OTHER PROGRAM DIRECTORIES

Volunteer With Children AND Animals in South Africa

beautiful experience-superbe experience

cette experience m a permise de voyager, de decouvrir toutes sortes d animaux, des personnes extraordinaire.... une superbe experience. de plus yan et michele sont deux superbes personnes !!!!! bref que du positif

Translation:
This experience allowed me to travel and discover all sorts of animals, amazing people .... a great experience. more Yan and Michele are two beautiful people !!!!! brief but positive

DO IT!!!!

I volunteered at Daktari for 6weeks in 2011 and loved every moment!
Michele and Ian (founders) are awesome , they care a huge amount about the local community and local wildlife hich is infectious for volunteers!

I remember Michele had an injured baby bush baby we helped care for during my time at Daktari, holding & caring for that cute & fluffy bush baby was amazing, unfortunately he I'd not make it but we tried! And that's the point of Daktari, they all try to save wildlife and make a difference!

By educating the local community it will help protect wildlife now and in the future, watching personalities and attitudes of the kids that visit Daktari change during their time is a life is a life changing experience or all volunteers!

Being a part of Daktari is being part of a family!!

My home away from home

Hi all :o)

If you're looking for a volunteer experience, where you can combine working with children with the african bush and animals, this is the place.

As part of my study, I did an internship a 6 months internship at Daktari in 2006/2007, and I have been coming back every year since.

The founders Michele and Ian are fantastic people, who put their heart and soul into making a difference for not only the local children and injured animals, but also for the local community and the volunteers, who stay at Daktari :o)

At Daktari you will become part of the local community, and get an insight into the local south african way of living. At the same time, you will have a chance to influence the life of young local children - and they will influence you life as well.

And if you end up like me, Africa and Daktari will get under your skin - and you will try to get back here, at every chance you get :o)

A truly wonerful experience

I consider myself to be a pretty well-traveled man and I have had all kinds of adventures around the world and I can honestly say that my time at Daktari was among the best times of my life. I stayed at Daktari for a couple of months in 2010 and visited again for a shorter time last year and the place has only gotten better and better. It is a beautiful place and i loved being constantly surrounded by animals and having such a hands-on experience with them. When listening to a leopard roaring and being visited by a hungry porcupine while enjoying an evening beer become a regular thing you know life is good;) And driving the kids back to the village one Friday and having kids from previous groups chasing the bus and waving and calling to me made me realise what a wonderful thing Ian and Michelle (and all us volunteers) are doing. It really seems to have a positive impact on their lives. I wholeheartedly recommend it.

Daktari volunteering

Volunteering at Daktari in August 2012 is my best volunteering experience because it combined wildlife conservation and education. I've done other projects (orangutans in Borneo, pandas in China, teaching in Beijing, planting native trees in Mauritius) but this is a fantastic opportunity to make a real social impact through the one week residential program and visiting the eco club at the local secondary. It was most rewarding to see the kids confidence with animals and expressing themselves improve over the course of just 5 days in residence.

View detailed rating

Wonderful experience with kids and animals in a bush camp

In my 2 weeks at Daktari (June 2013) I learned a lot about under-privileged kids in Africa, notably that education is key for them to a better life.
Education must include a broad bundle of aspects in order to carry them personally, and the region they live in, forward: Command of the English language, knowledge about nature and environment, but also ethical and friendly behaviour count. I am happy to have contributed to a couple of children making strides forward.

Taking care of the animals at Daktari was also a very nice experience and contributed to the deep spirit of giving to support every being, to be giving and foregiving. Amazing organization, too, so no animal was ever forgotten!

I also learned new things about myself, and developed myself further. At first I was a bit doubtful whether I could do a sufficiently good job at teaching. After all, I was by far the youngest of the volunteers, and barely older than some of the kids. The good teaching material, helpful other volunteers, and just pleasant and excited kids coming in both weeks made it easy and fun for me to master the teaching well.

PS: I would have preferred to stay another week or 2, but I had to fit this into a 2 week "social project" slot at my (German) high school.

Great experience

Daktari was my first experience as a volunteer, and a great one to start.
Communication was good and quick and we got there with good directions. We were picked up and brought to the farm. Met everyone and got shown around.

For me the best part was the combination between wildlife and children. Helping both felt great and satisfying. Best was to see the kids grow as the week progressed, with the Thursday night bonfire with great dancing and singing.

The accommodations were very good for African standards and the food even better. Great to hear all the animals noise at night.

Ian & Michele are loving and warm people who dedicate their living to bringing joy and health to both animals and people. Plus Ian is very funny.

In the weekend we went on a trip to Kruger park with Greg, the house-friend. He knows about every bird and animal and shared all his knowledge during the tour. Would definitely recommend taking a trip with Greg.

We went for two weeks, because it was our first trip, but wished I went longer.

It really was a great experience and would love to go again.
Martien

PS part of the reason I choose Daktari is that you contact them directly, and not pay for intermediaries. That is why this is very affordable compared to other projects.

Amazing DAKTARI

Daktari offers a volunteers programm that will amazed you. Leopard, crocodiles, owls, austrichs, antilopes, donkey, porcupine...all the wildlife around you and you become a actor of there survival! Wow, I could not advise better programm!

9 Overall Rating

Finding the answers

I was there for a month in 2011 and though I've done volunteering before, this was one of the best.
Michele and Ian have really involved the community youth in finding answers and ways to combat the ecological devastation in their communities. The program continues with the eco-clubs. Part of the program for the kids is some tutoring in English and math which is so much needed as many of the teachers don't have much training. The kids are fun and polite, and there are games, a Lion King (movie) night and a party night before they head home again.
Working with the animals was just great too. Seeing the variety that is there along with what just comes to visit was really fun, and I learned a lot about the critters that were there, and of course had my favourites.
Meals were good and plentiful, accomodation was clean and comfortable, and I was greeted each morning by a little tree frog that would be sitting on my bathroom mirror.
So, not only value for money (there are too many of the other kind!) but great fun and a real sense that you'd helped with something worthwhile when you came home again.