CISabroad participants CISabroad participants

Take me back!

I had the most fun in Peru and it was made possible by the amazing staff here at CISabroad. Even though I applied on time, I wasn't able to pay on time so I withdrew my application but my scholarship came in last minute, making it possible for me to go. The people at CIS really came through in organizing everything last minute--including a vegetarian homestay family. The tours included by the program had great tour guides and overnight stay options. We had a lot of tour guides that we organized but the ones we met on tours organized by CIS were literally the best.

Great Summer in Peru

An incredible experience! I loved being able to improve my Spanish while living with a family. The program was exactly what I was looking for and more. Not to mention CIS was extremely helpful every step of the way.

Summer in Peru

My trip to Peru was very cultural and educational. The program had a great group of students and the coordinators were very helpful in answering questions. My homestay family was very good and very accommodating. It made the experience more enjoyable and I would recommend that a student choose this option of living to get the most out of their study abroad experience.

Summer in Cusco Review

I loved living in Peru for 5 weeks! I lived with the sweetest and most amazing family (and I definitely recommend the home stay option). June is also fiesta season in Cusco and therefore a great time to go! People also speak slowly in Cusco which makes it a great place for learning Spanish and the people are really friendly. I felt safe in Cusco and in my home stay.

Perfect First Study Abroad!

This was my first study abroad experience and didn't really know what to expect at first. That being said, this was definitely one of the best five weeks of my life! I felt like length was perfect for my first extended period living abroad. My host family was really kind and the food was delicious. I even got to go bungee jumping!

I thought the courses went well, especially considering we only had 5 weeks to cram a lot of information.

My host family was great! They were better than anything I could have expected.

I think that even more could be done to help encourage students to be more immersed in the culture, perhaps having a day where everyone learns how to cook a Peruvian meal or have salsa lessons at the school. Anything really.

Everyone was great and very helpful!

If you are smart about it then it is a rating of A, but chances of getting something stolen are pretty high. My cell phone was stolen while I was at one of the clubs.

Good

I thought my course went well and I really learned alot!

Good experience

Overall the CIs abroad experience was good. I met people from other places in the states and had a fun class. The program did a good job keeping everyone involved in social events, etc.. I did not personally stay involved in them, which I probably should have because the program is very expensive for what I got out of the program. But it was a great 3 week course and experience. I ended up extending my trip for an additional 3 weeks because London is amazing and there's not enough time in 3 weeks to travel if that's what you are also interested in.

I loved my teachers in my television course. They were very informative, professional, and made the experience fun and enjoyable. The assignments were fair and challenging enough for a 3 week course.

We decided to live outside of the dorms at another location. It was okay. If we could do it again we would find a enjoyable apartment.

Everything was what I expected. No surprises and every experience was great and I learned so much about myself. The cultural shock was that great but when we traveled a few times we were able to experience other cultures and languages.

Everyone was very helpful and patient. The staff was awesome and catered to the students needs and wishes.

Always felt safe and secure in my dorm and around town. There's taxis always available and the tubes are fine throughout the day. Stick to the bus system at night.

Social Life:
I had a great time meeting new people and going to
The bars and clubs. London definitely has a great night life.

Experience of a lifetime

The experience was amazing! Cusco is a beautiful but cold city. Even though i got sick and ended up in the hospital, i would not change a thing. The people of Cusco really are so friendly. Being able to imerge my self in their culture for 5 weeks has been the most amazing experience of my life! and i also made great friends from the states, we all got along so well and are already talking about visiting each other.

The classes seemed pretty disorganized. But the teachers were absolutely great! knowledgible and willing to help with anything

My host family were so nice. However, there were problems with the hot water and it would have been nice to have a heater, as some other students did.

Amazing! life changing experience. was able to live like a cuscuena for 5 weeks, taking the ups with the down. I would not change a thing.

The staff is so nice expecially Grizel, however i think some things are Limas fault, where their main campus is located. For example we did not get out passwords until the 3rd week and some of them still did not work.

