City Travel Review Header Image City Travel Review Header Image

CTR Berlin - Travel Writers, Reviewers, & Travel Researchers

CTR Berlin

I took part in the CTR Berlin project in July 2015. I really enjoyed the chance to live in the city whilst taking part in a project that allowed me to develop new skills. I hadn’t visited Berlin before and spending a month there really allowed me to familiarise myself with the city.

Creating the guidebook meant that a good amount of time was allowed for exploring Berlin. This was well balanced with writing workshops, language lessons and organised trips to certain attractions. I liked the group work element of the project and that everyone in the group had at least one role. I worked on the layout of the guidebook and appreciated the chance to utilise my design skills and the extra workshops put in place to help.

We had the weekends free and these were always a good chance to do things with other people on the project whether it was clubbing, trying out restaurants or wandering around the flea markets. It was really nice to make friends from all across the world who I still keep in contact with a year on. I was quite daunted by the prospect of going somewhere on my own to begin with but the group aspect of the CTR project, plus apartment accommodation, means you get to know people pretty quickly.

This project was really enjoyable and I would recommend it to anyone who really wants to experience Berlin whilst learning and working too.

Berlin August 2016

With great adoration and much respect I happily offer my survey and constructive feedback for the City Travel Review Program. So you know, I am an American female from the city of Los Angeles. In the past, I've had the luxury of traveling abroad for vacation purposes, but I've never undertaken such a detailed and comprehensive international expedition as I did with CTR's work/travel/live program.

This experience well exceeded my expectation. It presented me with a thorough exploration of the Berlin culture, people, food, and lifestyle. More than I could have ever anticipated or foreseen. I received an in-depth personal one-on-one analysis of the city by fully immersing myself into the throws of their everyday life beyond a travelers postcard perspective. That in and of itself was priceless.

With complete sincerity, I had the excellent fortune of stumbling upon this opportunity through a craigslist ad. Not a likely place one might think. In truth, that should've given me much pause and extreme hesitation as craigslist is not a safe way to advertise, especially toward young female adults, but luckily for me, despite my naivety, I encountered a new and exciting experience that was profoundly educational and remarkably gratifying.

I had many highs and quite a few lows throughout the journey that fully endeared me to the opportunity beyond the words that I'm capable of expressing right now. To offer some context, I am an African American young lady who would normally, under zero circumstances, travel outside of the states, by myself, and into a country that likely is akin to a 'culture shock.' Which it was! At first landing, I can wholeheartedly, and in all honesty, dare I say, scared. I was fearful of the people, of the language, of the environment... of E-V-E-R-Y-Thing! But I learned - very quickly. That that, was just ignorance. We fear what we don't know or understand. It's the natural human phenomenon of our nature. But so is curiosity. And upon learning, without the comfort of my trusty Americanized hotel and pool key, I found the greatest slice of self peace. It was a new found awareness that only uncharted waters could reveal. I found so much comfort in a strange land, among strange people, with strange food and smells, and it was all do to City Travel Review offering me the chance to explore past my backyard and preconceived notions. They provided the platform, guidance, and the structure, yet without training wheels. Which is precisely what I needed. The language classes were an excellent sales pitch to entice and peek my interest, but it proved to be vaguely useful to a minute degree. Mostly it helped bridge the comradery gap between the project participants and myself. And the fact that the teacher only spoke German was a bit isolating and difficult for me... though even that, was a growing pain worth exploring.

There were challenges in relating to my flat mates and unfortunately I didn't create much of a bond with them, but I attribute that to different interests and ages. Though I do think CTR would benefit greatly if they were afforded the opportunity to expand their advertising to a broader range of participants. Personally, I felt as though, not being from the UK, created an unspoken divide between me and the majority of the other attendees because they were all from the same general area. Familiarity breeds comfort. Naturally.

