Connect-123 Internship & Volunteer Programs participants doing a jump shot Connect-123 Internship & Volunteer Programs participants doing a jump shot

Human Rights Internships in Cape Town

NGO Experience in Cape Town

Interning in Cape Town through Connect’s program has been absolutely wonderful! After working with Connect in Dublin and having a great time, it was the first program I looked at for an internship this summer. They placed me at a great internship where I’ve been able to really get hands on experience in the non-profit sector. My coworkers were excited to have me join them and wanted me to get the most out of my time here, so right from the start I was able to do meaningful work, including grant writing, event planning and participating in strategic meetings.
Besides just the internship placement, Connect has really made my time here in Cape Town great. They organize events, arrange housing with other program participants and are always there to help with anything that isn't working out. All the Connect staff I’ve worked with have been so friendly and have always gone above and beyond to help me with anything I need, from local restaurant suggestions all the way to fixing the TV in my apartment. The program Connect offers, where you get to spend more time in a city than just a normal vacation, is truly one of a kind. Living abroad has taught me so much about myself and I’ve gotten to see and do some amazing things that I might not have gotten the opportunity to otherwise. There is so much more to do here in Cape Town than I expected, from hiking and museums to wine tours and safaris. I’ve met some incredible people here in Cape Town, including locals, other students in the Connect program and people from all over the world also enjoying everything Cape Town has to offer.

Making an Impact in Cape Town

I am forever grateful for the opportunity to be a part of such a special, impactful organization. I worked at a local youth development nonprofit, assisting with Monitoring and Evaluation of programs as well as research for the organization. I was given an immense amount of responsibility right from the get-go of my internship, which is something that defined my entire experience. I was constantly affirmed and supported at work, and I know I am leaving Cape Town with a true family and amazing friends that I will have for the rest of my life.

This city, this country, and this internship will always be in my heart.