Ghana: Ho, Hohoe
Cross-Cultural Solutions is a nonprofit working to address critical global issues by providing meaningful volunteer service to communities abroad, and contributing responsibly to local economies. As a leader in the field of international volunteer travel for over 18 years, we know that the best approach to international volunteering—the only approach—is one designed by the community. In every community in which we work, we have long-standing relationships with local organizations who communicate real-time needs and objectives to the CCS team so that our volunteers can work alongside local people and make a sustainable impact. Since 1995, we've made the volunteer abroad experience of a lifetime possible over 30,000 international adventurers just like you. And with our staff of 300+ in 10 countries around the globe, along with our 99.5% volunteer satisfaction record, you can rest assured that we'll provide you with the full experience—a safe, immersive, and impactful adventure of a lifetime.
As a volunteer in Ghana, you'll find a unique richness everywhere you look, from the country's cultural history to its varied expanses of wilderness and coastline. Known for its exceptionally warm national character, Ghana, meaning "Warrior King," is a place where visitors are welcomed as friends. In the Volta Region, home to the Ewe people, you will become family. Become a CCS Ghana volunteer and experience firsthand the culture and tradition of a place that you've only ever dreamed of.
The ever-growing population of the Volta Region has resulted in a notable strain on vital social resources. In recent years, many advances have been made to improve healthcare, hygiene, and education. However, malnutrition, disease, and the large economic divide between well-paid workers and low-paid workers have all posed significant obstacles to Ghana's progress.
As a volunteer in Ghana, you'll have an opportunity to effect real social change in a community dealing with all of the growing pains experienced by a region in flux.
Our impact areas are:
• Improve education for children
• Assist with the care of infants and children
• Improve the quality of care for people with disabilities
• Support those affected by HIV/AIDS
Here at CCS, we know that a chance to learn about the culture of the community in which you're volunteering is what truly makes the experience unique and complete. This is why we include plenty of immersive Cultural Activities to complement your volunteer efforts. As a volunteer, it isn't only the work that you do that will leave a lasting impact on the local community, but the cultural exchange and understanding in which you openly participate as well. Whether you're engaging in guided discussions on relevant local issues, or find yourself elbow deep in rice flour and learning how to cook a local specialty, every organized Cultural Activity will offer you a deeper understanding of the local community and all of its beautiful complexities.
Take a chance to speak to the locals in the native language while staying at CCS Ghana. Although English is Ghana's official language, you’ll still have the opportunity to learn Ewe, the mother tongue of Ghana's Volta Region and neighboring Togo as well. After just one round of biweekly classes held at your Home-Base, you’ll be ready to greet your new neighbors in the local language. Take some time to hang with the monkeys also during Cultural Activities. Monkeys live in harmony with local people and are considered the sacred vessels of ancestral spirits in the Tafi-Atome Monkey Sanctuary. The monkeys are very friendly and love playing and posing for photos with volunteers, especially when there’s a banana in it for them, so come prepared.
1-2 Week, 2-4 Week, 5-8 Week, 9-12 Week
Fall, Summer, Winter, Throughout the year
Beginning at various dates year-round
No special skills or experience required.
- Food Science and Nutrition
- Health Sciences
- Occupational, Envir. Health
- Social Sciences
- Social Work
Cost in US$:
Visit our website for program fees.
- Medical insurance
- Medical services
- Emergency evacuation services
- Language instruction
- Pre-departure orientation/Training
- In-country orientation/Training
- In-country staff support
- Registration fees
- Written materials pre-departure
- Written materials abroad
Program Fees Include:
What you get for the fee
* Personalized Volunteer Placement with our Partner Programs, based on your skills and interests, including all the coordination, in-person visits and communication necessary with each local organization.
* In-country Perspectives Programming that includes excursions to nearby points of interest, special events and discussions with a variety of local cultural, professional, governmental and community agencies and people.
* Cross-Cultural Solutions' Home-Base structure, providing you with a comfortable, safe place to live, the basic amenities, all of your meals, and transportation to and from all Cross-Cultural Solutions' placements and programs.
* An experienced U.S. based Cross-Cultural Solutions Program Manager (and former volunteer with Cross-Cultural Solutions) who will serve as your coordinator, guide, and liaison with our in-country staff.
* In-country basic language assistance (optional).
* Professional, locally-based staff to provide orientation, supervision and guidance throughout your stay.
* Travel medical insurance and emergency evacuation insurance, applicable to participants worldwide.
* Important documents, including in-depth pre-departure packs, orientation information, and all in-country informational materials.
* Country-based airport transportation.
* Local phone calls.
* In-coming international phone service.
* A toll-free 24-hour emergency hotline in the U.S.
- Community Centers
- Community Development
- Community Health
- Community Organizing
- Curriculum Planning
- English Teaching
- Health Care
- Health Education
- Popular Education
- Primary Education
- Professional Services
- Public Education
- Youth Development
While other volunteer programs may require certain skills or degrees, Cross-Cultural Solutions' programs are open to everyone. No matter what you believe your skill level to be, you have something meaningful and helpful to offer. We are dedicated to providing a meaningful placement for anyone willing to volunteer, and believe that the only skills required for international volunteering are a willingness to learn and an open mind.
18 and older, younger volunteers accepted with application
This Program is open to
Worldwide Participants. This Program is also open to Families, Couples and Individuals.
Typically Participants Work
Application Process Involves
- Written Application
Post Services Include
- Alumni Network
- Exit Debriefing Abroad
- Re-Entry Debriefing at Home