2 Clinton Place New Rochelle, NY 10801 United States
Costa Rica: Cartago
Fall, Spring, Summer, Winter, Trimester, Academic Year, Throughout the year
1-2 weeks, 2-4 weeks, 5-8 weeks, 9-12 weeks
Typical Duration of Program
Beginning at various dates year-round
Volunteering abroad is the opportunity of a lifetime and our flexible short-term programs let you design your ideal experience overseas. Volunteer from 1 week to 3 months in Costa Rica, in meaningful projects that will let you work side-by-side with local people and experience the Costa Rican culture like never before.
As an international volunteer with Cross-Cultural Solutions, you're making a positive contribution, by sharing in the goals of a Costa Rican community that warmly welcomes you. You'll gain new perspectives and insight into Costa Rica's culture and yourself. It's an exciting and personally inspiring experience, and you'll develop memories that will stay with you forever.
Cross-Cultural Solutions first began accepting volunteers in Costa Rica in the summer of 2002 in rural town of San Carlos, and in Winter 2004 expanded to Cartago, the nation's former capital and third largest city. With well over 2,000 inspired and enthusiastic Costa Rica volunteers spreading the word, CCS opened a new program site in the Spring of 2007 in Puriscal, a small town in the west coast of the country.
Volunteers and interns in San Carlos and Puriscal are involved with caring for infants and children, teaching children, teaching English, assisting teachers, sharing their professional skills/experience, caring for the elderly, caring for people with disabilities, and assisting teachers of special education. Volunteer work in Cartago centers around education and social services. Many volunteer placements are with children, in local schools or orphanages, though there are some placements with the elderly as well.
Cross-Cultural Solutions is a recognized leader in the field of international volunteering, with more than 4,000 volunteers each year. Founded in 1995, we are an international not-for-profit organization with no political or religious affiliations. CCS has a worldwide staff of more than 300 people, and operates in 12 countries, with administrative offices also located in the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, and Australia. We are in Special Consultative Status with the United Nations, and have been profiled in more than 500 news outlets.
In 1948, Costa Rica abolished its military in favor of working toward social improvement, a decision that made the country a pillar of stability in Central America. Along with its history and geography, it is this sense of progressive thought for which Ticos (the people of Costa Rica) have great pride. With the Pacific Ocean on one side and the Caribbean Sea on the other, Costa Rica is known throughout the world for its stunning beaches and lush green rainforests.
In Costa Rica, the beautiful geography and fabulous weather is overshadowed only by the beauty and warmth of its people -- the emphasis on community and family is truly awe-inspiring.
Cross-Cultural Solutions offers a wide variety of programs and experiences, but all of our volunteers come away with the same benefits:
* Personal Growth
* Having a Purpose
* Gaining Independence and Confidence
* Connecting with Others
* Seeing a Country from the Inside-Out
The CCS Home-Base
CCS offers volunteers unprecedented support, and our entire infrastructure is designed around volunteer safety. Each of our programs is located close to a CCS Home-Base, your "home away from home" while volunteering abroad. Each Home-Base is exclusively for CCS volunteers, and designed for your safety and comfort. Here, you can connect with other volunteers and CCS staff, reflect on your experiences, enjoy meals together, read and relax.
The CCS experience also includes cultural and learning activities so that you can learn about the local culture. These include an in-depth orientation, language training, guest speakers and more. Volunteers also have plenty of free time to relax, reflect or explore the community and country.
No special skills or experience required. Costa Rican culture is conservative and traditional, where respect and reputation are of high importance. Because we strive to integrate with the community, volunteers in this program tend to dress professionally and should take a serious approach to volunteering.
Visit our website for program fees.
What you get for the fee:
* Personalized Volunteer Placement with our Partner Programs, based on your skills and interests, including all the coordination, in-person visits and communication necessary with each local organization.
* In-country Perspectives Programming that includes excursions to nearby points of interest, special events and discussions with a variety of local cultural, professional, governmental and community agencies and people.
* Cross-Cultural Solutions' Home-Base structure, providing you with a comfortable, safe place to live, the basic amenities, all of your meals, and transportation to and from all Cross-Cultural Solutions' placements and programs.
* An experienced U.S. based Cross-Cultural Solutions Program Manager (and former volunteer with Cross-Cultural Solutions) who will serve as your coordinator, guide, and liaison with our in-country staff.
* In-country basic language assistance (optional).
* Professional, locally-based staff to provide orientation, supervision and guidance throughout your stay.
* Travel medical insurance and emergency evacuation insurance, applicable to participants worldwide.
* Important documents, including in-depth pre-departure packs, orientation information, and all in-country informational materials.
* Country-based airport transportation.
* Local phone calls.
* In-coming international phone service.
* A toll-free 24-hour emergency hotline in the U.S.
While other volunteer programs may require certain skills or degrees, Cross-Cultural Solutions' programs are open to everyone. No matter what you believe your skill level to be, you have something meaningful and helpful to offer. We are dedicated to providing a meaningful placement for anyone willing to volunteer and believe that the only skills required for international volunteering are a willingness to learn and an open mind.
18 and older, younger volunteers accepted with application
Worldwide Participants. This Program is also open to Families, Couples and Individuals.
Our mission is to operate volunteer programs around the world in partnership with sustainable community initiatives, bringing people together to work side-by-side while sharing perspectives and fostering cultural understanding. We are an international not-for-profit organization with no political or religious affiliations.
I participated as a volunteer in the CCS Cartago program which was nothing short of amazing. The staff in Cartago has every detail of the program buttoned-up from my pick-up at the airport to my r...More
Did you participate on a program with Cross-Cultural Solutions?
Share your thoughts!