CISabroad participants CISabroad participants

Semester in Florence

Loved all of it

Studying abroad with CIS in Florence was wonderful. There is a great coordinator on site with many excursions and very helpful. The school is wonderful, with teachers from the area to give you suggestions, and everyone at the school is very helpful. Living in Italy is different from what I was used to, but it was just fine and my roommates became my best friends. Traveling is very accessible and easy from Florence and there are lots of places to go. Florence is very walk able as well.

Firenze Was Life-changing

I had no idea that this would be such a golden opportunity for me. Before I left I was nervous about who I would meet and how I would break out of my crippling shyness. Going to school in Florence helped me realize that I need to live a life that I am proud of, and everything about this experience has given me the confidence to do so. I think about how this experience has changed me for the better every day. Thank-you Florence for changing my life for the better!

Florence Spring 2015

I had an amazing time in Florence. I met a lot of people from all over the world. I would definitely recommend Florence as a place to study abroad. I think that it has a lot of opportunities and offers a lot to students. I would have to say that I enjoyed Florence more when I first arrived in January. There were very few tourists and I wish I would have taken advantage of that more. The lines to the museums were 10 times shorter and you could easily walk to the Duomo without being surrounded by tons of tourists. Since Florence is such a well known tourist destination I felt that I didn't learn the language as much as I was expecting. Most locals and shop owners speak english pretty well. At times it was convenient, but I also really wanted to learn the language and be emerged in the culture.

Wine, Espresso, and Freedom

My time in Florence could not have been greater. For me, the small city feel really helped. You can walk anywhere in the city within 20-30 minutes. The food is amazing, and reasonably priced. Wine is cheap and easy to find. Look for the 2.98€ bottle of Chianti at Conad with the picture of an old man on it. The classes are fairly easy, and grades are mostly based on a midterm and final, with very few if any homework assignments or papers. The attendance policy is really strict though, and if you miss more than three classes you will automatically fail. Also, you are only allowed to add or drop one class, so carefully consider your schedule before going. If you plan on making weekend trips, DO NOT sign up for Friday classes.

Florence 2015

Over all Florence was amazing and I want to come back to this city. I feel like CIS was not reallly there for me during the semester sonce they were always in Rome and that I was doing this adventure on my own.

A Semester in a Center of Art

My time in Florence was the most fun I've had during my time as a college student. I lived right in the middle of the city center, so I was within a few minutes walk to most of the major museums. I could go everyday after classes to see amazing works of art. The school itself was great, with amazing trips nearly every weekend to a lot of different places. The classes were fascinating. Now that I'm back, I miss everything about being there.

An Experience of a lifetime... thanks to CIS

I studied abroad in Florence Fall 2014 through CIS Abroad. I was very anxious going into the process because there was so much to be done. I had two advisors, Rachel and Ashley, who were the representatives for my school in Connecticut, and they were so unbelievably helpful with everything; I couldn't even believe how easy they made the process. They walked us through the application process, course selection, visa applications, and they even booked our round trip flights, all costs included. When we got to Florence, we had transportation from the airport that brought us right to our apartments. The costs of our textbooks, programs/events through the study abroad school, and day trips in Italy were ALL covered by CIS which was such a pleasant surprise. Our advisors and representatives were always checking in with us to make sure that we were having the best possible study abroad experience. It was one of the best experiences of my life and I am so glad I did it through CIS Abroad!

Best Semester of my Life

This really was the best semester of my life! I would highly recommend it to anyone considering study abroad. Florence is the perfect size to feel a sense of community but have all of the opportunities you are looking for. CIS made it so easy!

Max Formica

I had a terrific time while abroad. It was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. I met so many new people from different colleges around the entire U.S.A and I also made friends with some locals. I travelled to 9 countries in Europe and I was afforded an opportunity that I will never get again. It was amazing. I recommend everybody to study abroad in Florence, Italy with CIS. Thank you

Ti amo Firenze

This was an amazing experience! Our director Alessandro was amazing and so helpful, making our transition that much easier! Studying abroad through CIS was the best decision I ever made, and I'll surely recommend it to others.

Incredible experience abroad with the help of CISabroad!

I had the best 4 months of my life while studying in Florence. Whether it was traveling all over Europe, learning about the history through my classes, exploring Italy through CIS trip excursions, or wandering around my "home" city, I was always amused.

Home outside of home

I know it sounds cliché but truly my time abroad in Florence was the best decision I could have made in my life thus far. I met incredible people and experienced life on the other side of the world with them. That is something you will always hold close to your heart. I had incredible adventures not just in Florence but throughout many countries in Europe. I gained knowledge about other parts of the world, but also gained knowledge about myself. I had to step out of my comfort zone, home, to truly figure out who I was and who I am. Florence is my home outside of home, and I can't wait until we meet again.

I really appreciated how passionate the professors were about the subjects they taught.

I was fortunate enough to be given an apartment that had a great view and everything within the apartment worked well.

I wish I could have immersed myself more in the culture, but I am happy with what I was able to do.

well done

I never felt in danger in Florence.

Social Life:
It is very easy to make friends and get use to the social life. All it takes is 20 seconds of courage and to put yourself out there.

The Most Fulfilling Summer of My Life!

