Discover Corps Header Image Discover Corps Header Image

Guatemala: Children of the Maya

A great experience!

Loved the ten days I spent in Guatemala. The program was well planned and offered a balance of volunteering at a local school and being involved in experiences that helped us learn about the culture and history of this beautiful country. We met wonderful caring people, interacted with the beautiful children and teachers at the school, took interesting and informative and fun trips, listened to two men offering different perspectives of the Civil War, enjoyed delicious Guatemalan food, and learned so much from our guides, Orlando and Fredy. I would highly recommend this trip!

Learning Guatemalan Culture

It is difficult to adequately express my feelings for Guatemala. The country is so beautiful yet in need of so much help.
Our wonderful hosts and quides were quite exceptional. Our tours were as enjoyable as they were informative. Our home base experience made our trip a memorable one.
I was greatly affected by the whole experience and plan to return.

Wonderful journey in the heart of the Mayan world.

The trip to Guatemala through Discover Corps was absolutely incredible. I feel that I got to see the best of what the country had to offer. Many of the excursions involved seeing lesser known wonders, which to me were the highlights of the trip. The lodging was much better than I was expecting. We stayed in a series of hotels, all of which were some of the nicest in the area, including an incredible, personal staff in Quetzaltenango. The volunteer experience was incredibly rewarding, as we were able to see the difference that we were making in the lives of the children. I loved the group I ended up with, and the guide could not have been better. It was a life changing , helpful, and intellectually stimulating trip that taught me a lot.