Cultural Homestay International Header Image Cultural Homestay International Header Image

Explore Spain while Living with a Host Family!

Trip dreams are made of!!

I feel so blessed to have found this program and to have been able to be a part of what they are doing!! The opportunity to live in a city and experience it as more than just a tourist really was a fabulous experience. My host felt like a dear friend right from the moment that she met me at the airport. I cried at the airport when the time came to say goodbye only one short month later. I've made a friend for life! The relaxed pace and love for life there was contagious... and the scenes weren't bad either! : )

Living in Madrid

Being a part of this program was life changing. It definitely wasn't a vacation, but it was an amazing experience I will carry for the rest of my life. The coordination and price of the trip was impressive and I knew I could always count on the program to help. The families I stayed with truly took care of me. They showed me around Spain and they were so wonderful to me. Just speaking English with them was enough for them to fill the gaps in their English knowledge. I still talk to them now and again. The culture of Spain is beautiful and carefree. The best trip abroad I have taken. I recommend this program if you truly want to be immersed in a culture.

Just the beginning

I had such an amazing time in Madrid with the family that i was with and all of the other wonderful people that i was lucky enough to meet! This trip really opened up a lot of doors and thanks to CHI I can now say that i have added these people as part of my family. I cannot wait to go back and visit! Hasta luego Madrid :)

English tutoring in Valencia

Overall, I had a great experience in Spain with ECV. My host family went above and beyond to make me feel welcome. There was never a time I felt alone. There was always someone I could talk to if I needed help. I was able to improve my Spanish language, learn about the culture, and meet new people. The only negative thing I have to say is that my friend and I did the "buddy program" and I did not feel like we were able to spend that much time together based on where we were located.

World Explorer in Madrid

CHI is an incredibly supportive program. I was based in Madrid, and the two months I spent there was a great time. The ECVA/World Explorer program was a great way for me to finance my travels outside the US, as I was volunteering my knowledge of the English language in payment for a bed and meals, which any traveler will tell you are the two most costly expenditures when traveling. I was able to visit Valencia for Las Fallas, Sevilla for Feria de Abril, and went skiing in Andorra during the program duration. I am thankful to CHI, as my direct contact in the program, Heidi, could not have been more helpful when I needed her. I was placed with a good host family, although I think the trouble we ran into was the age difference. If I could choose again, I would have looked for a family with children closer to my age. To all those looking at participating in CHI's program, I recommend you to know what it is you are looking for in a host family, as that is a HUGE part of how enjoyable your experience will be.

Home-stay in Barcelona (Sant Cugat)

My stay was good. I was safe, in a clean house, nice neighborhood, and not much else. I was a little disappointed when I found out the location was not really Barcelona, but rather a posh, quiet, pretty boring, neighborhood about 20min away from the city. I could still commute to the city on my free time, but for anyone coming here next, I would emphasize that this family will rarely go into the city with you, and that you are pretty much not part of the city at all, but rather a commuter. The family was very nice, but pretty conservative and get get pretty loud sometimes during their family argument, so just a fare warning. Back to Sant Cugat, it can get boring, but there are tons of hidden hiking trails, and a train stop that drop you off at a major trailhead. I would recommend getting a Spanish teaching podcast going and hit the mountains everyday. There's a lot of wildlife and great views out there. Otherwise, stay was good, and you're in Europe, in a beautiful country, so at the end of the day I greatly appreciated this opportunity to stay out here in Catalonia (Not Spain).