College Consortium for International Studies (CCIS) Header Image College Consortium for International Studies (CCIS) Header Image

CCIS: Buenos Aires--Universidad de Belgrano (semester)

Buenos Aires Argentina

Argentina was great!! It felt like a mixture between Italy and New York put together. My host mom was extremely nice and her cooking was delicious. The Universidad of Belgrano really helped improve my Spanish and gave me more confidence when speaking in Spanish. I also met a lot of nice people who I am still in contact with. I am definitely going back. Overall I had a really great time.

Determining

Argentina is a wonderful place. Great food, great atmosphere, and freat people. I met so many friends who I still keep in touch with. This stusy abroad trip has no planned events. Which was good and bad.The good part forced me to go out, plan, and meet people. I grew as an individual and learned a lot about myself. The bad, well more like an improvement, could have been at least one planned event. Maybe a tour. I learned a new level of independence, confidence, communication skills, and a lot of spanish. Anyone who wants to go should! And go for 3 months, 1 month was too short!

Fall in Buenos Aires

This was absolutely one of the best experiences of my life and absolutely changed my life. Buenos Aires is an amazing city with so many opportunities and an amazing vibrant culture. Argentina is such a varied country with extraordinary travel opportunities whether to the beaches of Mar del Plata, the jungles and waterfalls of Iguazu, the salt flats and Andean culture of Jujuy, desert beauty of Salta, wine tasting and trekking in Mendoza or skiing and chocolate in Bariloche, you could spend a lifetime in the country and still not experience it all. Belgrano is a great private university in the middle of Buenos Aires but in a very non-touristy neighborhood but close to the most exciting parts of the city. The classes are usually with other international students which is a great way to meet a diverse group of people but if you want a more in depth experience with local students this may not be the best choice for you. Overall, my experience was incredible and I would absolutely recommend it for anyone.

A freedom filled program with just enough structure.

I had a family emergency and took a bereavement flight home to the US. My program coordinator was extremely helpful in sorting things out. The UB administration was also very accommodating. I missed a week of class (25 contact hours) and was still able to return and finish the intensive month.

I lived in a departamento that was very lovely. I had my own room with a TV, desk, good sized closet, some US outlets, and AC. I shared a bathroom with another student. The family had other rooms they rented out, and I would hang out on the open terraced roof with a few of the other upstairs neighbors. My host family fed me 2 meals a day. With CCIS, you can bring your own wine to the table, but can't drink in your room. And if you're tempted to drink by yourself in Buenos Aires, you're doing something wrong.

A freedom filled program with just enough structure.

This program was perfect for me. I traveled after my classes finished and during breaks. The program itself is less expensive than many others because it doesn't have as many excursions. I was able to travel when and where I wanted. BsAs has tons of international students that you are bound to meet, but it is more important to make friends with locals if you really want to learn the language. You can meet locals through clubs and things at the University, or by being friendly and getting involved with other things in Buenos Aires. The program coordinator, Gaby, is very helpful. We had coffee meetings with our group and took a few fieldtrips around Buenos Aires. I really enjoyed the small size of the program. Several others have over 50 students and don't seem as personable.

I took intensive Spanish. 2 of my 3 teachers were fantastic and the other was okay. UB has a lot of international students so it is well organized.

Homestays are luck of the draw. My host parents were very laid back and coming home quietly somewhere between 5-8 AM after a night at the boliches was no problem. More importantly, they did not speak any english and forced me to speak spanish everyday.

Cultural immersion was not the focus of this program. They never claim it to be. However, you are immersed into Porteno lifestyle through your homestay and do see the function of a private university in Buenos Aires. We also took some field trips to a few museums that helped me to understand more of the culture. The neighborhood, Belgrano, is a residential barrio and a different side of BsAs than nearby Palermo.

The CCIS coordinator, Alyson Roberts, took care of everything. I was traveling in Ecuador before the program started, and she even mailed some things to another student to bring me for the program. The administration at UB is great, and the Program Coordinator, Gaby, is spectacular.

For the Independent Adventurer

My experience in Argentina was incredible and for the most part going through CCIS was too. If you're looking for a program that will help you get there and find a place to live then let you on your own, then this is the one for you. I wouldn't suggest it for anyone that wants to have planned trips or a "group" because this program isn't it. But it does give you a pretty good bang for your buck considering.

Wonderful Experience Learning Spanish In Argentina!

Seeing Iguazu Falls was amazing! It is a must see.

I chose CCIS because of the time frame of the program (3 months), the reasonable price and the location.

I lived in a really big house with a host family of an older couple, a dog, a cat and a varying number of international students (3-8). My house can accommodate up to 13 students so we often had students coming and going depending on their program. I absolutely loved living with other students, although I am certain it inhibited my Spanish progress. I also did not get too much interaction with my host parents. I usually saw them during meal times (breakfast and dinner). Also, Argentine like to eat late. Dinner started at 9pm at my house. My room was very big and spacious. We also had a house keeper who cleaned the rooms once a week.

Wonderful experience learning Spanish in Argentina!

I am pleased with choosing CCIS to study abroad in Argentina. I spent 3 months in Buenos Aires, Argentina learning Spanish at Universidad de Belgrano.

The program was very organized and helpful. Lines of communication were always open. The cost of the program was also very reasonable. I enjoyed my school and host family. I also made a lot of friends.

I was able to travel within Argentina and to Uruguay for cheap. One thing I will say is that the program does not come with any excursions. We were able to go with our coordinator to a lot of place like tango classes, volunteering, and historical sites. However, we had to pay extra. If you are a very independent person, the program is great because you can find trips and things to go for low prices. I was still able to experience everything I wanted to see. I think I saved more money by planning my own trips.

