CISabroad participants CISabroad participants

Semester in Sydney at Macquarie University

Fantastic experience

I could not have wished for a better experience. Everyday brought a new adventure and created a memory. Australia is an amazing place with lots of amazing people. CISabroad helped make it all happen. I will forever hold CIS close to my heart.

Learning From Living

My entire semester in Australia was fantastic. I enjoyed every part of it and I learned more than I ever could have imagined, but not from classes. The semester abroad helped me learn all kinds of life lessons that every student needs to learn at some point. How to live on your own, pick up on public transportation, get groceries, and just deal with problems in general. No grade or mark will ever be given based on these lessons, but they are the ones that will help me thrive in life and be ready for whatever the world is going to throw at me.

it was awesome

it was awesome

Tough but good

the village was awesome. met so many people

I hung out with almost exclusively australians.

not bad

australia's safer than america probably

too much fun

Great experience

Had an amazing time in Sydney. The academics are extremely difficult but the learning environment was great. I enjoyed traveling and seeing all that Australia had to offer between the mountain, Great Barrier Reef and even skydiving in the beautiful Byron Bay.

Such a wonderful experience.

Choosing CIS abroad was a fantastic decision, and I'm so glad I decided to study in Sydney at Macquarie. Macquarie University was fantastic, and I loved all of my teachers. While a lot of the day to day immersion was up to me, I was able to take the train almost anywhere I wanted to go and was able to go into the city, to the beach, and even up to the Blue Mountains with other CIS abroad students who were in Newcastle. My roommates were all great and I was really able to immerse myself in the culture through my classes.

amazing experience

Studying abroad in Sydney has been the best experience I've ever had. I love eveything about the trip, from Macquarie University, my roommates, my new friends, to the life in downtown Sydney. Everything is amazing.

Maquarie University Villiage Living

Living in the village was a great way to learn about the Australian culture as well meeting more Aussies. While in classes it was more difficult to meet people and get to know them further. The greatest amount of people I met was through the Village and neighbors or friends of friends. This was a great way to meet new people from America as well as all over the world. I enjoyed my time at the village and would recommend other students studying abroad at Macquarie University to live there as well.

Nice condos and area just further from the city of Sydney than I was under the impression of.

Living situation was very helpful to get a well-rounded idea of the Australian culture.

Felt very safe walking around campus and The Village at night time, or alone. Great presence of public safety.

Social Life:
Living in the Macquarie University Village was a very sociable place to live and kept me very involved with other peoples lives.

I had the time of my life and met so many amazing people.

I loved everything about studying abroad in Australia except for CIS. If you have the option to use a different program, do it. Studying abroad in Sydney was the most amazing experience of my life, however, and I would recommend the experience to anyone.

Loved all my roommates by the apartment wasn't clean when I moved in.

No Words

I loved australia and everything about it but this programmed sucked to put it in a nice way. I was told mostly lies about where I would live and how everything was close by when it was not. At our orientation all we did was go to the bars and spend massive amounts of money that we could have used for something else and only received one free meal when all the programs outside of ours got meals and trips. Every other program went bungy jumping, great barrier reef, sand duning which we were told we were going to do by YOUR website and actual people. Their program also met once a month to get together and have a FREE MEAL and to make it worst they paid THE EXACT AMOUNT THAT WE DID! To say I am pissed about this orientation and this program is an understatement and I would not recommend any one else use this program. I want them to study abroad because it is a once and a lifetime experience but if they are coming to sydney, australia I would highly recommend they use a different program.

Abroad

Australia is a great country, but very, very expensive. I do not feel that I was adequately prepared for the amount of money needed to live there.

I did not find the professors helpful. I did not enjoy the school system.

My main complaint is that MUV did not have air conditioning.

MUV should not have "study abroad houses" so that we can interact with Australians more and be more immersed.

I am extremely unhappy with CISabroad and would not recommend this company. I do not see how my original advisor, (who was NOT helpful what so ever) left the company and I was not advised that we had a new advisor until I called a month later.

I never felt unsafe.

Social Life:
MUV was very fun, and Sydney had a great nightlight.

I wish I knew what CIS did for me.

CIS Abroad really is only an intermediary, they will not provide you with any help that you will see or benefit from directly. Honestly I did most, if not all of my work for studying abroad (coordinating flights, classes, housing) on my own because where they were involved I was quite dissatisfied. Otherwise Australia is an amazing country filled with the most incredible, friendly and calm people you will ever meet. If you feel like you need to relax, or even if you don't really know where you want to visit, go there because the country will show you more about yourself and teach you how to just be happy. You're probably doing a lot of things wrong if you don't come back saying you loved your trip to Australia, no matter what.

I was not warned about my roommate
I didn't have any options at all
Dirty
Over Priced
CIS did not prepare me for living there

That was mostly on me, I could have hung out with all americans if I wanted to which was not at all what I wanted.

I had a few issues during my trip and felt I had no help or support system.

Incredible

Greatest 5 months of my life

Satisfaction

Orientation was nothing I expected, we did not do any of the activities that were mentioned on the cis website and the service overall with cis was horrible they were very slow and other programs mentioned by other students too them on monthly trips and they also had a farewell dinner and cis did not do any of that. I would NOT recommend cis for a program