CISabroad participants CISabroad participants

Summer in Scotland

Amazing Experience

I had the best time ever. I was a completely amazing experience and I am so glad that I went. I created memories that will last a lifetime. I met so many wonderful people that I hope to stay in contact with in the future.

Summer in Scotland

Choosing to study abroad in Scotland was one of the best things I ever did! The people on the Stirling campus were so nice, helpful, and understanding that most of us had not been abroad before. I wish I could have had more time there, but looking back it was one of the best summers and best month of my life!

Awesome Experience!

The University of Stirling has a strong program with ISS. Through out the program they provided weekly activities and excursions where you learn about Scottish culture along with learning about your chosen subjects. I had fantastic professors and great classes were I learned a lot! The interns and RAs were friendly and really cared that every student had a positive experience. Stirling itself is a great little city with plenty to see and do. I will say though that after staying in the flats I'm sure I can sleep on anything.

I will always think back on this experience

My weekend trip to the Highlands. Everything I did there... fishing on the loch, seeing the train tracks from the Harry Potter movies... just everything about that weekend. I especially loved climbing the through the Three Sisters and singing an opera aria for my friends in The Hidden (Lost) Valley! Something most people can only dream of doing!

There were lots of things behind my decision, but I wanted a psychology course as well as a place with easy weather. Scotland in the summer is really beautiful--even though it rained, it wasn't bad. No humidity and just enough sun. It was only once I arrived that I realized I'd gotten so much more than I though I would, and I was so glad for it!

Traditional dorm/apartment living. The kitchen was great, living room too. I actually really loved my room! It was nice because we lived with other people in our apartments. You really get to know everyone in your program while still having your own space.

A part of myself will always be in Scotland.

I've never experienced anything that has made me feel so strongly. I can't even say a specific emotion, but I know that I will always think back on this experience and be so full of joy that I got to see the things I saw and do the things I did. You get a taste of the old, going on tours in the Highlands and hearing all the myths of how different mountains came into being or what stories different ancient lands played host to. I really, truly fell in love with Scotland. I climbed mountains, sang opera in The Hidden Valley for all of my friends, took pictures with sheep and highland cows, saw and walked through the ruins of places that have seen so much of history, met the most amazing people--Scottish and otherwise, experienced traditional and modern Scotland, and drank a ton of whiskey. I will certainly, definitely go back one day! And you should go, too!

---

Experience of a Lifetime

This was a wonderful experience that helped me experience a new way of life. Although I wished I had done even more, I don't think I would have ever been fully satisfied in one month here. I am so grateful for the opportunity.

The classes I took were wonderful and really relevant to my education as a whole. My professors really cared about us and I enjoyed every minute of it.

Not the most modern living situation but definitely nice to have my own bedroom and a full kitchen.

Did interact with some Scottish people and customs but not actively pursued by the university.

Really tried to help us with our experience but not always readily available.

Very safe on campus. Just don't be in the city alone.

Great Scot(land)!

There is no exaggeration when it is reported that the University of Stirling has one of the most picturesque campuses in the UK. With the Airthrey Castle and Airthrey Loch on campus, as well as a full 18 hole golf course and a full view of the Wallace National Monument, the University of Stirling is truly beautiful. Though the campus is quite large, it becomes easier to navigate as you become more familiar with it. Tours of the campus will reveal the dormitory buildings, classroom buildings, a gym, and several paths built for walking and hiking. The Wallace National Monument is also within walking distance of campus, only taking about 5 minutes. The campus is two miles away from the town of Stirling, which hosts many restaurants and cafes as well as the town mall and is easily reachable by a bus or taxi (unless you're up for the hour long walk!). Additionally, the Stirling Castle is well within walking distance from the heart of Stirling and is well worth a visit to experience one of Scotland's most beautiful and historic castles. Within much closer walking distance is the small town of Bridge of Allan. Not quite the bustling town of Stirling, but still complete with many quaint shops and restaurants. Stirling also houses a train station with trains going to the busy cities of Glasgow and Edinburgh, easily affordable for a day trip. The public transportation in Stirling is quite easy to navigate, especially with all the bus stops having a full schedule of the different busses that stop there as well as the routes they take. Though Stirling itself is not that big, it is a wonderful place to study. The small, hometown feel is great for a relaxing study abroad experience without having to deal with the stresses of studying in a bigger, more tourist laden city such as Edinburgh or Glasgow (though they both are most certainly worth more than one day trip). If you're planning on studying in Scotland, this university really is one of the best choices available.