I understand the comfort of familiarity ll too well being American. In my humble opinion, many Americans, are so conditioned and brainwashed to believe that world revolves around us. It's a sad case of ignorance that runs rampant inside the US borders which unfortunately keeps many of us from exploring beyond that great pond. So I believe it would be lovely if a vast majority of other countries and nationalities, especially from the states, were all able to immerse themselves into a company like City Travel Review. It is imperative that something or someone shine a spotlight on this infrastructure and allocate additional funding &/or advertising because it already has built-in notoriety. At least it does to those of us who know its value first hand. And of course, the true notoriety and fame of this organization comes from people who created this company. They joined hand and hand with many people across borders and boundaries to unify and bind ties through the simplest of gestures. Writing and sharing. Sharing travel experiences is by far one of the most strengthening and uniting tools to bridge the world. All in all, City Travel Review is a rare jewel worth finding and polishing which makes it that much more imperative that a gem like that be mounted and set high for everyone to see and potentially take part in.

As far as feedback goes, I can't really offer much. There isn't much to shake a finger at or complain over. Truly, everything that I could suggest pales in comparison to the significant personal growth and uncharted maturity it offers to all people, nations, and beliefs. Personally for me, not only did I grow a profound faith in City Travel as a trust worthy company, but I grew an admiration and respect for a country that I was mildly, if barely, educated on in my own nation. Nothing surpasses human interaction and meeting the world at its doorstep by fully immersing yourself into it the way CTR offers its participant. There was just enough hands-on education and personal interaction, as equally as there was freedom of exploration and latitude of growth. I grew. Immensely. I grew an independence muscle I never knew existed. I can't tell you how super proud I am of myself for breaking my biased mold of the world without the rose colored glasses of vacation shades. That experience alone has encouraged me in so many ways to be mindful, tolerant, knowledgeable, and aware that it's immeasurable. I can only hope to participate again sometime in the near future or in some other capacity as it was genuinely a life shaping experience.

Though I will say, someone must really do something about getting wifi in the flats. That was an excruciating task to not have contact or internet connection to communicate with friends and family. Traversing the city for free internet connectivity proved to be beyond difficult. But breaking away from reality TV and social media was a forced blessing in disguise so the upside of that should equally be commended. But if I can offer some constructive criticism try offering an international sim card to the participants. But in lue of the financial costs of remaining technologically afloat with having to buy sim cards, adapters, and gigabytes, even with all that, I wouldn't change anything about my experience... except my mattress! :D

Berlin summer 2010

Citytravelreview facilitated one of the best summers of my life. The opportunity to live in, and write about one of the world's most fascinating cities was truly an unforgettable experience. The team at Citytravelreview were fantastic, from setting up our apartments, to organising language lessons and writing workshops. CTR made everyone on the experience feel right at home in Berlin.

Without this experience I wouldn't of made as diverse and close friends that I did, we lived together, explored together and most importantly, partied together. It was an amazing bonding experience and to this day I am in close contact with many of the participants of CTR.

I heartily recommend anyone thinking about participating in any of CTR's programs to do so.

Amazing trip!

I took part in the Barcelona CTR project in 2015, and had such an incredible three weeks! We got to explore an incredible city, improve our Spanish, meet new people from all over the world and create a professional publication all at the same time.

The trip gave me a great opportunity to learn how I could cope outside of my comfort zone. I’d never even been on a plane by myself before, but such a positive experience resulting from flying off to live in a new city with complete strangers for three weeks has given me the confidence to challenge myself more, and now I find myself five weeks into a nine-month teaching placement in Seville, Spain!

Thanks to the whole CTR team for great memories, friends and skills for my CV!

An amazing experience which shaped my career

I went on the City Travel Review programme in Summer 2010, just after graduating. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed it and got out of it! The course was really well structured, offering daily language lessons alongside practical advice from journalists and a visit to one of Berlin's biggest magazines. We were given help and support as we put together our city guides, as well as being shown the sights of Berlin and getting a real insider's look at life in the city.
It was a brilliant month and was part of my decision to go into journalism professionally, and I got a job at Metro a few months later. It also ignited a love of Berlin - I've been back several times since!
I can't recommend it enough. It was a brilliant, educational and fun experience, and I made several good friends who I've kept in touch with in the five years since.

