CISabroad participants CISabroad participants

Semester in Newcastle

Semester in Newcastle

I had the best time of my life at University of Newcastle. Accommodation was brand new and great and I lived with Australians which really helped me immerse myself. Social life was a blast, and staying on campus and having parties were the highlight of my semester as opposed to going out.

Study at the University of Newcastle in Australia

My study at the University of Newcastle was the best time of my life. The atmosphere, social life, accomodation situation, academics and Australia itself exceeded beyond any expectations I had. I loved it so much I plan o studying there again next February!

Best Semester Ever

I attended the Fall Semester in Australia not really knowing what to expect, but it turned out to be one of the best choices I could have made. I lived on campus with 4 Aussie housemates (Ted's Selfies house is the best!) and they were all so nice and accommodating, introducing me to all of their friends and telling me where different places were. I made livelong friends, not only in Australia, but from all over the world. Some of the classes were challenging, but they were also interesting, with a more laid back environment than in the states. The Uni was also always hosting events that students could go to. I can't wait until the day that I get to go back to Australia once again.

life changing

I always knew I wanted to study abroad in Australia, I just never thought I had it in me to do so. Newcastle and their people were amazing and welcoming. I made life long friendships and memories, become a better culturally competent person, and it shaped me into the person I am today
Jason, my CIS coordinator in Australia, made me feel so comfortable and there are not any amount of "thank yous" I could give him. I always say that studying abroad should be a key requirement because you learn so much about yourself that you simply cannot describe in words...you have to feel it for yourself.

Semester Abroad

I studied abroad at the University of Newcastle in Callaghan, NSW. I lived on campus in a building of 20 (all aussies but me) that was part of a cluster of building called Evatt House. It was the most amazing experience of my life, I already can't wait to go back and visit my new life long friends. My courses at Uni were challenging for sure but never overwhelming. I found the way they held courses to be much more relaxed than in the states which personally I enjoyed. I even got a chance to take a course on the Indigenous Aboriginals that lived on the land before it became the country it is today.

Life changing

I cant say anything more then this experience changed my life for the better in every way possible. I am so proud of the person I have become and the things I have accomplished through this experience.

harder

incredible

Oi! The Application Process

There is no doubt that I had a great time. But, the application process was more than just applying, it was very stressful. The communication between CIS and me was lost and difficult to keep on top of.

• CISabroad responded to this review July 21, 2015 at 10:55 AM

Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to share that we just launched a new application process online! Students can see what has been submitted and the process is more streamlined. -CISabroad

Incredible

My semester in Newcastle was amazing. Newcastle has a lot to offer with its beautiful beaches and entertaining night life. Everyone was very welcoming and making friends was easy. The campus was also very nice. The school work was very straight forward and not different from what I was used to in America.

Australia Mate

I loved University of Newcastle. It was the best. I met people I will know I will forever cherish. I can't wait to go back next semester!

I studied at the university of newcastle, it's challenging but they offer so many different options of classes it's a great school i'll be back there again soon

i hated the living situation but I'm moving off campus next semester...

I love Australia.

My international advisor, Jason, who was located on campus was very helpful.

I feel very safe here, never felt uncomfortable.

Social Life:
I love it. I made great friends. We go out at night, and if it's hot enough we go to the beach.

CISabroad STRAYA

Through my CISabroad experience I met people that changed my life forever. The program enabled me to individually cater my social and academic life to get the most out of my stay in Australia and make some unforgettable memories.

It was nice to live with as many people as I did, but the "college" experience was more for incoming freshmen than a study abroad student.

Living on campus only exposed you to students usually ranging from 18-19 years old.

Jessica Stzeimberg specifically was extremely helpful during the beginning stages of the paperwork and my study abroad experience.

Social Life:
I had classes on both Callaghan and the City Campus so I was able to make friends easily.

Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oi Oi Oi!

I absolutely loved my abroad experience! I was in Newcastle University and it was outstanding. I lived on campus with many locals and became extremely close with them. The people are so friendly and down to earth, It was an experience I will never forget. "It was heaps good!"

The teaching is different here, much more independent. I wish I knew that in advance to manage my time better.

Couldn't of asked for anything better!

Got fully immersed in the aussie culture!

Really amazing on the way to australia, showed us around and settled us in! I just wish they provided transportation at the end of our abroad experience.

Very safe.

Amazing.

cis abroad brought me the best experiences

living a semester abroad helped me in so many ways. Mainly it gave me the opportunity to interact with so many different cultures from every continent in the world.
This experience is priceless and i will reocmmend it to everyone

Australia: Where the People are Friendly and the Sun is More Likely to Give you a Sunburn.

