CISabroad participants CISabroad participants

Summer at Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona

Amazing experience

Everything about my study abroad experience was amazing. I met awesome people and saw amazing things that I will have with me forever, you won't regret leaving your comfort zone.

Loved the apartment! And the neighborhood, I always felt safe.

Great opportunities and experiences

CIS was a fabulous program and really helped me feel comfortable right away in Spain. The staff was great and all the activities included in the program were fantastic and probably things I wouldn't have done on my own.

An Unforgettable Challenge

Living in Barcelona this past month and a half has been unbelievable, for both good and bad reasons. Barcelona is a wonderful city, with so much to see and do. Adjusting to the cuture was challenging of course, but ups and downs are natural. CISabroad was helpful and accomodating, always willing to help, even though communication prior to in-country arrival wasn't always great. Overall, a great experience.

Professors were active and engaging, good course content, overall good experience at UAB

Excellent apartment in a great neighborhood, close to the school, preferences were obviously considered

As I was placed with Spanish speaking internationals, I was wholly immersed in the culture.

Some confusion and disorganization prior to my arrival. For example, I did not get a definite answer to some questions about the proximity of my apartment to the school. Once in country, staff were generally helpful, yet information about events was sometimes put out at the last minute

Never felt unsafe, generally. Care and caution is still absolutely necessary, though, as it is a city infamous for its pickpockets.

Social Life:
The party/club scene is great in Barcelona, but if you're not into that like I am, there's always a casual bar or restaurant open late at night if you just want to relax.

CIS

Wonderful experience! Everyone was helpful, the apartment was great, we had a few issues with the washing machine but everything was taken care of once we notified the program. The school was a great facility and both teachers I had were great.

Outstanding

Great staff, great students, great location. Tons of included cultural activities that might have been missed on my own. Experience of a lifetime that I will never forget. I would recommend CIS to anyone.

I would never recommend going anywhere alone at night but I never felt uncomfortable. During the day, wandering the city by yourself is not an issue. Pick pocketing is the only thing to be aware of at all times.

Social Life:
So much to do during the day and night. Restaurants, bars, clubs, music etc.

yay

It was an overall positive experience

my homestay locked all the doors to the rooms of the apartment. it felt like they thought i was a thief and was going to steal something.

A super quick look into something I wish I could have stayed longer with.

CIS and the UAB program were really something that I wasn't expecting. It was not good or bad, but pleasantly different. Taking classes and living on your own in a huge city abroad is not something for the uncertain and unwilling. Attending classes while keeping up with everything going on around you is tough, but it is so worth the experience. For those who want to get a taste of the Spanish lifestyle and workings, you will find what you need and much more in Barcelona and with this program.

Also keep in mind that 88% of the population in Barcelona and Catalunya speak Catalán, along with Spanish, which makes for an even better time.

Good professors but bad students and attitudes for learning.

Loved the apartment and the roomates. Had a lot of fun, and overall a good location, I just didn't like the noise, but hey, its a city.

I wish people in Barcelona didn't want to practice their English on us.

It seemed like things were out of touch sometimes, but when organized everything went well.

Barcelona is a very safe city. Just keep an eye on your pockets and lock your doors and you'll be fine.

Social Life:
I wish I spoke better Spanish so that I could have mingled more and talked to more people around the city.

Great Program!!

Had a fantastic time with CISabroad! The staff were incredible, always there when you needed them, very clear, and always willing to go the extra mile to make sure you had all your questions answered. Housing was very clean and nice and near to several metro stops and my roommates were great! Classes were nearby and very much how I thought they would be, challenging, but not impossible!

Summer In Barcelona

My study abroad trip in Barcelona was amazing, I had THE time of my life! I would do it all over again if I could. I initially thought all the students in the program would be leaving together in a dorm or apartment complexes close enough. The commute to and from class was not bad. Being from NYC I commute with Public transportation all the time. My Spanish class was very intensive and informative, compared to my classes back home. In just 7 weeks I've learned so much about Spanish history, culture and politics. In addition, I had the chance to meet people all over the world. I didn't know that everyone else in the world spoke a minimum of three languages. It really shows how much we're lacking in the United States. The class schedule Mon-Thurs was perfect if you wanted to travel to other cities in Spain or even go abroad for a weekend getaway. If you plan in advance you'd be surprise how cheap it is to travel to Paris or Rome. I stayed in a 3 bedroom, 2 bath apartment with 4 other American female students. It was interesting meeting people from different walks of lives and experiencing this life changing experience. The only sour experience was getting food poisoning on one of the weekend excursions. To get sick in a country with a language barrier is truly a scary sight. However, the onsight staff made sure we were in good hands and checked up on us after leaving the hospital. I loved it and I guarantee you would be looking for your next study abroad trip before this one is finish!

