Corkscrew Startup Experienceships participants Corkscrew Startup Experienceships participants

Startup Experienceship in the UK

Gave me the tools to start my own business

I did this course in April 2014 and learnt so much from it. When I came home I really had the confidence to start my own business which I ran for six months. The quality of the teaching and the support offered is really second to none and it's unlike any internship anywhere else. I made great friends and learnt so much . GO CORKSCREW!

Corkscrew

Really excellent internship, thoroughly enjoyed the 4 weeks and learned a lot about start ups. Would highly recommend this experience to anyone! Overall I felt like i left the course having gained valuable experience and a great thing to add to my CV. In terms of coordination and guidance the two guys, Neil and Tom go above and beyond to help everyone out in anyway possible.

Internship

It was a total eye opener. I loved every second and learned so much useful things. It changed me into a better version of myself and I now believe that I can make a difference. And I will.

I got to know fantastic people and had the most incredible teachers. Words can not describe how thankful I am for working with them during those four weeks. Actually, one word can: grateful.

If you have the opportunity to go- just go. In some ways, it will change your life.

An Unexpected Unbeatable Opportunity

I had the opportunity to be part of CS17 back in June 2014.

I was placed on the internship after an application for another internship fell through, and to be honest it was a blessing in disguise...

I have never experienced a place where you can learn such a vast amount of business skills in such a short timeframe, and still feel like you're not even working! The environment is high-energy, motivating, and the mentors are fully committed to helping you realise your abilities and potential.

Work:
Your days are split between improving your own business and entrepreneurial skills, and consulting for a local business or organisation. Skills session are always fun and engaging, with brilliant presentation materials keeping you concentrated (the free tea and coffee also helps!). The consulting work is also a great opportunity to experience responsibility in project management, decision-making and working as a team, seeing as you are completely responsible for any recommendations given. The four weeks culminate in a Dragon's Den/Shark Tank competition where you present a new business idea to a group of mock investors (a brilliant night that brings together all the hard work you do over the four weeks) ... So there's a lot of work for four weeks, but you'll never be tired of it once!

Social Life and People:
The internship is an amazing opportunity to meet like-minded people from all over the world. I was fortunate to have an amazing group of people (from Ireland, USA, UK, Germany, Spain, Netherlands, Lithuania, Nigeria, China, Taiwan, Puerto Rico). You'll work with them in groups and come up with crazy ideas together... but that's just during work! They're are so many opportunities to socialise in Exeter (go to the pub / cycle to the coast / day trips to nearby towns and cities) that you become great friends very quickly! And yes, this still all happened in four weeks!

It doesn't matter what age you are, where you come, what you do ... If you're looking for an opportunity to learn some essential business and entrepreneurial skills in a vibrant and cooperative environment, I could not recommended any other place to do it than Corkscrew!

Go for it!

What can i say about Corkscrew? To this day i still think about all of the fun i had on the programme. I had a fantastic experience which helped me to grow as a person through various challenges by coming up with a business idea in the space of a week whilst learning how to work as part of a team with students from all different cultural backgrounds.
I would like to thank Tom and Neil for all of their help towards me on the programme and to this day they still continue to help me when in need of assistance.
Following my first year of working in the real world the experiences that i have had, idea that i created on the programme is becoming more real to me and i am beginning to express interest in starting my own business in Health and Safety. I'm not sure what area i will go into though!

Best of luck with all of your work in the future. If you need any more reviews or assistance from any of your participants which will assist with the expansion of your company, just go for it and ask Corners!

Best wishes

Corners :)

An incredible learning experience

I had a great time at Corkscrew - I learned more in four weeks than I had during a full year in formal entrepreneurship education. The program is informative and engaging, with creative group work as well as individual challenges on each topic within business startup. I had a chance to develop an idea that I'd had for a long time and turn it into a real business venture. I made great connections with my fellow group members - we're still in touch today. My host family were really accommodating and welcoming, I ate some gorgeous traditional english grub.
Overall, going through the Corkscrew program gave me more confidence, more direction in my professional life, and the skills to keep developing myself as a creative entrepreneur.