CISabroad participants CISabroad participants

Summer in Costa Rica

You NEED To Study Abroad!

Whether it's in Latin America, Europe, etc., I HIGHLY recommend studying or interning abroad to EVERYONE. Studying abroad in Costa Rica has definitely been one of the highlights in my undergraduate career, and if I had the chance to I would go to Europe, preferably Italy, France, Spain, or Czech Republic! While I was abroad, I faced my fear of heights by ziplining across Latin America's highest and longest zipline. It was terrifying, but awesome! I made life-long friends and travel buddies. And I definitely took away great life pointers from this experience. For example, cultural competency, open-mindedness, safety within foreign environments, economic differences across the globe, and many more. Sometimes finances inhibit students from studying abroad. The best advice I can give is to make it happen by any means necessary because you CANNOT miss out this life changing experience. I applied last minute and missed a bunch of scholarship deadlines, so definitely don't do that. However, my program was understanding enough to still provide me with a minor, but very helpful, scholarship. Apply and take a leap of faith! It will change your perspective on life forever. Happy and safe travels!

Best Way to Learn Spanish!

This trip was an amazing experience. My host family was amazing, the professors at the university were great, and the people I met are what I consider lifelong friends! The cultural immersion forces you to learn Spanish, and it is honestly the best way to do so! I highly recommend this program to all!

Costa Rica: Hidden Treasure of Spanish Cultures

I loved coming to Costa Rica. The language spoken here was easier than I though it would be. The living situation worked well, communication between my host family was easy and convenient. I give it a 10. I wish more people would have stayed for 8 weeks, but I understand their situations. I plan on advising others to come to Veritas and Costa Rica because of the quality of education I received.

Excellent Experience in Costa Rica

I will never forget this study abroad experience. My academic experience was the best, the program coordinator Lisa made me feel very comfortable and helped me access everything I needed in Costa Rica. Before leaving to Costa Rica CIS prepared me well to go abroad and gave me information that I needed to take with me.

My review of Costa Rica.

Costa Rica was an incredible time and is a very special country. It is considered the happiest country in the world, has everything from perfect weather, beautiful sights, and some of the nicest people I have ever met. It is a very special and unique country to Latin America. Although it is a small country it has a huge amount of things to offer. After being there for over 9 weeks, there were still countless things I wanted to do. I went in with a positive attitude and knew I would get a lot out of the experience, but after going there I got the most amazing experience that I never imagined I would get.

AMAZING

Everything about my experience was fantastic. From Brian in the States helping me organize everything I needed to Lisa in Costa Rica and her extremely helpful hand. The school was awesome and my host mother was amazing. All of my excursions, planned with CIS or not, we're a blast. I would relive this experience a thousand times over.

Awesome experience

Loved the entire experience. CIS did a great job. Plan on doing another trip with them in Spain.

Costa Rica

Every experience is what you make of it.

Pura Life

Musa Confusa is the spot to go if you want a decent priced meal that is delicious.

Advanced courses for native speakers are challenging to a point then it becomes redundant.

I LOVED the host family i lived with. They treated me like one of their children as well as were super nice and super supportive. they were flexible to our schedules when they changed.

The excursions were a great way to learn more about costa rica as well as the culture of the locals. I wish the students would practice their spanish during the excursions but one cant control that.

Our on site director ROCKS!! i honestly think she should have an application on iphone or droid for places to eat because all the places she recommends are amazing.

people need to be more aware of their surroundings so stupid things wont happen to them

love the night life

Great month

this has been the best experience of my life so far. Ive enjoyed the ups and downs of being here and im so grateful to have lived it.

2 Months in Costa Rica

My experience in Costa Rica was incredible. Everyone that I had the opportunity to meet and talk with was incredibly friendly and fun to have a conversation with. The professors and staff at the university were some of the greatest people I've ever met and they stopped at nothing to make sure that I enjoyed my time in a foreign country. I loved taking trips every weekend and I even went to a soccer game while I was there. Overall, I had a great experience and would recommend this program and this trip to anyone who was looking to go.

Amazing experience

thjs program was great, they help you through everything and are always there for you. I do wish the program was more organized when it came to excursions. There were a few times we were told we would have extra time for additional activities on the excursions, but it changed once we were there. Other than that the people are great!

Wonderful Experience!

I loved Costa Rica. Everything about it made me a better, more well-rounded person. I would go back in a second! Everyone was very welcoming and treated us like we were at home. The locals were interesting, kind people and my homestay was great.

Canopy

Very scarry but very cool!

Little supplementary information provided by instructors. Work load is generally fair.

Wonderful!

Most people spoke english even when addressed in Spanish.

Just stay in groups and be aware of your surroundings.

I enjoyed my time in Costa Rica

You won´t regret studying abroad in Costa Rica!

Dropped in tico land with amazing people.

I had the privilege of landing in Costa Rica with amazing roommates. We quickly became friends exploring the city and local beaches. The school, Veritas, is small but amazing and the classes are right on target with what you want. My spanish class was fantastic, I learned more in my 4 week class than I did in 3 years of high school spanish. My teachers were amazing. I would do it all again. There is so much to see in Costa Rica and so much to do.

You are dropped in the middle of everything, it was awesome

I never felt unsafe, but I did take precautions. I was always in a group and kept my purse or bookbag close to my body.

Trip of a Lifetime

This trip solidified my desire to immerse myself in the spanish language and culture.

Both classes I took were fun and interesting but neither my Spanish or elective class were challenging.

I loved my host family! They were very welcoming and you could tell that they really wanted to give us the best possible experience. This is where I learned and used the most Spanish.

