CISabroad participants CISabroad participants

Semester on the South Island, New Zealand

Semester on the South Island, New Zealand

Amazing program, I had the time of my life. Seeing New Zealand in all its glory is nothing short of breathtaking. Alex Hill is amazing and I loved working with her as my site director. Hats off to Seth, too, for answering all of my questions. GREAT program.

Semester in Dunedin

My semester was the best six months of my life. New Zealand is the most beautiful country I've ever stepped foot in, but it's more than just the landscape. The people are so warm and friendly, lending a hand to anyone in need. Everything is informal with them, and they make you feel comfortable just in how simply they live. Dunedin is bursting with life and trust me, there's never a dull moment there. By far the best decision I've made in college, and the best time I could have ever asked for.

New Zealand

Great city with tons of activities around. I reccomend buying or renting a car and taking road trips.

Very safe,

Living the dream

nz is one of the most beautiful places on earth. It is filled with nothing but adventure. The kiwis are all welcoming and the university of otago campus is beautiful. every weekend I would go on a tramp with twenty of my friends and explore everything nz has to offer. I recommend traveling to both the north and South Island but preferably I liked the south better. This was the best experience I could have ever imagined and I've never been so sad to leave such a wonderful and eaceul place.

different kind of learning than a small school. they grade way too hard and it's all based off book knowledge not student opinion.

flatting is the absolute best

New Zealand is the absolute best

felt very taken care of

never had a worry about safety

Social Life:
I loved living in dunedin, especially where everyone parties and has the time of their lives every weekend. definitely a work hard play hard kind of university

If you want to see it all go to New Zealand !

New Zealand, hands down is the most scenic place on earth. If you want to explore your outdoorsy side then the south island is the place to be!

Wish I would have stayed!

My experience abroad was probably the best experience of my 21 years so far. I cannot even describe the relationships, stories and all around fun I had in my trip.
I studied abroad in New Zealand and fell completely head over heels in love.
I only returned to The States three days ago, but I can't help but feel that I wish I would have stayed.

Not my personal favorite. Not a fan of grade's based solely on one test.

Was able to meet the MOST incredible people. Lived in an extremely diverse flat with people I will be friends with forever.

Found myself interacting most with those of my abroad country.

Didn't hear much from my program throughout my stay but not much contact was needed.

New Zealand Experience

I learned so much in the few months abroad. I cant even explain how my experience was. It was nothing close of perfection. The friends I've made overseas will forever be one of the closest friends I will ever have. New Zealand has made me a better person and I have learned more about the world through this experience.

Great place but other programs had more options

Although my experiences in NZ was beyond amazing and the school was wonderful, I feel that other programs were given more in return for their money. Their bedding pack was provided upon their arrival, they had many meetings during the semester, received tickets to sporting events, and had an orientation prior so they knew people coming to campus.

Although difficult, the classes at Otago were well managed. I would recommend other students to only take 3 courses as finals are worth 50+% of your grade and makes it stressful.

I lived in a flat within a complex and loved it!

The kiwi host allowed us a chance to get to know the kiwi way of life and ask questions although more kiwi friends would have been cool.

They were always there to answer questions.

Campus watch was always around and I felt very safe everywhere in NZ

Excellent pre-departure prep, but awful upon arrival

CIS did a wonderful job of getting me prepared for my travels, everything was spelled out very clearly for me. They did a very poor job however, of connecting me with other students in the CIS program. Especially when compared to the other students traveling with different programs.

Incredible

Definitely recommend doing a study abroad. I chose New Zealand and I was in awe every day. The landscape coupled with the friendly atmosphere was more than i could have asked for.

Apartment style living was really fun and a new experience

Hung out with mostly international students but I got the feel of the culture right away.

Did not have much communication with this area

Never once was I afraid to walk down the street at night. I was in a college town and campus watch was always out.

Social Life:
Friendly atmosphere, easy to make friends, tons of opportunities to get involved.

It was a great semester abroad.

I loved my semester on the South Island. I really liked my living situation. I found the academics more challenging than I had expected. I thought CIS was very helpful in filling out all the paperwork and getting everything organized before I went there. Once there though I never really spoke with them. They did email us to see how we were doing, but it was different asking people back home for help. I definitely thought they were helpful, but just wish there was a way that I could have met the other CIS abroad students because most of the other programs had organized events for their group. I know there weren't many of us, so we could have done it, but it is hard to be the first person to step up. Overall though I thought the living situation and overall experience was a good one.

I thought the academics were challenging. I would definitely suggest all study abroad students to definitely take 100 and 200 level courses because it is a lot different than universities over here. With this challenge of getting used to a different style of teaching plus being abroad and making friends and traveling is very time consuming, so it is definitely best to take 100 and 200 level courses. Even though most of us are juniors, it is as if we are first years at the abroad school.

Great! Very well set up. It was nice having a New Zealand student living with us so we got to meet some people of the culture, but it was nice having other students from you country and to meet some from other countries.

Since we were living with so many international students, it was harder to meet students of the country, but I don't think there is any other way that we can get immersed in the culture. I would suggest people to join the International Mentor Programme because then you can meet more New Zealand Students.

I thought it was very helpful to have all my paperwork done for me, but I wish there was a way I could have met everyone from my program. The majority of the other programs provided trips for their students, such as pre orientation or little dinners while there. It would have been nice to have a pre orientation so that you could meet other people rather than just the people you are living with. I had a hard time at the beginning because many other people were from programs and knew a lot more people than me.

I felt very safe at all times. New Zealand is a very safe place and I felt safe all the time there.

Social Life:
Dunedin, New Zealand has a great social life for students. It is pretty much a college town, so the social life was always there when you wanted it.

Southern Semester

My semester was amazing. I meet friends who I will keep in touch with for life.