City Travel Review - Berlin 2009

When I was an undergrad I wanted to do something worthwhile with my final summer before going into my honours year and when I found out about City Travel Review it seemed like the perfect opportunity to do something different and relevant. I was studying Event Management and the project team made an effort to ensure that the reviews I was writing and practical experience I gained was relevant to my field of study. Completing my internship alongside predominately journalism student gave me invaluable an insight into the field of press and journalism and how this is linked to events.

The immersive nature of the project, living, reviewing, working and socialising with the rest of the interns was such a strong experience and it changed the way I approach teamwork and relationship building. We were a very mixed bunch and quickly learned to draw from our different strengths and weaknesses to get the project complete. We were encourage to support each other by the project leaders and this increased valuable communication and interactions. We had a common goal and an amazing city to explore together and from the project I still have many friends who are people I would not have crossed paths with otherwise. I often draw on examples from this experience during interviews when I am asked to give examples of building effective relationships for example.

Since the trip I am also still very much in love with Berlin and return whenever I can. The structure of this project included a well thought out balance of being guided around the city but also given enough time to make your own opportunities to explore, meet and interacts with locals and find interesting events or venues to write about. I felt fully supported and confident in the project leaders throughout the experience.

This unique experience in Berlin has definitely contributed to my ability to travel alone, work in cities and situations outwith my comfort zone and build the most unlikely of friendships. The slight anxiety I felt when I first landed in Berlin disappeared as soon as I was met at the airport and only returned at the end of the experience when I worried that this might be the last beer I shared with the team - my new 'Berlin Family'.

City Travel Review: Berlin 2010

I took part in CTR's 2010 summer programme in Berlin as part of the eight-week group who researched, wrote, edited and designed a 142 page full colour guide book to the city.
This experience, without a doubt, led me to where I am today in terms of my career. It gave me the creative tools to learn how to craft my writing through a series of workshops as well as an insight into the design aspect of printed publishing. I now work as the deputy editor of a newspaper.
Not only was the programme immense fun, it gave me access into another culture through German language lessons and organised trips around the city along with being immersed into daily life whilst living in our apartments in East Berlin.
Some of the friendships I made during that eight weeks are still the strongest I could have ever hoped for. Although many of us live all over the world, we still keep in touch and, when we can, meet up to reminisce over best summer of our lives.

City Travel Review - german and travel writing

I studied this program in the summer of 2010 in Berlin and it was one of the best experiences of my life! The program was well organised, varied and a lot of fun. It was a great way to meet students from all over the world, while gaining valuable language and literature skills along the way. I'd recommend City Travel Review to everyone.

Living and Learning in Berlin

I had a really wonderful time on the Travel Review Guide. Having studied journalism in London, I was keen to gain firsthand experience and after reading about the position in my university career site, I thought I'd give it a go. From the moment I arrived at the airport in Berlin, I was greeted by a cheeky but cheerful Jeremy - who was kind and brave enough to carry my LARGE suitcase - all the way to house and through several modes of transport. (I think I packed for three months instead of three weeks!! :-D)
The staff were all extremely professional, helpful and friendly and what I really enjoyed was the fact that the trip involved daily German lessons, where we could learn the language as well as work in a professional capacity through creating, designing and writing for the youth-based magazine. As well as this, we also had the chance to experience and learn about different parts of life, culture and history in and around Berlin.

There were times to reflect on the capital's past and also look as people developing their future.

There is so much to enjoy on this trip! From Currywurst to kebabs; and beer to Bear Pit Karaoke (I hope they still do this!!! - Google it if you need to! :-D)

I highly recommend this placement. You will experience the best of the city and discover so many hidden gems.

I made friends and memories for life on this trip and I'm sure that anyone who takes the chance will experience the same and hopefully even more!

Creative teaching in Berlin

I worked as a german teacher at the city travel review programme in Berlin in summer 2010 and 2011. It was a great experience to be part of that programme as I not only had the possibility to organise my lessons by myself but I was also totally free to adjust the content of the lessons to the needs and interests of young journalists all over the world. The students were enthusiastic and very hard working and due to the programme they got the chance to get to know this city through a totally different perspective. Working within this team was like being in a family, everyone was helping everyone and the energy was great.

