer safe, sustainable wildlife, environmental, sports, medical and community projects all either self-initiated within existing organisations or independently established by our team. Volunteers are exposed to the colourful heritage, cultures and traditions our country offers, while actually making a tangible difference in the lives we touch.