College Consortium for International Studies (CCIS) Header Image College Consortium for International Studies (CCIS) Header Image

CCIS: Prague--University of New York in Prague

Amazing city to study abroad in.

It's so hard to choose just one! I will have to go with this place called Pivovarsky Dum. It was this micro-brewery/Czech restaurant and the beer and food was remarkable. I got a flight of beer tastings and each one was better than the last, probably the best beer I've ever had. Also the food was incredible. Honestly, my mouth is watering as I write this. The food in Czech Republic tends to be heavy and savory (think meats with gravy and dumplings) but this place did it the best. We went once to try it and then made sure to have our last meal in Prague at Pivovarsky.

I chose my program because of the cost effectiveness of the location and duration. I felt that by choosing a central location, I could travel easily to other countries during my free time. I did get to travel to 8 other countries while I was there but Prague was truly the most beautiful, picturesque, fairy-tale-like city I've ever been to.

I lived in a two-bedroom apartment with one roommate. The apartment was one of several units in a nice gated building with a huge, beautiful garden on a quiet street. The tram runs right by the apartment and takes you right into the city and school. The apartment was very spacious with beautiful hardwood floors, natural lighting, glass brick, open floor plan, full kitchen and bathroom. The landlords were fairly nice, although it's worth noting that if you have any guests stay over, they will charge them. There is a cleaning lady who comes everyday who was very nice but didn't speak much English. There were grocery stores, bakeries, bars and restaurants within walking distance.

A Summer in Prague

I had a fantastic, phenomenal, life-changing experience studying abroad in Prague through CCIS. I went during the summer semester so I was there for 2 months (June 8-July 27). Firstly, the school was the Anglo American University which is in a renovated castle right in the heart of "Old" Prague near St. Charles' Bridge. The bridge is the most popular tourist spot in the city so it's always packed, FYI. There was a wonderful variety of classes to choose from and I really liked the scheduling options. Since it was an accelerated semester, the classes were long but we only met twice a week which meant I had 4-5 days a week to sightsee and travel to other cities. That being said, my professors definitely expected us to work and I had a considerable amount of homework.
Secondly, my program happened to be very small. In fact, it was just myself and one other student which was surprising. This made orientation/administration very intimate and we were able to get a lot of help from the school staff. They brought us to the train station to help us buy our student monthly passes and even showed us around town a little. While we were the only ones in our particular program, there were other programs there at the time so we were able to meet and hang out with a bunch of different students.
Overall, Prague was an amazing city to study abroad in. There's such a unique blend of historical European elegance and modernity. I loved the school, the city and my apartment. Also, the public transportation in Prague is unbeatable - it's always on time, it's fast, clean and relatively inexpensive.