Discover Corps Header Image Discover Corps Header Image

Peru: Children of the Andes

An Amazing Journey

I travelled to Peru with DiscoverCorps with my 11 year old daughter on a "family friendly" adventure. It was all I was promised and then some. By the time I left, I felt I had made friends for life in Peru and truly lived as a part of the village of Andahuaylilas. As described in the brochure, we helped run an after school program where we worked on conversational English with children ages 8-15, we visited an orphanage where love is as big as the mountains and also toured and connected with some women of the Q'wor project. We were guests in the homes of locals and no one could have made us feel more at home than our local hosts Miguel and Julio. Both in Cusco and Andahuaylilas we were a part of a family. My daughter was never uncomfortable and she left knowing we made a difference in the lives a many. The trip was rounded out with Machu Pichu experience. I hope to travel with DiscoverCorps again soon. We also had a small but wonderful group. Thanks to all who made our experience so memorable.

Discover Corps Peru was great!

Discover Corps Peru was a great program which went far beyond our expectations. It offered the unique combination of doing a service project in the community, lots interaction with the local people, as well as seeing some beautiful tourist sites, such as the famous Machu Picchu, Inca ruins around Cusco, beautiful cathedrals and native dancing.

It took us off the beaten track to places not often seen in many overseas programs, such as walking up a mountain with a shaman to make an offering at an altar to Mother Earth, visiting an orphanage, or seeing the Q'ewar Project that empowers women through making dolls sold all over the world. The proceeds are used to fund and build a Waldorf School for local children.

Our hosts Miguel and Julio and their family were wonderful--informative, flexible, accommodating and supportive.

A Journey of the Heart and Spirit

I felt like we were embraced by the host family as part of their family circle. Our days were a mix of exploring cultural heritage sites like Saxay Waman and Machu Pichu, learning doll making skills and visiting a doll making factory "Q'ewar project" where the owners goal is to empower local women to make a living for themselves and their children. Profits of the project are used to grow the project and build a school for the children of the workers and the local community. We learned to bake bread with the family's grandmother. We hiked up the steep side of a mountain cliff with a local Shaman to make an offering to the mountain. The ceremony involved a bon fire to burn our offerings, giving the mountain an entire bottle of good wine! and then a sweet offering. Since we were all from the US, the Shaman chose Coca Cola! Even a Shaman can have a sense of humor. The size of our group was small, 5 of us; and that was perfect for this immersion journey of the heart and spirit. Each one of us left with a full heart and memories for a lifetime. One of the best experiences ever!