CISabroad participants CISabroad participants

Oman Spring 2015

I LOVED Oman. I loved the Center for International Learning and all their staff! The excursions were fantastic and breath taking, I always had something to do almost every weekend. I loved living across the street from a shisa cafe, game me something to do at night, a place to do my homework and to meet locals! I would highly recommend this program! Issam the director at CIL is incredible, and you learn you much from him and everyone there.

Living in Oman

I gave my overall experience this rating because, while not everything was perfect, I had an absolute blast. The country is beautiful, the people are so nice, and it's really great to explore. My academics section got this score because, while the "study abroad" classes that were taught in English were superb, insightful, and enlightening, the Arabic classes reminded me of those I had taken in the past. My expectations were honestly too high, and I'm sure, especially if you are a language person (unlike me!) then it will help you a lot. For the living situation, I lucked out. I loved my flatmates, and we were lucky enough to have the only oven (yay)! The cultural immersion score was the lowest that I gave out in the above questionnaire. I was disappointed with the number of excursions as well as the fact that many people didn't do home-stays. I was the only student in the entire CIL program who did, and I had an absolute blast. My host family was so nice (I miss them now that I'm home, even though I only lived with them for one month), they showed me the area from the viewpoint of a real Omani citizen (ladies, engagement parties and load so fun), and the food was awesome. I was disappointed, though, because I feel that students didn't go out enough in terms of meeting Omanis and becoming friends with them. We were there not only to learn, but to see the culture. Prospective students: make as many Omani friends as you can. They're wonderful and can become life-long companions. The program administration received a high score because everyone there was absolutely wonderful. All of the Arabic teachers are incredibly patient and understanding, along with them being just good teachers in general. Dr. Issam Khoury is one of the best teachers I have had in any college course...plus he's just awesome in general. Everyone there is willing to help. The health and safety got a perfect 10 because I never felt like I was in any kind of danger, there were plenty of clinics nearby, and the pharmacies acted not only as drug stores but if you wanted to see a doctor they were the places to go. My social life section received that score because I befriended so many people who attended CIL, but it took me a while to make Omani friends. Everyone is wonderful, though!