CISabroad participants CISabroad participants

Summer in Argentina

Great Experience!

Argentina is an absolutely amazing country with so much to offer. Culturally amazing and very unique. So much to do. Buenos Aires is an amazing city and lots to do outside of the city. This was a great program and lots of fun.

BA

Wish I could have traveled more around the country, but the school was great, the residencia was a great experience and I'm glad I did not do a home stay. And the city of Buenos Aires was amazing.

Spanish Immersion in Argentina

Classes are five hours a day, five times a week with a one hour break spread out through the day. I felt that the classes were very challenging, yet they were fair and did not give out a ton of homework outside of class. Even though the classes were long, our teachers did a good job of being enthusiastic and made an effort to try to make the day go by faster.

During the day it is completely safe in the area I am at. If it is night time, don't go out by yourself and don't go to touristy spots. Don't whip out your phone or any other valuables at night if you are by yourself.

Social Life:
There are hundreds of bars and restaurants within a ten minute walk from my residency, so I always have somewhere new to try with my friends if I want to go out. Living in a residency is nice because there is usually someone there to go out at night with if you feel like going out. Living in a residency gives you the freedom and independence do go out whenever you feel like it without having a curfew.

Helpful program

I thought my program was very helpful in adjusting to living in a foreign country. I wasn't here for very long, but I wish we had done more as a group.

A Month in Buenos Aires

School hours were longer than we anticipated and the living conditions came with a long list of rules that caught us off guard. The rest of the experience was very rewarding and I highly recommend the area. The locals that we interacted with were very welcoming and kind and the social life was extremely fun.

Great academics

Great academics and host family, however not enough group activities or cultural activities throughout the weeks to know what the city has to offer in the eyes of a local (more afternoon/short day excursions).

New Perspective

I had an excellent experience in Argentina! I gained perspective, made strides toward achieving fluency, gained valuable friends, but mostly, I discovered my independence. Buenos Aires is a friendly town with plenty of sight-seeing opportunities and a wonderful place to live for those that love big cities.

I thought the course was excellent, fast-paced, and involved high levels of learning. My teacher was superb. I would've perhaps liked to not attend school with other students from the United States.

The food was good, but repetitive. The staff was friendly. The rooms were a bit small, but I liked having Argentinian roommates.

Part of this was my own fault, but I met Americans in my Spanish class and that is who I became friends with and when we weren't in class, we spoke English. I should've worked harder to speak Spanish outside of class, but I didn't as much as I should have.

Marina was extremely helpful and friendly! She definitely made my trip more informed and enjoyable. She was so willing to help me and answer my questions.

I never felt that my safety was in question.

Social Life:
There were other Americans in the residencia and in my program so I had opportunities to socialize. But there were also plenty of people that did not speak English so I had trouble communicating with them and thus establishing a relationship.

culturally submersive but disappointing in guidance and residence living

I had a great time while in Argentina, but none of that really had to do with the CISabroad program. I enjoyed the two excursions that were included, but wished there was more guidance, even a map of the city, provided that could assist in the introduction to the city of Buenos Aires. Also, the living situation was not pleasant - the food was less than mediocre and the living arrangements were not up to par. However, the staff of the residence was great.

I always felt very safe.

Social Life:
I had a great social experience, however it was not because of the program.

Experiencing the City

Of course there is no way to fully experience a city as big as Buenos Aires in just 4 weeks. However, in comparison with our classmates who were in other programs, CIS could have planned more group activities and meet ups so that we could have more guidance in exploring the city. It would be beneficial to include optional outings for students, like myself, who need a little more support in experiencing an new, unfamiliar place.

The course content was very rigorous and helpful. It was beneficial to my experience in Buenos Aires. We were taught useful content such as how to order food when out and how to ask for directions. Although the classes were somewhat long and draining, they were very beneficial.

The residencia was nice for the most part but there was no official "orientation" that would help students understand some of the basic necessities of living there. It would have been nice to know that although the staff cleans the rooms on a regular basis, it is up to the students to provide their own toilet paper. It took me about a weeks to figure a lot of things out on my own. It can also get a little noisy in the residencia but that is due largely to the nocturnal nature of the Argentineans.

We were living right in the city in a provincia that was filled with night life, restuarants, and plazas. Palermo was a great place to live because we were right in the middle of the action.

Our site director was great in helping us with anything that we needed.

Palermo and Belgrano were both very safe places in Buenos Aires.

Social Life:
Although we lived right in the center of night life, we were often too tired from our 5 hour class or busy with homework to go out on a regular basis. However, when I did get the chance to go out, it was nothing short of awesome.