Great experience before entering job life

Actually, I joined the travel writers programme in Edinburgh/UK, in autumn 2009 (aged 25), after studying marketing at University. The Citytravelreview study-work-programme was the perfect match of experiencing team work in an international project team, getting to know a foreign country/city/lifestyle and practicing intercultural competence. During the morning one had the chance to join classes, learn knew research as well as writing tools and write creative texts with the input from professional teachers or journalists. In the afternoons and on the weekends one had the chance to get to know the city and locals and work on the project, either alone or with others from the team. The project helped me to gain experience with working abroad, which enhances my CV. Furthermore, it enabled long-term friendship with people from all over the world, even long-term professional relationships. I can imagine, this study-work-programme is also a good chance to try new things if you are not 100% sure what you want to do for your living after school or university. In a nutshell, I would not want to miss this unique experience!

Berlin Laid Bare

I can't lavish enough praise on the program Jeremy and Lutz have assembled with CTR. I was fortunate enough to hear about it after having just graduated from my University in the summer of 2011. I had just gotten a degree in English and Creative Writing that I didn't quite know what I wanted to do with, but what I did know was that I wanted to write and travel. City Travel Review fit perfectly into my plans. Before I knew what had hit me, I was eating currywurst (go to Curry 36 for the best) and turning a spotlight onto the Berlin hostel and cafe scene. Along with a team of students from around the world, I dug into the city of Berlin and helped put together a comprehensive travel guide of all the things that make the city one of the very best that Europe has to offer!

A typical day would see me spring out of bread, spread some nutella on a sandwich for a quick breakfast and then run to German class to get an even deeper insight into my temporary home. Then, in the afternoon, Jeremy and Lutz would lead us on an excursion to gain valuable hands-on experience by talking with journalists at a Berlin paper or radio program. After our group met to run over that day's assignments, I would then spend the early evening hours lounging at a cafe. Can anyone resist ordering a second slice of Cafe Anna Blume's sensational Black Forest Cake? I certainly couldn't.

Then it was off to a club to hear the newest tracks from Europe's hottest DJs. Oh, this was a lifestyle I could get used to! But thankfully, what I take from CTR aren't just fond memories. The work I have done since, with international companies like Matador, Plarium, and even GoAbroad, has all sprung out of that initial summer in Berlin. Since then, I have lived abroad in four countries and am living in my fifth right now. And it's all thanks to Jeremy, Lutz, and the remarkable team they have assembled at CTR.

Best experience of my life!!!

I can still remember stepping off the plane in Berlin and walking out to see the program directors holding the sign with my name so I would know they were there to pick me up! It was a whirlwind of a day and my first trip overseas so I was a little nervous. I learned so much about Germany, and the culture. Everything was organized and well planned out for the participants. There was never a dull moment. I would take that same experience a 2nd time in a heartbeat! I made some lifelong friends from Ireland and London that I've kept in contact with over the last 8 years and even was able to visit them both in the U.K. I feel that immersion programs are a vital need. They teach so much in a short time and help the participants step out of their element, and learn so much they might have never learned on their own. I will always cherish the memories made, lessons learned, and friends I made.

City Travel Review a must do!

I completed the City Travel Review program in Berlin in 2010 and absolutely loved every minute of it. From independent living in an apartment block - making you feel like a resident of the city, not just a tourist! - to the fantastic structure of the program - half day language lessons with free time in the afternoon to work on the guidebook project - I cannot recommend this experience enough to anyone looking to study/work/learn abroad. This experience gave me a newfound freedom, independence and outlook on life and made me catch the travel bug big time! More importantly, I also made lifelong friends on the program that I am still in regular contact with six years later!

A great educational and cultural experience

What a unique thing to do. There are not many programmes where you can go to language school in the morning and then write a book in the afternoon. It was a project full of opportunities, packed with culture, meeting and working with new people with the same objective - the sheer amount you learned about Berlin and then publish those experiences in order to help others was fulfilling. And to see the end result made all the effort worth it. I was fortunate to take part in the first ever CTR project: I felt that we put together something special - a springboard for CTR to get better and better. I fully recommend CTR to Go Abroad and hope that it can be showcased at Nafsa.

