CISabroad participants CISabroad participants

Semester in Ghana

I had a fantastic experience with CISabroad. I participated in the Semester in Ghana program, and I loved every second of it. The administration was great (both in the US and in Ghana), and they helped the students every step of the way. There was a point where there was a bit of a housing issue during our semester, and CISabroad staff worked around the clock to accommodate us and make sure that we were okay. The orientation for this program was also great - we traveled a lot around the country and got accustomed to being a local before the semester even started. If you have the chance to travel with CISabroad, DO IT! You won't regret it.

If you want friendly people and a new experience, study in Cape Coast!

I lived 95% of my time in Ghana. The people are great, traveling is pretty cheap, and living is very simple and grounding. If you want a culturally significant study abroad experience full of amazing people, funny stories, and dirty clothes, take a semester in Cape Coast, Ghana.

Academics were different compared to the States, but some of the best in Ghana. It was difficult to adjust to the style of lecturing and life without a textbook, but teachers were generally understanding!

I loved living on campus near Ghanaian students as well as other international students! There are some power and water outages, as well as some days you just don't know how to cool down, but overall a great accommodation comparatively.

The CIS on site director did a fantastic job of introducing us to Ghanaian culture! Living in a dorm with Ghanaians helped as well, as did the orientation crew at CIE.

CIS always did as much as possible to make sure we were comfortable and taken care of!

Don't walk alone in the dark... but I would hope you wouldn't do that at home... If you get a funny feeling about a certain route (especially around the castle at night), go a better lit and more widely traveled route.

Social Life:
Finding true Ghanaian friends can be difficult at first, but don't be afraid to refuse to hand out your number. Some people only want to befriend you for what you can give them. Protect yourself by having a few people with you and having a back up "spouse" or "fiancé"!

CISabroad directly enrolled students in a Ghanaian university and provided ample support throughout the semester.

I found CISabroad via a google search and am so incredibly happy to have participated in their Ghana program this semester. CISabroad directly enrolls participants as full time students in the Ghanaian University of Cape Coast. We took classes alongside Ghanaian and other West African students and had the opportunity to live in the same dorm buildings as many of these classmates. Our cultural immersion experience was truly unique and I learned just as much outside the classroom (in the community) as I did in my academics.

I dorm building we lived in was guarded 24/7 but a porter's desk who held your keys when you were not in the building. There was only one copy of each key between the 2 roommates...so that is why the porter would hold the key when you went out. There were some security issues towards the end of the semester when students accidentally left their doors unlocked...but has long as you always made sure to lock your bedroom doors at all times, you were ok!

We were provided with a shared dorm room (2 students) and a communal kitchen that was shared amongst 8 students. 2 weeks into the semester we were provided with cooking utensils and pot and pans...so that was helpful in our food preparations throughout the semester!

Taking classes and living in dorms alongside Ghanaian students was the ideal opportunity for us to learn about the culture and the community we were living in.

CISabroad did a fantastic job of meeting all our needs and addressing all our concerns. There was a bit of a difficultly in keeping constant communication between CISabroad and the local partner, University of Cape Coast in Ghana. Sometimes messages would get misinterpreted or things would take a long time to be addresses...but CIS did a fantastic job of working with the difficultly of international communication and making our experience truly remarkable.

Safety is again all what you make of it. As long as you were very aware of your surrounding and careful about locking your door, not walking by yourself at night, and not caring valuable belongings on you, you were find. I frequently went out to restaurants and bars at night and never ever in my five months in Ghana felt unsafe in the community I was living in.

Social Life:
Definitely the best part of my study abroad experience. I made close friends with other Americans, European exchange students, and I also made very close friends with my Ghanaian classmates and peers, as well as community workers who ran local businesses and market shops.

Make no comparisons

If you go with an open mind there will be no problems, remember you can never compare to home a place 5,000 miles away.

There was a constant confusion on the requirements of the courses. And a clear disorganization in the time tables.Yet, most of my professors seem to care and make an effort to explain their expectations. Also they were attentive on international students, as courses had a flow of their own given the students are already aware of how the system works.

Personally the troubles I had were addressed rapidly by my CIS coordinator and this pressured the University to make changes. Already stablished, there was some delays in cooking equipment but then again nothing to worrying. Very very satisfied with Sasakawa Chalets.

There is a day to day grasp of Ghanaian culture, in and out of the University. To my understanding I really learned from their culture, the only way to be more immersed is to live with a family.

Poor administration from beginning to end, even though the personnel is incredibly nice and really caring about your academic and general wellbeing. There are simply technological and infrastructural issues that cripple what could be a really nice system.

Oh my God I did not expect these at all. I thought being Ghana (Africa) there would be some robberies. No guns no nothing. There is some stealing in crowded places or if you leave an attractive possession unattended. Just care for your things and be always a little suspicious about leaving stuff around.

Social Life:
Very social people. Some would say too social. Friendship is very important to them so be careful in not hurting anyone's feelings.
If you reach out either in class or in the street, almost always you'll get a positive response.