Crossroads Eurasia  Header Image Crossroads Eurasia  Header Image

Crossroads Eurasia summer internships in Russia

My teaching experience in Voronezh

This summer I had the opportunity to spend five weeks teaching English in Voronezh, Russia. Although I know many classmates who made trips to Russia to take language classes, making the decision to teach English there instead was one of my best decisions when it came to understanding foreign cultures. Not only was the Crossroads Eurasia staff incredibly helpful with the process of taking care of the paperwork necessary for going abroad, but they took care of my living accommodations, food, and internship placement. I was able to teach young Russian Business professionals English and made close relationships with them both in and outside of the classroom, and had a flexible schedule which allowed for me to travel often within the surrounding region. Not many people who travel abroad are able to make friends with so many natives of the region they visit, especially with study abroad trips that restrict your communication to students from your own country. In addition, I became incredibly close with my host family, and they helped me develop my Russian speaking skills and cultural knowledge of Russia to a level I never could have if I read from a textbook all day. If you want an opportunity to develop professional skills by teaching your language to others, travel, learn a new language, and make life-long friends, Crossroads Eurasia is the program for you!

Wonderful opportunity for professional and personal growth

My experience with Crossroads Eurasia in Ryazan, Russia was nothing short of incredible. The administration, as well as the in-country support network, work hard not only to ensure that participants are comfortable and taken care of, but also that they get as much exposure to the local culture as possible. The program offers the unique opportunity to live and work in smaller cities, which provides participants with an understanding of what it means to live in Russia outside of major international metropolises, such as Moscow or St. Petersburg. I am confident that the professional and personal relationships that I made will last a lifetime.

I would recommend this program to anyone even remotely interested in learning more about the Russian language, culture, and way of life.

Best way to do an Internship in Russia

I would highly recommend going through Crossroads Eurasia to anybody who is interested in doing an internship in Russia. They take care of everything for you in a professional and timely manner. From the very beginning, they make you feel welcome. Once you are in Russia, they make you feel safe and they check up on you from time to time.

Wonderful experience in a gorgeous Russian provincial city

Working with Kristina, Katya, and Anna was absolutely fantastic, and the work was different every day, allowing my Russian to improve tremendously over three months.

Since the internship was only 20 hours per week, I was also able to travel to surrounding cities on weekends and explore different attractions around Voronezh in my spare time. My host family (who was actually a couple close to my age, so they were more like host friends :D) was so nice; it was a blast hanging out with them.

My summer in Voronezh is certainly not one I will soon forget!

Essential Insight to the "Real" Russia

Crossroads is excellent at providing good cultural experience amongst friendly staff members and their friends, who grow to become your own friends. Taking you places you've most likely never been to before (which was, for me, Ryazan), Crossroads is excellent preparation for programs such as Fulbright and provides great language practice and cultural insight for Russian studies majors. If you're down for seeing the real side of Russia, then Crossroads Eurasia is definitely worth taking a look at!

Crossroads is a great experience!

I did the program in Summer 2012 and learned so much from the entire experience. I taught English at two different summer camps for kids. Although it was hard work, and sometimes frustrating, I really learned a lot about myself, I learned how much I love working with kids, and I got a lot of really great experience immersing myself in Russian language and culture while living abroad. I highly recommend this program for people that speak Russian very well, and even for people who barely know any - it's a great program and you're sure to learn a lot.

Great Professional Development, Exposure to "Real Russia"

I have participated in a number of work and study programs in Russia, and Crossroads is by far one of the best. I worked as an English teacher with Linguist and as a translator for Livestock Link in Voronezh, Russia. The experience helped me to develop marketable skills and has really given me a great jumping-off foundation for further travel and work in Russia other post-Soviet states. The work itself was fun and left a lot of room for flexibility and creativity. The program is well-executed, and the staff is extremely friendly and supportive at every stage of the process.

Life-Changing.