The classes were interesting and appropriately challenging.

The accommodations were easy and comfortable to live in. The scenery was beautiful and the campus was easy navigate.

It was very easy to immerse myself in the Scottish culture. As it is an English speaking country, there were no language barriers to overcome and there were many businesses that were similar to the ones that can be found in the United States.

The program administrators were so helpful and so friendly. They made my stay in the country wonderful.

I always, always felt safe in Stirling. Because it was significantly smaller than Edinburgh and Glasgow and doesn't have as many tourists, I never felt like I was in danger of being mugged or assaulted.

Social Life:
Several pubs and clubs to choose from when going out at night - all very fun and safe places to be.

I had a good experience

I had a very good time while in Scotland. I had a lot of trouble recieving packages, so it's not worth it to try and ship internationally. All of the people were very friendly and helpful and this is an experience I will never forget.

Bed was hard as cement

Oh Scotland

Here I learned how to and not to do things; what to and not to eat; where to and not to go, and most importantly how to live.

Great Experience

The time I have spent here has been very enriching and wonderful.

I wish the location of the dorms were closer to campus

I wish there was more diversity

The time of my life

Stirling was a delightful surprise. Being there was like being home. Never have I felt so welcome and comfortable. This city was so easy to settle into, everyone is so friendly and polite, I always felt safe and I was always having a good time. The University has some challenging work, but the work definitely pays off.

The coursework was more challenging than I had anticipated.

I was housed with the greatest people; definitely made some long-term friends

Stirling is the greatest city! Can't wait to go back there!

I loved everyone in charge!

Never Forget

I have loved my experience here in Scotland. I made some new friends that I hope to stay in touch with many for the rest of my life. We formed such great relationships and had amazing adventures around the country. The classes were interesting and the teachers were really cool. If I could I would relive thes experience over and over. Stirling is such a pretty place and there is so much to do and it is so easy and cheap to travel around. I would recommend this trip to anyone. It is truly unforgettable

Stirling is an incredible city with fun, interesting people.

The University of Stirling has an incredible campus; it's more like a small town than a college campus. There are several stores that supply everything from books to full meals to medication. Using grocery store on campus is a must as the nearest store off campus is a 20-minute walk. The student union also has two cafes and a movie theatre, both of which are great for socializing with others!

The education was clearly top-notch, but perhaps not during the summer session. My professor didn't push us too much because he understood that it was only a 4-week course, but then the final assignments were much harder than he led us to believe.

The student flats also leave much to be desired; uncomfortable beds, and broken faucets and showers were hallmarks in most of the flats. The porter is available to fix these problems 24/7, but he visited once to survey our problems, promised to return the next day, and never showed up again.

Overall, I had a great experience OUTSIDE my flat. Stirling is a gorgeous city with many things to do and lots of history to experience. The pub food is superb and the locals are very friendly and love to have a good time with the American students. I would definitely visit Stirling for a month - any longer, and it would be very difficult to continue living in the flats.

Since classes were only 4 weeks long, the professor didn't try to teach anything really substantial. The final assignments were excessive considering the amount we learned and feedback contained conflicting information.

Very uncomfortable beds, loud noises all through the night, broken bathroom faucet, flooded shower, overly sensitive smoke alarms.

The trips included in the program costs were incredible! We went to St. Andrews, Edinburgh and Glasgow free of charge.

The administration was available at all times; they clearly took pride in their jobs and it had a positive effect on our time there.

The fire alarm went off several times while we were at the university - the porter would be at our flats very quickly to ascertain what was happening. There are fire doors everywhere in the flats, which could end up saving lives in the event of a fire.

Social Life:
The students in the flats love to have a good time - most of my flatmates were Americans under the age of 21, which was both good and bad. They love to go to pubs and it is easy to make friends and socialize. This was negative because many of the students would come home at 4 or 5am and the doors in the flat slam so a good night's sleep isn't that likely.

Summer in Scotland 2012

Overall it was a really great experience! I would definitely recommend the program to anyone interested in studying abroad.

Very safe city.

Social Life:
Tons of places to hang out in the area and interesting tours to go on.

Good experience.

This program was very well organized and very well executed. I loved my modules, and the professors were incredible. I would definitely recommend this program to anyone who wanted to go to Scotland.

