Cultural Homestay International Header Image Cultural Homestay International Header Image

Teach a Host Family in Brazil with CHI's World Explorers!

So many places, so little time

The total summary of this program can be best described as this: it was unlike anything I had experienced while being exactly like what I had done before. It was completely different in that I experienced a different country from the point of view of it's people and learned about their daily routines and a bit of how they form their life-layout plan.
It was the same in the sense that the every-day house life was exactly like back home. It got to the point where several times I forgot I was a visitor and even in a foreign country.
All lot of that probably has a lot to do with the laid back culture of Brazil. I went in with plenty of worries about how to act and adapt, but half of it was done for me by this program and the family. I couldn't have picked a better country to test this program in and suspect visits to the other countries they offer are not far in the future.

In love with Sao Paulo!

I had an absolutely amazing experience on the ECVA program in Sao Paulo, Brazil in the fall of 2013. I stayed with my 2 host brothers, Joao and Paolo, for 1-month. The cool thing was that both of my hosts were close to my own age, so we basically just got to hang out a lot and get to know each other. The English lessons were really casual - CHI provided tutoring materials but I hardely used them! My host brothers wanted to learn the lyrics to American songs, movies and videos.

Both of my host brothers worked at a bank, but during different shifts. Their schedules allowed me to tutor them individually - one in the morning, and one in the evening. In my free time, I got to explore the city on my own and met some other great Brazilians. I was able to meet my local coordinator and volunteer teaching English to some other students through the agency in Brazil.

I had the weekends to travel and I went to Ubatuba and to Rio. Brazilian culture was so awesome and I made friends that I hope I will keep in touch with forever! I highly recommend the ECVA program in Brazil!