Much more than I expected

I knew that Barcelona had a lot to offer, but you literally can go to a different bar every night and have an amazing time! Every place is different and eclectic and i was very impressed by everything the city had to offer.

Go to Spain!!

CIS Abroad made my trip fun. We had some really awesome events throughout my stay in Spain and every one was always so helpful!

UAB was great! I learned so much

Family was very different to adjust to. I felt like a guest the whole 6 weeks

More things done in the beginning of the program, please.

Everyone was helpful and nice

Lots of men stare, some situations can be uncomfortable. But I really only felt scared one time.

Social Life:
You're got be open and connect with random people.

Culturally Impressive Summer!

For a chance to roam free in a culturally rich environment while still having the security of a staff who cares, CIS Abroad delivers. And then some. The program places students in a university with other English-speaking international students, and the course material and workload still allows for plenty of time to explore the foreign landscape freely. It was nice having spare time to wander the streets on my own or with friends, talk with the locals, and see the sites that I wanted to see. Yet, the program also provided activities and excursions to enhance the study abroad experience. Activities introduced students to different areas of the foreign city, glimpses into the local lifestyle and cuisine (delicious), and events that showcased the best that the city had to offer (in Barcelona's case, flamenco shows, outdoor markets, and cultural events like festivals and art showcases). I loved that the program also took students to nearby places for daytrips or weekend excursions. I would highly suggest a homestay, as this gives students a complete immersion in the foreign city. I had the best time of my life, and I would recommend this program to others. One thing I would suggest the program improve is the quality of communication they provide to students prior to the trip. However, once abroad, the program staff did everything in their power to answer any questions or doubts.

I loved my classes at UAB. I would have preferred to be in a university that also included Spanish-speaking students. All of the students in my university were English-speaking, and most were Americans.

My homestay was perfectly suited to my personality and personal preferences. I also loved that other international students stayed at my homestay as well. It provided for a very international house! My Senora was kind, generous, and encouraging of my trying to improve my Spanish-speaking skills. We will definitely keep in touch, and we feel like family now!

I think that CIS Abroad had a fantastic balance of allowing students free time to explore the city on their own, while also providing cultural activities and excusions to introduce students to different parts of the city. I feel that the price of the study abroad program matched the amount of cultural immersion we received.

Before my trip abroad, communicating with anyone in the CIS Abroad Office was very difficult. I wrote many emails and left many voicemails, but most of them were unanswered. Upon being accepted, I still did not receive the amount of information and attention I think I should have received. I did not know much about my program, UAB, or homestay until I was actually in Spain. I would suggest that the CIS Abroad staff make a greater effort to keep participants updated and assured of their trip.

Barcelona is extremely safe. One thing to watch out for: pick-pocketers. Clutch your belongings at all times (especially in public places like cafes and public transportation). If you are smart and on your guard, you should not have any problems with thefts. Staying out after dark was pretty safe as well. Try to use the buddy system, because theives and the like are very good at spotting foreigners.

Social Life:
Bars, clubs, and the like abound in Barcelona. Also, the beaches and mountains provide a wonderful blending of natural beauty to explore. Again, asking the locals where to go was the best bet to avoid being in a club with only Americans.

Experience

Overall, my experience while studying abroad was excellent. There were a few hiccups with the program, but the experience with the language and culture within Barcelona certainly made up for it.

My elective class was very poorly taught, and the workload seemed inappropriate for such a short term.

The host family I stayed with had many noisy guests at all hours of the day (including a three-week visit with a baby), making it very difficult to get my schoolwork done.

I had many opportunities to practice immersing not only in the language but all aspects of Spanish culture.

The onsite staff for Barcelona were awesome, however, pre-depature staff were disorganized, confusing, and not very helpful.

I never feared for my safety while studying abroad.

Experience

Homestay experience was horrible but enjoyed Barcelona and meeting new people.

Never ending problems with my home stay "mother." Wouldn't answer the door when I arrived in Barcelona, then got locked out (key wouldn't work) 3 times. Haven't had one breakfast since I've been here, and laundry wasn't provided. I ended up finding a dry cleaner down the road (very expensive). Moved her family in her apartment recently and have been sharing a towel with them (nasty... decided to buy my own towel). Not a good homestay experience.

No problems with safety.