College Consortium for International Studies (CCIS) Header Image College Consortium for International Studies (CCIS) Header Image

CCIS: Christchurch--University of Canterbury

I had an amazing time

Being able to put myself in a movie. I went on multiple tramps (hikes) where movies have been filmed. Also the wildlife is pretty unreal. Kea birds what a frisky parrot.

I chose this program because it brought me to an english speaking country, with unlimited amounts of activities to do!

Apartment living style. Some Kiwis can be messy... i was lucky to have been put with a few neat people.

Incredible Country

I had an amazing time in New Zealand and at this University. The only thing this program does not offer is planned trips for you. On the bright side New zealand is a pretty easy country to get around. Don't use JETSTAR

A Life Changing Experience!

I'll try to keep it short since there are so many great study abroad reviews, but seriously, STOP THINKING ABOUT IT AND GO! Anywhere, but Christchurch, NZ is definitely one of the best choices.

If you are a fan of nature and/or beautiful sights, Christchurch is a great place to go. Being located on the South Island of NZ, it's never too far to sandy beaches, wild and domestic animals (sheep!), and snow capped mountains. Everyone, including the Kiwis, are always keen to travel, so you will definitely have traveling friends to go with. Through your travels, you'll meet the most amazing people from all over the world. I people from more countries than I realized existed!

Maybe part of the reason why everyone is traveling, sadly, is to escape Christchurch. Once a fantastic city, it was hit hard by two earthquakes, and they're very slow to rebuild so there is still much damage and destruction. If you're wanting city and nightlife, go to Auckland as it's pretty much non-existent here.

Luckily the school is pretty much all fixed up, so you can enjoy the world class education. Very good professors and solid academic support and resources available.

New Zealand is a very expensive place to live and travel, so just make sure you work extra or take out a larger student loan before you come down.

New Zealand really has it all, making me think it's the perfect place to study abroad! It definitely changed my life - can't wait to go back!

Study abroad that requires independence

It is hard to review CCIS because they take a very hands-off approach. Unlike other programs that might schedule pre-semester activities and take care of housing for you, when you go through CCIS, things like housing and plane tickets are up to you. This isn't necessarily good or bad, it just depends on how independent you are and much work you are willing to do.

Amazing experience, not the best program

My experience in New Zealand was extraordinary. I would highly recommended anyone to go study abroad and experience this for themselves. Yet, this is a review of the program I went through. In comparing it to other programs, CCIS didn't offer opportunities as in programs or trips to get to know the people and country where I studied abroad. They lacked on letting me know the necessary paperwork and timeline to get from point A to B in an effective manner. So much of the work, I did on my own.