I interned in Ryazan, Russia through Crossroads Eurasia in Summer 2012. There are really no words that can describe the experience, except that it was absolutely life-changing, and one that I know I will never forget. I taught English and Spanish at a small private language school, and one of the most valuable experiences was the fact that practically all of my students became my friends. I even had a summer romance. :) Three years later, I am still in touch with a few of the students and teachers at the language school. Ryazan was a wonderful city and the fact that my host was a girl my age really gave me an authentic, fun experience. It was very easy to join her and her friends in going out to bars, plays, to the circus, etc. It was also definitely a trip of many incredible firsts: first time horseback riding, first time feeding a 'zubr' (kind of like a buffalo, but they're only found in Russia), first time grilling kabobs in the middle of a forest, first time hugging a birch tree, etc. The full list is pretty extensive. I would definitely recommend the program to anyone. It's about as authentic as you can get if you really want to experience the Russian culture.

Valuable experience

My Crossroads Eurasia trip was a wonderful way to strengthen my experience teaching English to non-native speakers. The six weeks that I spent in Ryazan was a good combination of cultural experience, teaching exposure, and freedom to explore! The support for resident Americans was steady and thorough, as everybody spoke good English, and the students were friendly and eager to learn. Additionally, my host family was wonderful and outgoing. All in all, invaluable!

Summer in Ryazan

Teaching English in Ryazan was not just a chance to teach students the difference between 'say', 'talk', 'speak' and 'tell'; it was an unforgettable look into the real world of Russia and its wonderful people. Throughout my time on the program I made many friends with whom I still keep in touch and plan on seeing again, hopefully.

The cultural exposure for those interested in Russia is unforgettable - not only do you get to do all the Russian-like things you would expect, such as banyas and camping trips with samogon, but you get to experience it with people your age, their friends, and their friends ... it's not a tour agency by any means. Almost anything can happen when you agree to a Russian's plans to go out into the countryside, and those who cherish natural beauty among good company should consider this program!

Overall, the time I spent in Ryazan was both fruitful and enlightening. It could get difficult at times being one of less than a dozen Americans within the surrounding hundred kilos, but in the end, that was part of the grand beauty I experienced this past summer in Russia. I came to see the Russians I came to meet not as Russians, but as human beings, and, moreover, as good friends.

Great experience to kickstart undergraduate career

Spending 5 weeks teaching English at a summer camp in Nerekhta ended up solidifying my decision to invest in Russian for the rest of my college career.
At the time, I only had two semesters of Russian language learning under my belt. It was enough to get by, but communication struggles were very common. However, this is the perfect opportunity to pick up the language -- I ended up skipping an entire year of the Russian language sequence at my university once I returned to school in the fall.
My host family was very sweet, caring, and understanding. They were just as happy to have me and learn about me as I was them.
Though the schedule over the 5 weeks was pretty tight, we were lucky enough to be provided with excursions to the major nearby cities over the weekends. Our transport and stays were covered even then.
Both the counselors and young campers were eager to befriend the English-speakers and teach us plenty of Russian words and phrases that you wouldn't learn in a classroom.
Overall, it was a great program -- especially for the cost -- and I saw more of Russia than I did on my formal study abroad program in Russia later on.

Teaching English in a East Russian City

I felt fully immersed in the culture, as I had to navigate much of the time on my own. This was a great way to push myself (especially since I knew no Russian prior). That said, this program is definitely not for those who are not experienced traveler's or who are uncomfortable with a great degree of independence in a foreign country. The teaching experience was good but I probably could have worked more. The social atmosphere was great and I had a wonderful time getting to know the Russian assistants as well as international friends.

Great Program for Quick Russian Learning

Crossroads Eurasia is a great program for those whose primary goal is to learn Russian quickly via exposure. As you are placed in cities in provincial Russia, you see the real Russia and speak almost exclusively in Russian. As such, your language skills will increase very quickly and you will see Russia in the truest sense (as opposed to a more Westernized experience in Moscow or St.Petersburg). For those who enjoy teaching English, the working aspect is very enjoyable as well.