There are so many activities provided both by the school and CIS director that make it easy to immerse yourself in the culture. The only downfall was I did not participate in all of them.

Everyone who assisted me in this experience was knowledgeable and helpful. Any problems I had were dealt with quickly and efficiently.

Before arriving I had read that Costa Rica was a dangerous place where you couldn't go out alone and people would steal your bags. I was shocked to see that what I read on the internet was far from the truth. The area of my house and the university was very residential and very safe. When walking in down town it was best to stay with a small group and watch your belongings, but it was no different from being in any major US city.

Social Life:
There are so many activities provided by both the school and company where many students go. There are malls, bars, and restaurants all very close by.

Panaderia

Find local bakeries and eat there as much as possible. Many Costa Rican prices are comparable to U.S. prices, except for the bakeries which are very inexpensive. Everything is fresh-made and delicious.

Wonderful professors with an effective teaching style.

Kind and generous and wonderful cooks.

Same as any major city anywhere in the world.

Social Life:
Very easy to make friends. Everyone lives within walking distance of each other. Get ready to enjoy yourself.

My experiences

This experience was great. I got to really dive into Spanish during class, then I could explore the area and see the cool attractions. I wish I would have taken the initiative and met more locals but I made many friends from around the US.

It was challenging and I learned a ton. I enjoyed my classes.

My host was very receptive and excited to have me there. She was helpful and patient when I didn't know how the words in Spanish.

I got to experience many different aspects of the culture but it was way too easy to only make friends with other students from the US

They were very helpful and welcoming.

I felt pretty safe as long as I was not alone. I did not feel scared when I would go out, because I always took precautions.

Social Life:
I wish I would have met more locals, but the friends I did meet are great and we did a lot of different things together most days.

Summer in San Jose

When my mom was in college, she studied in Costa Rica and absolutely fell in love. Because I had Spanish experience, and because my mom had gone there, I decided it was where I wanted to have my first study abroad experience--and I have absolutely no regrets.

Costa Rica is an amazing country, and very different from the States. Universidad Veritas had a great vibe--they had cool indoor/outdoor spaces inside the university, complete with trees and other plants. My class instructor was excellent, and I found the students at the school very oriented towards foreign exchange students. I got to help model some clothes for a group studying clothing design, which was really cool--if a little nerve-wracking at first!

If you're nervous about going abroad--maybe it's your first time leaving home, maybe you don't speak perfect Spanish--CIS is the perfect program to help you get your feet wet. The onsite coordinator in Costa Rica was super knowledgeable, compassionate, and fun-loving. She made our excursions and socials exciting and enjoyable, but was also there for any questions or concerns we had. The CIS staff will help you through every step off the application and acceptance process, and through every day you're in your host country. Studying abroad is one of the best things I've ever done for myself. I grew in self-confidence, learned to let loose a little bit, and fell in love with Costa Rica, its people, and its ecology--just like my mom did.

Be aware of your surroundings.

It's important to remember you're in another country, so just use your common sense when traveling.

Veritas was a great school, especially for study abroad students!

as long as you aren't alone, everything will be okay. Traveling in groups is so important, especially since there is automatically a target on you as a tourist/ exchange student.

Social Life:
San Jose has a lot to offer, but traveling to other areas is also very fun! There are many Ladies nights, so definitely try to find those spots and take advantage. On the same note, make sure you travel in groups!!! Never ever go out at night alone.

You get what you put in

Costa Rica is an awesome place to study abroad. Great people, beaches, and food.

Awesome adventures in wonderful weather while having fun warning credits and staying with a family

I enjoyed this program a lot. My family taught me so much about Costa Rica and the culture of the country. The classes were interesting and I was able to earn 8 credits in five weeks. The adventures I went on were things that most people only dream of...ziplining and waterfalls. My only complaint is that the better excursions cost money out of your own pocket and aren't included in the program fee. Also, the university set up a field trip to the same place that I had gone on with the CIS abroad program.

I didn't always feel safe walking in San Jose. I had class at night and it was difficult to find someone to walk with. There was no shuttle at that time either.

A Stellar Adventure

Reviews are difficult because each experience is so unique and depends so much on the individual's attitude on experiencing life. For me, I was able to accomplish what I came to do. I was able to learn more Spanish, go on adventures, and experience the Costa Rican lifestyle. It was made stellar because I was surrounded by strangers (now friends) who came to accomplish similar goals. We traveled on the weekends together, we studied together, we danced the nights away. We lived. The best thing in life is having the opportunity to be in a place like Costa Rica that allows you to really experience life and even better when shared with friends.

The school is wonderful, very modern and clean. Class time was well organized, challenging, fun, and included excursions and time to watch the World Cup.

It wasn't a five star hotel and I was not expecting it to be. It was a real experience staying in a home in a different culture. I appreciated it.

I truly experienced the Costa Rican lifestyle by interacting with my host family. I loved my host mother's cooking and am grateful for the time we spent every night after dinner practicing Spanish.

There were some wrong emails and billing sent to me, but were corrected promptly, and I had some personal problems understanding directions (which is operator error, not the program).

The barbed wire fenced homes are intimidating, the catcalls annoying, the streets a bit dirty . . . but I never felt that I was in danger. It really helped that we had our own personal "knights in shining armor" who would make sure we got home safe after school.

Social Life:
It helps when you make friends :)

Different

It was good experience. The country as beautiful. the touristic places were expensive yet beautiful. The people were helpful and my host mom was very nice and intelligent and passionate about religion and politics like I am

It was clean and neat

I wished I could have stayed longer

They were very helpful.

It was very safe . they had barb wires and several locks