I have never felt unsafe in Cusco at all even coming back from the bars late ( or early) in the morning. I walk on the streets and take the bus alone everyday and feel perfectly comfortable. There are lots of police expecially near down town area

Social Life:
there is always something going on in Cusco! i thik ive seen more parades here than i have my whole life in the states. Its a tourist town also so the bars and clubs are always open.

The Puma City

Cusco is an absolutely beautiful city; Inca stonework and Spanish architecture line the streets and the people are amazingly friendly. As in many cities, the traffic is wild and it can be pretty loud, but it is also very safe and friendly.
Just a hop and a skip away from the Sacred Valley of the Incas and Machu Picchu; there are many amazing sites to explore, each quite different from the last.
Vendors and markets create a wonderful shopping experience with great prices and variety. If you're looking for gifts to bring home, there's no short supply. You should be able to find something for just about anyone here.
The food is amazing; definitely try out a variety of restaurants. It's worth the exploration.

The professors were very knowledgeable, helpful, and passionate about the subjects they taught and the use of field trips any various other teaching methods made the classes very engaging. The only issue I had with the classes was that the work load took away from the ability to immerse oneself in the culture because so much time had to be dedicated to studying.

The family I stayed with was wonderful. They included me in their family activities as well as let me do my own thing when I so chose. The food was spectacular (better than any restaurant).

The academic work load felt like it limited my ability to really get out and see the city most days, but field trips helped with that. Overall, I feel that I got a good feel of the culture.

I usually feel unsafe in big cities, but Cusco was very friendly and even walking alone in the dark I didn't feel in danges

Social Life:
I usually don't have too difficult of a time making friends, but it was very easy here.

Summer in Peru!

I decided to travel to Peru for half of a summer semester in order to finish my Spanish minor, and it was the best possible decision I could have made in order to do this. There is absolutely nothing like learning a language in a native-speaking country, so if that is your goal, I strongly recommend this program! Even if you are not studying the language, you will see the world differently after travelling to a place so different from the United States. The experiences you will have will be so unique and memorable that you will think fondly of them for them rest of your life.

Kind of Boring

I don't mean to put a damper on the program, because some students really loved it. However, this was not the right program for me. Although Cusco and surrounding areas have a lot to offer culturally, once you have seen those sites, the city becomes very plain and boring. It is also often frustrating because of all of the tourism. Even though my friend and I planned excursions every weekend for the entire group, the week days were always very long and boring and we felt as though we had nothing to do except go out to eat. It was disappointing because I was expecting to assimilate into a new culture and observe some aspects of culture not found in books, but it was extremely difficult for me as a white female ("Gringa") to do so. Most Cusqueñans did not take me or my Spanish seriously, which was frustrating because I was trying so hard to fit in. Overall, I think if you are looking for an exciting program with lots to do all the time, search for a bigger, less tourist-filled place.

Cusco is so touristy that it's difficult to ever get past being looked at as a tourist.

USIL: unfulfilled potential

Universidad San Ignacio de Loyola in Cusco has all the right people to be an amazing school but it fails to meet this potential. The professors are all smart and enthusiastic about teaching and learning but they seem to lack experience to make best use of their skills. In one of my classes I felt like I was only getting my professor's side of the story due to a lack of diverse sources for learning. On the other hand the trips we went on were truly enlightening and showed the non-tourist side of Peru. I think in a few years this will be a great program, but currently it's rough around the edges and a bit weak academically.

While I definitely learned things, I felt the classes were slow and often heavily biased (for my culture class) also I saw at least one case where my reading had a portion copied directly from Wikipedia.

Really good except for the broken sink.

Great trips and opportunities to really expose oneself to the culture.

The CIS administrator for this trip is amazing.

You could try and get mugged and still fail.

Social Life:
The other students were more interested in drinking and partying than anything else, which pretty much left me alone the entire trip. Many were just interested in Spanish but not the cultures associated with it.