Productive and fun summer

My experience with the city travel review project was fantastic from beginning to end, I participated as a student first and then as a project assistant and in both experiences I had a really good time. The team was well organized, the people I worked with was really nice and basically everything worked.
Is a creative way of getting to know a new city, learn new skills and also have fun. I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys travelling, meeting new people, wants to develop his or her writing skills or is just simply curious!

My City Travel Review experience

Overall I really had a fantastic time on the CTR Berlin project from start to finish. I met a bunch of fantastic like minded people and enjoyed almost every minute. We had some late nights, some last minute hard working and at times were a little under pressure with a few sleepless nights (self inflicted) however it was well worth it! CTR is a project for those that want to learn a foreign language (I learnt from scratch) and work in a team to create an online published travel guide. The main reasons I joined was that I wanted to do something slightly different from my friends and I desperately wanted to take the chance to join the team while I still could before starting my longer term career.

For me it was exactly what I was looking for as I wanted to live in Germany which I do now with the help of ctr and some out of office networking. I also wanted to get some good working experience in a creative field while picking up some contacts.

The project was very informative, interactive and something a little off the beaten track from other things that I've been a part of. We saw a ton of Berlin although be prepared to do a lot of walking. If you don't like walking is probably not the best project for you. Berlin was really massive and it takes a while to get from A to B including a series of trains, trams or buses. All of the project Members lived closeby in my apartment block so is a pretty social place during downtime, free time and on the weekends.

Most of our ctr meetings took place bang in the centre of the city so we got a real city vibe. It was a lot of a fun however is definitely not a walk in the park as described on our first day by the staff and after the honeymoon phase (first week) I was definitely challenged in the language classes to say the least. I did start to fall a little behind during the 2nd week but the teacher I had was really nice and friendly and after a couple of shaky classes I soon got my foot hold. I still keep in touch with CTR and some of the others on my project and as I now live in Germany I have been back to Berlin a lot to visit with friends staying mainly in Kreuzberg or Friedrichshain as this is mainly where my group spent the majority of our time in Berlin and the areas I know best. A few of us on the project also had a mini reunion at Badeschiff (a beach/swimming pool) which was our summer 'tanning hangout' that was introduced to us via ctr. To summarise I was really glad i found the project and my experience was that I enjoyed it thoroughly from language classes, workshops, the activities and overall vibe. Our group bonded really well with a mix of nationalities- mainly most were from the UK, some US & Canada, Australia, a few from Spain, Italy and France. It is the case that you get out of the project what you put in and definitely some of the group work we did at times was testing and for a few days I did end up feeling a little lost and slightly confused and not what I initially expected but this was just part of the exhilarating time. Getting the confidence to use my German outside of class was also a little awkward and I made a zillion mistakes but as time went on I saw the progress and couldn't get any worse than when I first threw myself into the situation. If you want to pick up the basics of a language (like i kind of did), practice in a real life environment and work together in a young team working environment in one of the best capital cities in Europe (my opinion):) then you are well suited.

The advice though I would give if you are thinking of applying to CTR Berlin is to be prepared to get a little out of your comfort zone sometimes, do a lot of walking, be prepared to be offline more than usual (which didn't bother me and I found refreshing) .

We were also out and about a lot. Be aware of time management (the time flies after week 1) and last but not least definitely try and get comfortable with the unknown:)

I was recommended the project by a previous member and I'm so glad I got to take part. Haven't looked back since!

Amazing chance to design a guide

Hi took the CTR experience and was one of the few with no UK nationality, which was an extra challenge in terms of language. I designed the whole guide and used this experience for future opportunities in terms of job interviews. It was a great immersion experience!

CTR Berlin

We spent a month visiting and reviewing ten venues in the city, from museums to night clubs, in a team of eleven, which was a highly enjoyable, cultural experience. We also had German language classes four days a week, as well as writing workshops in which I had the pleasure of working with journalists of the Guardian. This meant being self sufficient in locating unique places to review in the foreign capital, and the guidance from the ctr team was invaluable in helping us make the most of this. As the youngest member of the team at age 19, (age range 21-28), this is an experience I will never forget and has inspired me to pursue a career in content writing or journalism.

