Connect-123 Internship & Volunteer Programs Header Image Connect-123 Internship & Volunteer Programs Header Image

Internships in Cape Town, South Africa with Connect-123!

Child life in Cape Town

My experience traveling to South Africa this past summer has been life-changing. Being able to learn by seeing and doing in a culture different from my own has allowed me to grow both personally and professionally; and this has given me many skills and experiences to bring home with me. The Connect-123 team had been absolutely incredible during our time in Cape Town through the guidance, support, and genuine care they displayed to us. I am confident that I will use each and every learning experience in my future ambitions and continue to value these experiences throughout my life. Thank you a million for providing the best possible opportunities for us.

Putting Theoretical Knowledge Into Practice

The experience which I acquired through my internship programme is the most rewarding experiences any student could have during his/hers' study period. I learned more than during my whole studies. I was able to work with refugees and asylum seekers evaluating their cases and conducting interviews whether over the phone or face to face, and the most difficult thing is taking decisions. All of this helped me to put my theoretical knowledge into practice and realise what from my knowledge is important and useful and what is not. It taught me more than I expected. Not only in my field of studies but in a really life. It also developed my personality and gave me new friends and contacts.

Heartbreaking Paradise

My experience in Cape Town was bittersweet my time there was filled with excitement and new experiences but the work was hard. I spent my 3 months in Cape Town working at Refugee Centre. The stories I heard there were heart wrenching but I wouldn't trade my exeprience for anything. Throughout my time there I began to understand how a non profit in a devoloping country works from the financial setbacks to the day to day problems. I also left with a better understanding of the refugee community. Although their stories are unfathomable it inspires you and humbles you. Having this perspective from the internship helped me to enjoy my days off in Cape Town even more. Connect made it very easy for me to feel comfortable and at home. The workers are friendly and easy to talk to. When I was feeling sick they offered to take me to the clinic and checked up on me everyday to make sure I was okay. Having thier biweekly socials and weekend events makes it so easy to make friends. Everytime you go to an event you meet another intern from a different place wide eyed and filled with excitement. Before you know it you and the intern on your way to skydiving, sand boarding, shark cage diving or whatever crazy adventure you feel like going on that day. I could go on forever about my experience in Cape Town there is plenty to do, it is easy to make friends and Connect makes the transition process as smooth as possible. I definitely recommend using them if your thinking of interning in Cape Town you won't regret it.