I absolutely loved my classes during this summer abroad.

Good accommodations.

I was with all American students.

Good administration.

I never didn't feel safe.

Social Life:
It was pretty easy to be social.

It's all you've ever dreamed of and more.

The program I went to was definitely worth the time and the money. I have learned and experienced so much in my time here. I would do this again in a heartbeat if I could. I have made friends for a lifetime and really understood myself and my home culture. I've tried so many new things and have seen things that no one could say they have ever had the chance to. I wouldn't trade this for the world.

It's really fun. Certainly interesting getting a misleading piece of information for a class (not CIS' fault). I learned a lot for how short the classes were.

I got lucky with my flatmates. I enjoyed having a sink in my room!

We interact a lot with the interns and with the other US students. But as far as interacting with the local culture, it's harder than it looks.

This is a good program, except I didn't really find anything about this program special. I figured since I was going through a third party, they would have a trip planned especially for CIS members. Sadly disappointed. I also thought I'd get a lot of information from them. I wound up getting the same information from the University I was going to a few days before I got the info. from CIS.

I have never felt more safe walking down a street at 1 am than I have here. There's always movement and well-lit areas. I have no concern for being robbed.

Social Life:
The pubs are the best taste of your country. My flatmates and I tried to find the hole-in-the-wall pubs and eatery. There we really felt the Scottish atmosphere versus the pubs that cater to drunk Americans.

Halfway Through

Although I am still here for another month, I cannot believe how quickly time has passed. Despite some early arguments with flatmates and a dislike of the program administrator this summer has been great thus far.

A Month Abroad In Scotland

This has been an amazing trip, I would do it over again in a heartbeat! The administration was tricky to figure out, but to be honest, no one really studies while they're studying abroad.
I met some amazing people and had the time of my life.
Scotland was so much more than expected, I had the time of my life here.

Social Life:
I don't drink alcohol and much of the culture is pub culture but don't let that deter you from coming.

Good program

I had a lot of fun and learn more things then I though i would just by visiting the town

Classes were informative

The only complaint i have is that I didnt get to live with the people we had requested to live with.

I never felt unsafe

Everyone is really friendly

Scotland was a welcoming place that I wish I'd seen more of.

I greatly enjoyed my surroundings at Stirling University, though the cultural exposure was somewhat limited.

Would have been nice to integrate with Scottish students more. We didn't get to know any students that weren't from America aside from the interns.

Summer in Scotland was amazing.

During my CIS abroad summer in scotland, I was emerged into a different culture and had amazing experiences I won't ever forget. I'm glad that I chose CIS abroad and I have had the best summer of my life. All smooth sailing, and now that I'm home, I want nothing more than to go back to Scotland!

Summer in Scotland 2012 was an average experience.

The University of Stirling enables a great focus on providing their students with the ability to soak up the Scottish culture. Even challenge its newcomers to what it means to be Scottish. However, the experience average and did not meet my expectation of being life altering. Just learned different words and phrases as well as ate traditional Scottish food. Nothing too enlightening. This was my first out of the United States adventure, and I am quite saddened that it wasn't everything I had hoped.

The expectations of what the classes would be like were muddled and skewed. For Example, the Photographing the Urban class is not a studio photography class, it is more of an art history with multiple research papers and some photography taking projects.

The flats were designed to be co-ed which relieved a lot of tension. If it wasn't then the 98% female population would have a hard time living on campus.

Every week a new taste of Britain was distributed as well as a huge focus on showing the students what living in the UK is like by taking us on day trips and providing a traditional dance program.

The range of students in attendance included of age and those still in High School. Because of the vastness of age ranges and maturity levels, the administration should have taken better care in owning responsibility for us students. Leaving people at locations on purpose without cause isn't something to lead by. This is an out of the country experience be more gentle to those still trying to find themselves.

Regardless of program administration, the safety of this trip is decent. Just make sure you are a leech to other people and you will be fine. One girl did get stinging nettle on her leg during the surprised hike to Bridge of Allan!

Social Life:
The experience cost a lot of money to just be an average experience. Did not have that much money to work with so it caused me to turn down every pub excursion and night out at the club. Everyone else seemed to use their money towards those things and I stayed back because I did not want to waste my money on drinking and clubbing. The other students snubbed be from the start.

Scotland changed my life.

Scotland was fantastic, but I definitely learned more from outside the classroom than in it.

Classes were only American students with a very few exceptions