2 Clinton Place New Rochelle, NY 10801 United States
Ghana: Ho, Hohoe
Fall, Summer, Winter, Throughout the year
1-2 weeks, 2-4 weeks, 5-8 weeks, 9-12 weeks
Typical Duration of Program
Beginning at various dates year-round
Work to improve the lives of Ghana's residents during your time abroad with Cross-Cultural Solutions (CCS). Spend 1 to 12 weeks as a volunteer in the Volta Region are with locally-run organizations, dedicated to changing lives of the locals. Important services to the community are well-served by the human support our volunteers provide.
As a volunteer in Ghana, you will gain unparalleled access to a country that is rich with the traditions of West African culture. Ghana was the first African country to gain independence and while the official language of Ghana is English, more than 70 different languages are spoken. Ghana's landscape is diverse - it has low bush lands and grassy plains in the north, rich tropical rainforests in the central belt and plains and scrub surround a sandy coastline.
Volunteers in Ghana are involved with caring for infants and children, teaching children, teaching English, assisting teachers, working towards women's empowerment, sharing their professional skills/experience, observing and assisting local health professionals and assisting teachers of special education.
Cross-Cultural Solutions is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization that addresses critical global issues by providing meaningful and sustainable volunteer service to communities abroad, and investing in the local economies and people.
To-date, more than 25,000 people have participated in our volunteer programs, providing over two million hours of service to communities we serve in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and Eastern Europe. The continuous, year-round service that CCS provides creates opportunities for cultural exchange; promotes education, childhood development, and healthy living; encourages domestic volunteering and awareness of community needs; breaks down stigmas and stereotypes; and improves quality of life.
Cross-Cultural Solutions operates in the Volta Region, the heart of the Ewe tribe. The Volta Region is one of Ghana's most picturesque, with a lush landscape and low, rolling mountains. In this region, you will come across old slave forts, indicative of Ghana's darker past, and many farms and local fishing areas. The region also includes several small farming and fishing villages along the coast of the African Gulf.
Known for their laid-back manner, Ghanaians just may be the happiest people on earth. They love to laugh and do not like to rush, as time is never an issue.
Cross-Cultural Solutions offers a wide variety of programs and experiences, but all of our volunteers come away with the same benefits:
* Personal Growth
* Having a Purpose
* Gaining Independence and Confidence
* Connecting with Others
* Seeing a Country from the Inside-Out
The CCS Home-Base
CCS offers volunteers unprecedented support, and our entire infrastructure is designed around volunteer safety. Each of our programs is located close to a CCS Home-Base, your "home away from home" while volunteering abroad. Each Home-Base is exclusively for CCS volunteers, and designed for your safety and comfort. Here, you can connect with other volunteers and CCS staff, reflect on your experiences, enjoy meals together, read, and relax.
The CCS experience also includes cultural and learning activities so that you can learn about the local culture. These include an in-depth orientation, language training, guest speakers and more. Volunteers also have plenty of free time to relax, reflect, or explore the community and country.
No special skills or experience required.
Visit our website for program fees.
What you get for the fee
* Personalized Volunteer Placement with our Partner Programs, based on your skills and interests, including all the coordination, in-person visits and communication necessary with each local organization.
* In-country Perspectives Programming that includes excursions to nearby points of interest, special events and discussions with a variety of local cultural, professional, governmental and community agencies and people.
* Cross-Cultural Solutions' Home-Base structure, providing you with a comfortable, safe place to live, the basic amenities, all of your meals, and transportation to and from all Cross-Cultural Solutions' placements and programs.
* An experienced U.S. based Cross-Cultural Solutions Program Manager (and former volunteer with Cross-Cultural Solutions) who will serve as your coordinator, guide, and liaison with our in-country staff.
* In-country basic language assistance (optional).
* Professional, locally-based staff to provide orientation, supervision and guidance throughout your stay.
* Travel medical insurance and emergency evacuation insurance, applicable to participants worldwide.
* Important documents, including in-depth pre-departure packs, orientation information, and all in-country informational materials.
* Country-based airport transportation.
* Local phone calls.
* In-coming international phone service.
* A toll-free 24-hour emergency hotline in the U.S.
While other volunteer programs may require certain skills or degrees, Cross-Cultural Solutions' programs are open to everyone. No matter what you believe your skill level to be, you have something meaningful and helpful to offer. We are dedicated to providing a meaningful placement for anyone willing to volunteer, and believe that the only skills required for international volunteering are a willingness to learn and an open mind.
18 and older, younger volunteers accepted with application
Worldwide Participants. This Program is also open to Families, Couples and Individuals.
Our mission is to operate volunteer programs around the world in partnership with sustainable community initiatives, bringing people together to work side-by-side while sharing perspectives and fostering cultural understanding. We are an international not-for-profit organization with no political or religious affiliations.
I had always wanted to visit West Africa and CCS seemed like a safe way to visit while being more than a tourist. I spent a month at the more rural Woe site and for my project recorded oral histor...More
My two son's are now young adults so I decided to do something 'life-changing' for myself and started looking into volunteering abroad. I found CCS on the internet and they appeared to offer the m...More
Did you participate on a program with Cross-Cultural Solutions?
Share your thoughts!