Great project with loads a great experiences

I did CTR Berlin in between leaving school and starting University, and even know the memories have stayed with me! Great place to spend 4 weeks in, great people and great learning skills. This was my first time on such a project - so great to experience the independence of being in a new city, but still have some support (e.g. accommodation, organised activities etc.) The co-ordinators were really helpful and friendly, picking me up from the airport and making sure everything was ok. They also had great knowledge of the city too!

The programme was split in two - language lessons in the morning, travel writing in the afternoon. Language lessons provided opportunity to immerse yourself in the language with 2 levels difficulty offered so you could find the right one. Teachers helped make the lessons accessible. Then, in the afternoon, you were free to pursue your travel writing interests - mix of individual and group work. As a group, we had to work towards producing a travel guide, but within framework had license to follow own interests (e.g. sport.) Had the freedom to shape the travel guide as we wished and great satisfaction at the end when completed.

Overall, I really felt I got to know Berlin as a place to live, learnt some valuable skills and just really enjoyed myself in great company!

Great experience

I like to remember the time in Edinburgh. During the CTR program, there were many ways to explore the city and meet many interesting people and listen to exciting stories about Scotland. The workshops and excursions were well coordinated. It was a great time and a great experience.

A great summer in Berlin

I was at my university library in Spain randomly googling for a different and exciting way of spending my summer vacations when I luckily found about the CTR project in Berlin.

As a Spanish engineering student I couldn't think of a more "outside of my box" project than a journalism internship with a team of mostly British students combined with German classes in the middle of Berlin.

The experience was fantastic. The organisers managed to find a great balance between journalism/German classes, cultural/social activities in the city, and independent practical assignments.

I got to learn about writing and journalism, substantially improve my German, and my English as well! Classes were relaxed, fun, and productive at the same time. The activities made us as participants discover Berlin and get to know each other better. Everything was coordinated together with locals what made the stay even more immersive.

Above all, this project gave me the opportunity to meet a group of amazing people with whom I spent two incredibly fun months in one of the most exciting cities I have ever visited.

City Travel Review was an excellent culture shock

I loved working and learning with City Travel Review (CTR) in Berlin. The team have a number of programs across Europe but the popularity and program of their Berlin program was particularly intriguing. Well organised and run, the administrators were friendly and hands on in helping us out with problems or difficulties, as well as ensuring we had a great balance of learning, work and socialising. I would very much recommend this program to the sort of person who will 100% throw themselves into the experience - the structure of learning and refining language skills and work placement, applying that knowledge to projects and then working with a small team to produce pieces and coordinate a guide to the city was refreshing and innovative. I loved every minute of the program and would say that for someone in their early to mid-20s this is a perfect placement.

City Travel review

I took part in this programme in 2010 following the completion of A Levels; it was a four week course. The programme itself was thoroughly enjoyable, integrating German lessons for all abilities with travel writing as well as cultural trips and time to explore freely on our own.
As I already had an A Level in German, it was really useful for me to practise my language skills in and around the city as well as brushing up on basic grammar points during lessons. The city itself is incredibly vibrant and the prolonged period of time there really allowed for true exploration of the various areas and corners of such a city as Berlin. Additionally, we had the time and space to truly soak up the culture and feel of all the Bezirks of the city.
The most memorable and truly lasting element of this programme, however, was the lasting friendships and contacts that we made. Many of us have stayed in contact and, particularly in the immediate time after the programme, indeed met up to talk about and further share our ideas.

CTR project

My name is Teresa Collazo Lugo and I am language trainer in Madrid.
I think CTR gives the students the possibility of studying abroad and learning many new things, not only in a professional way, but also about the country. So it means that you can have fun, try the food, and enjoy the culture while studying! Who doesn't love to get lost in a city and discover the true and authentic spirit of the place? So, sharing all this information it not only benefits the students but everyone else.
I'm really glad to be able to share my time with an international and motivated group of students.