Cultural Embrace by API provides an outstanding opportunity to volunteer in Latin America! Enrich your life and the lives of others by choosing to lend a heart and hand to at-need projects. We offer service work in Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Guatemala, Mexico, and Peru. Projects may include working at orphanages, wildlife conservation, construction and renovation work, medical and health, environment and wildlife conservation, community development, social welfare and services, teaching, tutoring, mentoring, and much more.
Cultural Embrace by API partners with local non-profits and NGOs to provide physical, mental, emotional, and financial support for these under-served communities. Our goals are to assist at-need and at-risk communities and to improve their standards of living, while providing you a safe and enjoyable way to embrace their culture. Follow the blogs of our current and past participants lending their hearts and hands to others, and allow it to be an inspiration for you to give back to others. By contributing your time, energy, and passion to others, you will gain a memorable, transformative and meaningful experience while traveling abroad.
Volunteer in Latin America Offers:
- First-hand experience helping the local community.
- An opportunity to broaden your perspective and worldview.
- An opportunity to participate in and learn local cultural activities (e.g.: sports, music, cooking).
- Memorable travel experiences with the chance to see exotic sites you have always dreamed about.
- The ability to make lifelong friends from around the globe.
- A valuable work experience that strengthens your resume, exhibiting your diligence, independence, and intercultural experiences.
- A great way to develop and support your self-confidence and interpersonal skills.
2-4 weeks, 3-6 months (High School), 5-8 weeks, 7-12 months (High School), 9-12 weeks
Typical Duration of Program
Opportunities start every Monday. 2 week min. - 1 year max.
In order to participate in this volunteer program, Cultural Embrace requires that you:
- Be between the ages of 18 to 70. Or, if younger than 18, you must have parental or guardian consent.
- Have good physical health.
- Be open to foreign cultures and living abroad.
- Have a high level of responsibility.
- Be dedicated to the full term of commitment.
- Be a team player.
- Enjoy providing a service and working with others in a challenging environment.
Cost in US$:
2 weeks - USD 2290 Each add'l week - USD 280 Spanish lessons: USD 275 per week (10 hrs/wk in Lima or Cusco only)
- Medical insurance
- Language instruction
- Written materials pre-departure
- Written materials abroad
Program Fees Include:
• Guaranteed Volunteer Placement Prior to Departure
Cultural Embrace by API pre-arranges your volunteer project before you leave home to ensure an easy and hassle-free transition into your new life abroad.
• Housing and Board
Basic, clean & comfortable accommodations in a volunteer guest house or with a host family. Depending upon the destination, 1-3 meals are included.
• Language & Cultural Activities
Most CE by API volunteer projects in Latin America include the first week of Spanish classes (15-20 hours). Additional Spanish classes may be added on to your program. Portuguese lessons in Brazil are included in Salvador de Bahia, or you many opt for lessons in the other cities. Most volunteer placement locations will have cultural activities either included or for a nominal fee (ie: salsa/merengue lessons, cooking classes, weaving, hiking/sight-seeing).
• Visa Assistance
All volunteers to Latin America travel on the tourist visa. Please contact the country’s Embassy or Consulate to check details, or ask your CE by API coordinator. Please note that any visa fees are the responsibility of the applicant. While we can assist you during the process, ultimately it is your responsibility to ensure that you have obtained the appropriate visa for your work experience. Cultural Embrace by API has no control over the visa process and cannot guarantee that your visa application will be accepted.
• Arrival Pick-Up and Orientation
All volunteers are picked up at the airport by our local coordinator who will then help them settle into the guest house or host family. The first week includes introductions and orientation to help you settle into your project.
• Cultural Embrace by API Culture Kit
Before your departure, we will send you a cultural kit that is filled with useful tips, advice, information, and your insurance card to prepare you for your amazing adventure of living and working abroad.
• Medical, Life, & Travel Insurance
Medical and life insurance is provided for all participants during the program term. This insurance coverage includes medical evacuation and repatriation, as well as 24-hour support services for medical & travel issues.
• Full-time Representation
Cultural Embrace by API provides English-speaking representation in the United States and Latin America prior to, during, and after your placement.
• TOMS Shoes, a One for One™ Giving Product
Upon completion of your program and online evaluations, you will receive a pair of TOMS Shoes. With every product purchased, TOMS will help a person in need. One for One™. Giving back is part of our ethos. We share the vision of the TOMS mission - to help contribute to making a positive impact abroad by providing a pair of shoes to a child in need.
• Optional international mobile plan with data coverage
Opt for an AT&T mobile plan that offers low international rates, no roaming charges in over 150 countries, and bundled data and text. Current AT&T customers may simply add the coverage to their current plan and billing. Non-AT&T customers may use their own phone and swap with an AT&T SIM card.
- Animal Welfare
- Building Maintenance
- Building/construction Projects
- Community Development
- English Teaching
- Health Care
- Health Education
- Social Services, Social Work
- Volunteer Management
- Wildlife Surveying
Be between the ages of 21 to 70.
This Program is open to
Worldwide Participants. This Program is also open to Families, Couples and Individuals.
Typical Living Arrangements
- Group living
Independently or in Groups
Typically Participants Work
Independently or in Groups
Application Process Involves
- Disciplinary Clearance Form
- Physical Exam/Health Records
- Phone/Video Interview
- Letters of Reference
- Written Application
Typically The Application Process Time is
2 weeks-1 year
Post Services Include
- Exit Debriefing Abroad