CYA (College Year in Athens)

My Time with CYA

I studied abroad with CYA in the spring of 2015. I am of Greek descent, and so I couldn't pass up the opportunity to study in Greece. Going into the semester, I didn't really expect much from the program and I had no strong feelings about CYA one way or another.

However, once I got the Greece and started experiencing life in Athens, I came to quickly appreciate CYA. They made sure that everything from finding your apartment on the first day to finding an internship in Athens was as easy and trouble-free as possible. They have a wonderful woman, Nadia, who connected me and my friends with several different organizations, including recreational sports, hiking, academic groups, and even teaching English to refugees.

Even more, CYA provided us with several wonderful trips through Greece. These trips are super fun (literally driving through beautiful Greece -- trust me, it's stunning), and they're at no extra cost. We went to Delphi, Thessaloniki (Greece's second largest city), Sparta, and a plethora of archaeological sites. I wish I could do it again!

Regarding academics, CYA can really be whatever you want it to be. I managed to get all of my classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays, so I had a four-day weekend every week. My days with classes were busy, but two of my classes met on-site, and so I would spend my mornings walking archaeological sites and visiting ancient monuments. For one of my classes, we actually held class inside some of the monuments, such as the Parthenon, the Erechtheion, and the Propylaia. 10/10 would do it again.

My only qualm with CYA is how much time you spend with other American students. I didn't end up making too many Greek friends, as most of my time was spent with my classmates. However, I think this was more my fault than anyone else's, as CYA provided ample support for people looking to get involved in the city and community -- I just didn't take advantage of that as I should have.

Over all, I loved CYA and can't recommend it highly enough.

• College Year in Athens responded to this review December 11, 2015 at 7:49 AM

Thank you for your feedback, Jack! We are so glad to hear how valuable the program was for you!

View detailed rating

if you like art, architecture, history, then you'l

Recommended if interested in art, architecture, history. The organization of the program could be better, but it's OK. Also the living situation could be better. I'd recommend it.

• College Year in Athens responded to this review December 11, 2015 at 7:35 AM

Thank you for your feedback, Jamie! We are excited to share that our new Homestay option (in place since 2014) has expanded our housing arrangement options. Our admin team has also implemented new processes this year to maximize efficiency and program organization, taking into consideration all of the student feedback given upon completion of the program.

View detailed rating

Greece is amazing but the program had many...

Greece is amazing but the program had many annoying mandatory weekend-long fieldtrips.

• College Year in Athens responded to this review December 11, 2015 at 7:48 AM

Thank you for your feedback, Alene! Our 3 mandatory fieldtrips (included in tuition) give students the chance to explore other parts of Greece and learn more about the nation's fascinating history and extraordinary culture. As of Fall 2015, some trips now incorporate different focuses (such as History

View detailed rating

The experience was great, but the program...

The experience was great, but the program itself was rather unorganized and too large.

Some classes and professors were extremely good, others were rather mediocre. The best aspect of the program was its location in the middle of Athens, the access to sites + museums, and the opportunities to travel on your own.

• College Year in Athens responded to this review December 11, 2015 at 7:52 AM

Thank you for your feedback, C! We are constantly improving our program organization, taking into account all of the comments and suggestions from students after they complete the program. While we have maintained a level of 120-140 students over the past few years (as of 2015), we do our best to provide individual support and guidance for each student, socially and academically. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed living in Athens!