The people are generally friendly but it is not a very diverse place. Be prepared for some stares if you are not of European descent. I got many questions about where I was from but the people were polite, just super curious.

I really enjoyed my time in Buenos Aires and I am glad I chose CCIS!

Cheap and open

From the conversations I had with students studying via other programs, CCIS was far on the cheaper end. I assume this is because the CCIS program is pretty bare bones. I had a first day city tour, two meals a day with a host family, and tuition at Universidad Belgrano. Everything else that I did in Argentina was based on my planning/organizing. So if freedom and the ability to plan your own experience in Argentina is what you're looking for, CCIS is right for you.

Argentine Adventure

The CCIS program in Argentina changed my life. The university is small and depending on your spanish level, you will be in classes with mostly other international students and you make friends quickly. Living with a host family was a great way to practice your spanish and get a glimpse into the Rio de la Plata lifestyle. I was lucky enough to be able to walk to the university although I know some of my friends had to take the subway or busses. Everyone in Buenos Aires was so friendly and helpful; they all seemed eager to strike up a conversation and were easy going when they found out my spanish wasn't the best.
Take advantage of long weekends and holidays to explore the areas surrounding Buenos Aires. Colonia, Uruguay is only an hours ferry ride from downtown and it is totally worth it. While a little expensive and touristy, it is so beautiful and everyone is so friendly. My program was spring semester (their fall) and within the first month of school we had a week off for easter and took advantage of it by going down to Patagonia- an experience I will carry with me for the rest of my life.
My favorite part of my semester in Buenos Aires was how different everything was. I loved the struggle of putting myself out into a completely new culture (and language) and adapting to city life. I will cherish my time I had in Argentina and the friends I met will be in my heart for the rest of my life.

Great Time

I had a great time with my study abroad experience. I do wish that some more things were included with the program. but overall it was a good experience.

Good Band For Your Buck

This program is pretty bare bones. There are no planned trips, no airport pick-ups, no group activities, etc. If you are the type of person that likes to do things on your own time then this is a great program for you. There is definitely no hand holding here. One thing that was really terrific though was the host family I was assigned to. They were incredible and really helped make my experience great.

Great

I really enjoyed my time in Buenos Aires. The host family I lived with was unbelievable. Although I tried to get out of the house and experience as much as possible, I felt at home and completely comfortable around my family. I ended up staying in most days and nights with them and enjoying everything that living with a family has to offer.

As far as the program at Belgrano goes, my feelings on the classes were mixed. Some classes were run very well and were up to the standards you would expect in the United States, however, there were two where the professors were constantly late and failed to maintain the schedule we set forth from the first day. That said, I feel that my spanish increased exponentially and the program really helped me to not only learn, but fall in love with the language.

A Semester in a Great City with some Minor Kinks.

Buenos Aires is a great city. It's really interesting and there is always something new to discover. Being bored is really not an option. However, the university Universidad de Belgrano is not the best when it comes to immersion. International students are placed mostly with other international students. You can opt to take classes with natives but most of the international courses are with international students. Mostly the students just speak English to each other all the time, but the classes are interesting. They are in Spanish (however you can choose to take them in English), but since they are with other non-Spanish speakers it's really easy to just speak English outside of the classes. The only way I found to make Argentine friends was to play a sport, but if you don't play a sport that can be pretty difficult. There are a lot of opportunities in the city to go to language exchange events to speak and practice Spanish but if you want a true immersion into the Spanish language this program probably won't cut it for you. I had a wonderful time though with my host family who doesn't speak any English, and with the soccer team at school. Also the program doesn't have much involvement in your life at all. Just make sure you do research and see what programs match up to what you're looking for. A little more involvement would have been nice. Maybe just going out to dinner (like most of the other programs do), or just meeting up at a cafe with the other members of the program.

Universidad de Belgrano through CCIS's Argentina program leaves much to be desired

I studied at Universidad de Belgrano in Buenos Aires, Argentina for the full Spring 2013 semester. While it offered some interesting courses that would look good to add to anyone's college transcripts the institution itself was a bit of a disappointment. I don't want to sound too harsh, as there definitely were positive aspects to the overall experience of being there (diversity of students, decent location, etc), but the administration seems to make things more difficult than easy, and the quality of teaching is just not up to par.

Also, UB needs better wifi, more spacious and comfortable classroom seating, and a decent cafeteria with more hospitable employees (the girls working there were nasty). The cafe downstairs is pretty nice though. Perhaps the quality of education is due to UB's hiring of teachers who are simply working another part-time job, or that their methods are just outdated and lacking. Whatever the case, there are better choices for an institution.

That being said, Buenos Aires is city that can impact you for the worse or the better. The nightlife is incredible! It's probably the best thing about the city. Also, things are super cheap because of the value of the American dollar over the Argentine peso. Unfortunately, most of the food sucks and there's dog crap everywhere in the streets (so many Argentines have dogs and yet almost no one picks up after them). The exception of good food is Empanadas (they're awesome) and Asado (Argentine bbq, absolutely delicious), but that's pretty much it. Safety wise, you have to watch where you go because robberies are a daily common occurrence, especially at night, but for the most part if you have any common sense you should be okay.

Overall, it was a bitter/sweet experience for me. I'm glad I've been to Argentina, but studying abroad is expensive, and take it from a guy who's done it all on his own in Europe, a place much more expensive than South America, if it's just about traveling somewhere you're interested in visiting, you can do it way cheaper on your own. If you do decide to study on this program or other programs to Argentina, make sure you get to see the real South America and get out of the major cities. The region has so much beauty geographically and there is a lot to see. Though there is European influence throughout the continent, it's a completely different experience, so be prepared for something unique. Good luck!