This past summer I got to meet the most interesting people and go on the most fantastic trips! Without CIS I would have been lost and confused, and not know where to go! If you want a second mom or dad on a trip abroad, these are the people who care!

The apartment was roomy and had a great view of the street. The kitchen was also full of great dishes to use and everything worked very well!

Our leader took us on a tour of the Markets of San Santino! He also took us on a private tour of a gelato shop where we learned how to make gelato. We also had two wonderful dinners! We also were invited to go on a private tour of Chianti region, where we met a local butcher, and got to go wine tasting! There was plenty to do, and our leader always checked in on us. We also got a walking history lesson of the city!

I got an email every week to make sure that I was okay and that everything was working well for me!

Social Life:
It was great to meet so many students, as well as local venders and social hangouts!

Blessed

Such a great experience, I think it should be required to do study abroad. You learn to appreciate everything you and and different cultures. Don't worry about money or trying to fit it. You need to be equipped with a positive attitude and you don't wanna look back saying, "what if?!"

Classes need attention. Make sure you take notes.

I lived on the top floor next door to the main building of the school. Although we had an amazing view of the Arno river, our wifi connection wasn't that great.

Obviously studying abroad you will be emerged in diversity. It can be challenging at times with the cultural differences, but you learn to cope with it.

Romina is the most amazing, sweetest person and is willing to assist you with anything.

I felt very safe walking around Florence, but don't ever put your guard down.

Social Life:
Go clubbing, go drink, make new friends. Florence has great night life, almost every night!

A+!

Wonderful program. amazing teachers. got fully immersed in the european lifestyle. florence is THE place to study in italy. always something to do here.

Social Life:
apartments are all spaced far apart

Overstimulating

Being in a foreign country is just overstimulating in every way. The food tastes better, the people are interesting, you walk by historical masterpieces every day, you see beautiful and amazing things on a daily basis... the culture, the atmosphere, the possibilities while studying abroad are endless. Studying abroad opens new doors, allows you to make new, amazing friendships and you will grow as a person no matter how "grown" you think you already are.

I have learned so much while studying abroad, inside and outside of the classroom. Sometimes the class work seems to get in the way of all the fun we are having in europe, but the course load is really quite easy. Having a finals week as our last week in Florence (for those staying only one semester) is a bit of a drag, though.

It's Italy... no one has a perfectly working apartment. The sinks might not drain, the wifi will go out, if you run your washer and oven at the same time learn where your breaker switch is. However, I love my roommates (none of them are CIS students) and our apartment is in a great location in Florence. Our landlord comes over a bit too frequently, but that isn't really in CIS's control anyway.

How can you NOT be immersed in the culture you're living in? I wish that we had done Conversation Exchange from day 1. That would have helped a lot with conversational skills which I feel that I am lacking in my day-to-day life in Florence.

All of the advisors that I've had have been very helpful and prompt in answering my questions. Even when I tried to do my own housing, Ashley was available to answer any and all of my questions. I know that many people in other programs have not had this nice of an experience with their program advisors.

I have never felt unsafe in Florence. It was definitely a concern before I arrived... but it is truly one of the safest cities I've been in. This doesn't mean you should walk around alone at 3am, but you really shouldn't do that anywhere in the world.

Social Life:
You can go out every night to a bar or just wander around the city and soak it all in. Every night is social and in the summer that social life just grows!

Florence

CIS did an alright job preparing me for my study abroad experience. They were very helpful when I had questions before I left for Italy but the staff in Italy did not seem readily available to help me. However, I didn't really need any help so it wasn't a problem.

Is this real life?

My 4 week submersion into the Italian culture was unreal and I enjoyed every moment of it. I fell in love with Florence and made some amazing friends along the way.

Perfetto

I would suggest studying to every college student!

Awesome

My CIS Abroad trip was legendary.

There was an issue with textbooks.

The apartment I resided in was awesome.

I met some really great locals.

The staff were always happy to help when they could.

Did not get pick-pocketed.

Met some great people.

Via

good program, wish that there was more cultural immersion. The school was mostly American and it was very difficult to meet other Italians. The included trips were a highlight and my apartment was in a good area

hard at first

the administration at florence university of the arts are horrible. CIS program administrator is great but the school is not understanding at all. The teachers are impossible to understand and the FUA staff are very mean

Semester in Florence

Overall had a great experience in florence meeting so many new people and experiencing the italian culture on regular basis. Loved being able to travel wherever I wanted and really enjoyed being able to see so many different places and attractions while over here.

BEST SEMESTER EVER!

Studying abroad in Florence, Italy through CISAbroad was the best choice I have ever made. CIS was very organized and made the whole process a lot easier. I would recommend this program to everyone! From the food, to the wine, to the friends I made, and so much more, nothing beats living in Florence.

Great Semester Abroad!

This past semester studying abroad in Florence was the best semester I have had by far. I met a lot of great people, learned a lot about other cultures all over Europe, experienced things I would never experience back in the U.S., and learned a lot about myself as a person. I was so nervous to fly across the world by myself not knowing a single person in Italy, but that was the best decision I made. I recommend that you do NOT study abroad with your best friends, but you go all by yourself. You will get so much more out of it.