I had an amazing experience in Australia. I was abroad for my Fall 2012 semester, so I left mid-July and returned about the end of November. I studied at the University of Newcastle, in Newcastle, NSW (about 2 hrs train ride north of Sydney). While the courses were pretty intensive and the assignments required a decent amount of dedication, the social benefits definitely made up for it. Living on campus you get to experience all kinds of events, from wine tastings, to formal dinners and dances, to just casual dress up parties and socialising with your friends (who you will come to love and eventually cry about leaving), it was fantastic. I made such close friends and definitely got a good sampling of Australian culture. During this study abroad, I also had a few breaks where I travelled to New Zealand and to Cairns (in the north- I snorkelled at the Great Barrier Reef). I have nothing else to say except to visit if you get a chance to, wear sunscreen, and Kangaroos!

The courses at this university are difficult, but I felt I learned a lot. The grading system is a bit different than in the U.S. so that's something to adjust to. I would say this uni expects a high level of work from its students.

I lived on campus in one of the dorms (which they call colleges), Evatt House. It was seriously one of the best aspects of my study abroad experience because it allowed me to meet heaps of wonderful people and to get involved in a variety of different activities, from sporting events to social events.

Living on campus afforded me the chance to live with and interact with native Australians and that is definitely important for cultural immersion.

Overall helpful in planning/organising my study abroad experience.

There were a few break ins in the dorms near mine, but overall it's okay I suppose. There are security guards, but I guess the nearby area isn't the best and there will always be those teenagers who get into mischief and steal stuff.

Social Life:
Loved it! Evatt House is an amazing place and I recommend that all students should be placed here! Great sense of community and it's so easy to meet people and get involved.

Happy

I'm extremely happy with my experience abroad. You have to make it the best you can.

The lecture classes weren't for me. Going to a small school back home was a smart choice.

I loved the apartment style housing, as well as how the colleges were set up. It was a community that did events together and got to know one another throughout the semester.

I lived at International House which meant there were Australians, but also people from around the world. I loved being immersed in not only the Australian culture, but the cultures of others I met too.

My international advisor in Australia was awesome. If it weren't for him, we would've been so lost. As for the program itself, after applying, we didn't hear from them at all.

There was never a point where I didn't feel safe.

Social Life:
The events on and off campus were a lot of fun.

Amazing Semester Abroad

I can honestly say that this semester has been the most amazing experience of my life thus far. I have learned so many things and met so many amazing people. These are experiences I will remember for the rest of my life. I encourage anybody who has an opportunity to study abroad to do it, I promise you will not regret it. The only thing that wasn't so great was having to leave at the end of the semester!

The classes were a lot bigger than at my home institution so adjusting was a little difficult.

I absolutely loved living on campus, it helped me make a lot of friends and I really enjoyed my time there.

I got to do so many things while being over there, everything I wanted to do and more.

Social Life:
I loved all the people I met and they really helped me socialize and bring me to places all over the city.

newcastle Australia

it may not be as well know but I believed it was one of the best unis for international students having the opportunity to live with Australia's and really become part of the culture. And being a 10 min drive from the beach isn't bad either

UoN Review

This Uni and college life is the best ever! You will only understand if you go through with it!

I loved the colleges!

I felt like I wasn't really prepared for anything. Some of it was my fault for doing a lot of this on my part last minute, but i was not given any helpful tips about going to a new place.

Jason Sommers was awesome though!

Unfortunate burglar and gun incident

Australia

Australia is the place to be. Plain and simple. I wouldn't have chosen anywhere else other than Newcastle. It gives you the Aussie experience that I was looking for.

It was hard to transition to the Australian education system so I didn't excel like I normally would back at home. The professors were not even close to being as helpful or nice as Wheelock.

Loved my living situation. Wouldn't ask for a better one.

Newcastle is a great place to be to be fully immersed in the Australian culture.

I felt there was no structure at all prior going to Australia. It's people's lives you have in your hands...

Newcastle is great during the day...but the sketchies come out during the night.

Social Life:
Again, if I wasn't at Newcastle, I honestly don't think that I would have had such an amazing experience. I've made life long friendships.

Amazing Time in Australia

I had a wonderful time in Australia, but it was not because of any extra help received from the CIS community. This was good because it forced me to go out and make my stay what I wanted it to be.

Only heard anything about security/their job during the last weeks of exams.

Social Life:
Lots of drinking on campus---not exactly my cup of tea.

It was okay

It wasn't easy! Especially not having your own transportation!

One roomate threw up constantly on toilet seat!