China: Beijing, Chengde, Zhangjiakou
We offer affordable volunteer and intern abroad programs in Africa, Asia, and Latin America. The programs are customized for you with flexible work schedule and start date. Affordable program fees start from only USD 180 (accommodation, meals, and 24/7 local support included). Our programs are designed to help local communities while at the same time providing valuable learning and cultural experience.
China is the largest country by landmass in Asia. Over 1.3 billion people live in China. Even though China has maintained a high growth rate (averaged per capita growth of 8.7%) for more than 30 years, there are still 200 million people in China live on less than USD1 a day. Our programs are designed to help the local communities at the same time of providing a rewarding learning and living experience to our volunteers. We have flexible start dates/durations, and customized programs tailored just for you.
We have volunteer work placements in both urban and rural China. Most volunteer placements take place in surrounding areas of the capital city Beijing, namely the beautiful town of Chengde and Zhangjiakou.
* Formerly known in English as Peking, Beijing is the capital of the People's Republic of China. Beijing is one of the six ancient cities in China. Beijing is recognised as the political, educational, and cultural center of the People's Republic of China. More than 140 foreign embassies are located in Beijing.
* Both Chengde and Zhangjiakou are very close to Beijing, about 2 hours drive or a few hours by train. As one of the most famous historic and cultural cities of the nation, Chengde has incredible sceneries. The Mountain Resort and Eight Outer Temples are listed as the world cultural heritage sites, which have made Chengde a famous city worldwide. Zhangjiakou is a real Chinese city, as yet unspoilt by the arrival of Western Tourists. Indeed it was a city closed to foreigners for military reasons until about 20 years ago. Even today there will be very few foreigners. As a result visitors are made very welcome in Zhangjiakou.
1-2 Week, 2-4 Week, 5-8 Week, 9-12 Week, 3-6 Month
Throughout the year
You can arrive any week of the month, any month of the year.
- Language Immersion
- Native Culture Studies
* You must be 18 years or over at the start of the program. For participants who are 16-17 years old at the start of the program, it is possible to enroll if the parent or legal guardian gives permission and signs our waiver form to waive our liability.
* You must be able to speak English.
* Medical placement volunteers must have relevant medical training and certification (to be presented on arrival in China).
- Admin (Health Services)
- Sustainable Development
- Social Work
- Women's Studies
- Health Sciences
- Business Admin, Management
Type of Programs
- Adventure Travel
- Community Service / Volunteerism
- Cultural Exploration
Cost in US$:
Starts at USD 180
Program Fees Include:
What is included?
- Arrival Welcome at the Airport or Train Station
- Program Orientation
- Accommodation and Meals
- Volunteer Work Placement
- 24/7 Hotline for On-Site Support
- Regular Cultural/Recreational Activities (Personal spending not included)
What is not included?
- International or Local Transportation Costs (One way local bus tickets in China cost around USD0.2.)
- Medical/Travel Insurance
- Visa Application Costs
- Community Development
- Community Organizing
- Disability Issues
- Economic Development
- Health Care
- Professional Services
- Sports Volunteering
- Technical Assistance
Over 18. For participants who are 16-17 years old at the start of the program, it is possible to enroll if the parent or legal guardian gives permission and signs our waiver form to waive our liability.
This Program is open to
Worldwide Participants. This Program is also open to Families, Couples and Individuals.
Typical Living Arrangements
Typically Participants Work
Independently or in Groups
Application Process Involves
- Online Application
Typically The Application Process Time is
Post Services Include
- Alumni Network