Eastern Michigan University Header Image Eastern Michigan University Header Image

European Cultural History Program

Traveling the World and Learning

I participated in the 2014 version of the European Cultural History Tour. I loved the idea of seeing multiple countries and cultures, traveling with knowledgeable faculty and staff and getting academic credit that allowed me to understand the world in a more tangible and personal way. I don't think there is anything like that first taste of gelato from an artiginale producer in Florence, standing in the hot sun of summer, and deciding between riso (rice) or Lampone (I think that's raspberry). And doing it with some of the greatest people...friendships are formed that last forever as you travel through different countries and exploring.
This program has changed my life! I learned about the history and art of each destination, and that alone has enriched my understanding. But, it is also traveling with other cool people and professors that really makes this unique. It's like a band of adventurers with a mission to understand the world. Every year (they have been doing this since 1973) the destinations change, and the program stays fresh and exciting. I talked to former students, and they all agree that this was the best part of their undergraduate education!

Organized backpacking through Europe with...

Organized backpacking through Europe with class mixed in.