Cultural Homestay International Header Image Cultural Homestay International Header Image

Explore South Korea and Live with a Host Family!

The experience

Although this is a volunteer position, it is a great experience not only for travelers, but for teachers interested in teaching in different countries. It can give you a better understanding of the culture, family dynamics, and also about teaching itself. it is a great way to experience new and authentic things.

Conversation partner homestay

I spent two months in Korea. The first few weeks I lived with a host family in Incheon and then I moved to a host family further south in Gumi. Both families were very kind and I learned a lot about the Korean language and culture in addition to helping their children learn English. The program directors were very helpful in providing me with resources to help teach English. I did have difficulty finding activities to participate in outside of my host home since I was there for a fairly short time and it did not coincide with any of the scheduled Korean courses, but I did explore the area and there were many interesting sites. Korean food is excellent and everyone I encountered was very friendly. Often people will try to speak English to you, but they also appreciate it if you try to speak Korean.

Yeongdeok (1 month)

I was placed with a family in rural korea for one month. The family was very kind and loving, and their two adult children were eager to learn English. However, I had to travel by bus everywhere to buy things. I felt safe in Korea, and noticed that many people weren't scared of me but scared of the possibility that I might speak English to them. Public transport in Korea is not as good as Japan, so you have to ask the driver always if the bus is going to your stop. Korean food is good, but you have to worry about if it is sanitary in the countryside. The countryside is very poor in Korea, and is nothing like the city. Howevere, Korean people are very kind, and will help you if you ask for it.