OTHER PROGRAM DIRECTORIES

Internships in Cape Town, South Africa with Connect-123!

Cape Town Internship

I spent 3 months over the summer working for an environmental company in Cape Town. Connect 123 were amazing in organising all of the elements of my trip and I couldn't have asked to be matched with a better company. The team at Connect 123 made me feel really at home and no request seemed to much for them.

Heartbreaking Paradise

My experience in Cape Town was bittersweet my time there was filled with excitement and new experiences but the work was hard. I spent my 3 months in Cape Town working at Refugee Centre. The stories I heard there were heart wrenching but I wouldn't trade my exeprience for anything. Throughout my time there I began to understand how a non profit in a devoloping country works from the financial setbacks to the day to day problems. I also left with a better understanding of the refugee community. Although their stories are unfathomable it inspires you and humbles you. Having this perspective from the internship helped me to enjoy my days off in Cape Town even more. Connect made it very easy for me to feel comfortable and at home. The workers are friendly and easy to talk to. When I was feeling sick they offered to take me to the clinic and checked up on me everyday to make sure I was okay. Having thier biweekly socials and weekend events makes it so easy to make friends. Everytime you go to an event you meet another intern from a different place wide eyed and filled with excitement. Before you know it you and the intern on your way to skydiving, sand boarding, shark cage diving or whatever crazy adventure you feel like going on that day. I could go on forever about my experience in Cape Town there is plenty to do, it is easy to make friends and Connect makes the transition process as smooth as possible. I definitely recommend using them if your thinking of interning in Cape Town you won't regret it.

Awesome!

Connect-123 did a good job arranging my internship, accommodation and facilitating my stay here. Because of their tremendous help, I faced little hassle in settling down and making Cape Town my home for 5 months. The coordinators are always there to fix any problems promptly and efficiently. Also, they are very friendly and willing to help any time. I’ve also forged valuable friendships here with the other interns, despite coming from different countries with cultural differences. The smooth transition from Singapore to Cape Town and my fellow interns definitely contributed to the amazing experience I’ve had here.
I worked in a non-profit which focuses on refugees’ rights, and I have learnt a lot from it. I familiarized myself with South Africa’s human rights law and refugee law, which demonstrated the gap between theory and reality. My internship exposed me to the injustices that many refugees faced, and it was a harsh reminder that human rights progress is still far from maturity in South Africa.

Besides the internship, Cape Town as a whole is amazing. The experience here will not be complete without hiking up the many mountains this place got to offer, as well as exploring the Cape Malay quarters in Bo-Kaap, the bustling nightlife in Long Street, the scenic route from Muizenberg to Simon’s Town, and most importantly, interacting with the friendly locals. The best part is, Connect-123 arranges many tours to the various attractions, thus making it more convenient for those who prefer to experience everything without the hassle of planning them.