Ecolife Expeditions Header Image Ecolife Expeditions Header Image

Vets-In-The-Wild Expedition

Amazing trip!

I loved this program! I got to meet amazing people and see the beauty of South Africa. The only issue I had with the program is that there were too many people in a group. This is only because it is hard for everyone to get ample experiences with each activity. Aside from that, this trip was perfect! I loved camping in the parks! If you have the chance to participate in this program do it!!

tThe best choice I made in my academic career

I would have to say I enjoyed sitting in Mudahjohn (spelling) around the fire with our to guides (jacob and jacob) and my eco life guides Peter H and Micheal K. and hearing all of their stories while listening to the lions roaring, hyaenas cackling, hippos grunting along with many other wild animals and looking up at the absolutely breathtaking milky way that seemed so close you could touch it. Here we also went on many guided tours where we saw many wildlife in their natural habitat going about their normal every day activities.

I chose my program because I have always been interested in wildlife medicine, Conservation and ecology this was the perfect combination.

We stayed in tents on cots in our sleeping bags most nights. Some nights we stayed in lodges, and rooms. It was an incredible experience.

Best Choice of my Life

EcoLife's Vets in the wild program was the best choice I made in my academic career. The program was educational and life changing. I feel in love with Africa while I was there and strive to return very soon. I would recommend this program to anyone interested in stepping outside of their boundaries learning hands on and being exposed to a completely new and misunderstood way of life. South Africa is nothing short of an amazing life changing completely enriching experience. I can not recommend it enough.

Ecolife Wildlife Management

Memorable Experience : This would be a close tie between playing with lion cubs, treating a wounded buffalo, or photographing birds in a beautiful wetland habitat.

I love Africa (its landscapes, people, and most importantly wildlife) so when I saw this opportunity to return for college credit I could not pass it up.

Accommodations range from guest houses and youth hostels to tent camping. The houses are nice but the tent camping was one of the best parts of this experience.

Ecolife Wildlife Management course

Had an amazing time. The guides, Jaco and Mary-Anne, were great. As a wildlife student the experience I gained on this trip was invaluable. To top it all off I met some amazing people that I still keep contact with, which is a big deal as I am not a "people person".

Fantastic Bush experience in Africa

Ecolife offers a great opportunity to immerse yourself in the African "Bush". Spending 3 weeks camping in several locations across the country provides an amazing hands on learning experience

An once in a lifetime experience.

Ecolife is an amazing opportunity for pre vet students to get hands on experience with wildlife in South Africa. I loved every activity we did and I learned so much about wildlife veterinary medicine and wildlife management. Thank you so much Ecolife!

A Wonderful South African Experience!

I kind of stumbled upon this trip on accident at my university. Sighing up for it was extremely easy and before I knew it I was on a plane to South Africa! Once I got there, I met the group of students from all over the world who I would be spending the next 3 weeks with. During the trip, I saw and did so many things that when looking back, I can't believe I got to do. We worked in a clinic in a township outside of Johannesburg, traveled in and around Kruger National Park, went of bush walks where we saw elephants, rhinos, giraffes, and even a cheetah, we spent time with a wildlife vet where we relocated a waterbuck, helped neuter a dog in the middle of the bush, and shot a dart gun out of a helicopter!

This trip was the best thing I have ever done in my whole life and I would go back to South Africa in a heartbeat. In fact, I am hoping to go back this summer. I have and will continue to recommend this trip to anyone who is remotely interested in veterinary medicine/animals and who wants to travel.

All in all, this was a great trip and I would HIGHLY recommend it!

A great experience worth recommending

Doing the capture release was by far my favorite part. Immersing myself into the life of a wildlife veterinarian was the experience I was looking for and EcoLife did not disappoint.

I chose this program because it was highly recommended at my school and by many other people when I had done the research. Plus, it seemed to follow the goals I had in mind.

Camping. A lot of camping. But we did stay in a few bungalows here and there. Overall, the accommodations were nice for what we were doing! :)

One Amazing Adventure!

EcoLife was a great experience that I would recommend to anyone wanting to go to vet school, participate in conservation work, or just wants a new experience! The hands-on experience is some that you will not be able to get anywhere else and the people you meet are life long friends!

Most amazing experience of my life

Memorable Experience was tracking and darting.

I chose this program because I love to travel. Needed something to make me stand out for vet school (currently in vet school now, so it worked!) I wanted to learn about adversity. I wanted to do something unfamiliar to me.

First 3 days in a cute guest house then camping the rest of the time! Not for people who don't like camping, woods/bush or using the facilities outside.

An experience that is not to be missed!

The whole trip was memorable, but the highlights were definitely going to the townships and volunteering with CLAW to vaccinate and treat the dogs there; the two days and nights we were in Mjejane where there was nothing that separated us from the wildlife; the Elephant Adventures experience was absolutely to die for; and OF COURSE doing the game capture and getting to shoot dart guns out of the helicopter! OH, and playing with the lion cubs at Ukutula!! I have a picture with one of the younger cubs and it looks like he's smiling!!

Prof. van Hoven came and presented at RUSVM and his talk was amazing! I knew that I wanted to go to Africa, but after hearing him lecture and present some really interesting facts I was set to go to his program!

They were actually much better than I expected! There were only a few nights that we did actual "roughing-it" camping and the rest of the time we were in inns and hunting lodges. I have no complaints about the accommodations at all!

Not-to-be-missed experience!!!

My only complaint for this program is that I didn't get to stay longer! RUSVM only has two week breaks between semesters, so we had a shortened trip, but it was AMAZING! I can't wait to go back, and I fully plan to do so during my clinical year!!

We only had two real "classes". It would have been interesting to do a little more with the conservation class(es), but we also had the abbreviated program due to only having two weeks

Yes, you will do some real camping with out-house and all, but TOTALLY worth it when you hear and see all of the nature around you!!

I would have liked to do just a tad more of this, but Ross has a shortened program since we only have a two week break. However going to the townships with CLAW was an experience I will never forget and I am so grateful for the opportunity!!

(We did go to the malls a few more times than I would have liked, but I think that was more the people in my group than the program...)

Amazing

Most amazing experience of my life I would do it 100 times if I could afford it! Instead I will be moving to South Africa after graduate school! I never wanted to of to South Africa until is found out about ecolife. I'm so glad I did! I learned more here then I did in any classroom. Things that will resonate with me for the rest of my life!

IF YOU DO NOT TAKE THIS PROGRAM SERIOUSLY AND THINK IT IS A VACATION...STAY HOME! GIVE YOUR SPOT TO SOMEONE WHO WILL TAKE IT SERIOUSLY.