CISabroad participants CISabroad participants

Semester in Business and Economics, Prague

Very satisfied

I am writing this review as a parent. I am completely sold on this program. I feel my daughter was supported by the local rep and that she was in a safe environment. The program is organized and offered a lot of cultural activities I did not expect. One small issue I raised was handled immediately and satisfactorily. This program is run by experienced, caring people and I highly recommend it.

"Czech" Out Prague!

Growing up in the U.S., you get comfortable. You know the ins and outs of your country, the language, the people. Stepping into an entirely different country is shocking. You're put very far outside your comfort zone. But it's the most invigorating feeling. You have to learn the language, culture, currency, transportation, and much more to get around. I learned more about the Czech Republic and its enchanting way of life. Most importantly, I learned how to use my resources to explore something new and foreign. The journey was my greatest accomplishment more than the end.

As soon as you learn the norms and accepted cultural behavior, you'll do great. However, Czechs are not friendly towards outsiders. My caveat was that I'm Ukrainian so I fit in more. As long as you try to assimilate and adapt, they'll appreciate the effort. Learn a few phrases of the language!

Overall, Prague is a safe city. I never felt like I was in danger or had any threats. One friend got pick pocketed when he was drunk. Just be aware and be careful. Don't fall for the tourist street sellers!

Prague is a student's paradise! Food and transportation are very cheap. $1 beer anyone? You will get far on a small budget. The food portion sizes are huge, too. But don't go shopping for clothes. You'll end up paying the same as in the U.S. Go to Germany for clothes shopping.

Learn a few phrases. Use them when out and about. Learn a few more. Use them when on the town. Listen for common phrases, look them up, and memorize.

CISabroad prepares you well. We had an amazing site director, Leah. Although she grew up in Canada, she's an expat in Prague. Having a native English speaker was a huge relief. She understood us and our needs better and provided a more tailored guidance throughout the trip. Leah helped us find a few great American spots and pushed us to visit new places and events.

Semester in Prague

My site director Milena was amazing. She took us to really great restaurants and we did fun activities like go to a hockey game. She would check in on us and help us with anything we needed. The dorms were nice because it allowed you to be social. My classes were good but I wish more economics classes were offered with CESP. Overall I'm very happy I choose CIS. The group was small and it felt like having a family in Prague.

Go!

Studying in Prague was by far the most rewarding and exhilarating experience in my life, thus far.

Social Life:
Prague is fun, very fun. Also, if you are studying in Europe, please make sure to hang out with some Europeans. They are awesome!

Marketing Major at University of Economics Prague

I completely loved CISabroad and how they helped us through our entire journey. The only downside was the school, the classes at the University of Economics Prague were not engaging or easy to pass. Especially International Finance. If you have never taken a prior finance course, do not sign up for international finance. I loved loved the city of Prague. The people I have met, places I've been, and the experiences I have had are unforgettable. Also it is a great central point for traveling. I have been to a total of 8 countries in one semester and after visiting all of them, Prague will still be my #1. I'm so happy I chose to study here. Yes the classes are sometimes a pain, but I wouldn't have changed a thing about my experience.

Great experience

Living in Prague for 4 months was a wonderful experience that gave me memories that I will hold with me for the rest of my life

Jarov was livable, but I think an option to rent an apartment would be ideal.

Good Program

This program was very good. The buddy system was great with help from Czech students. They threw big parties every tuesday which were really fun. There is no classes on Fridays which gives you time to travel on weekends and enjoy the city a bit more.

Dorms are about 25 minutes away from the city center by tram and nothing around the dorms is open late night. Other than that, they are pretty good.

A Great Time in Prague

Prague is a prime place for college students to study abroad. There are many universities in the ciyy that offer arts, business, etc. The exchange rate for their currency is GREAT - everything is inexpensive in American standards and much cheaper than any other country on the euro. There is TONS to do in the city. Lots of events, outdoor activities, bars, clubs. Just walking downtown you get to enjoy all the unique architecture and many small stores and restaurants. You can't get lost and it's a super super safe city. Our program didn't have the nicest housing and it wasn't located near the center of the city, but the program is inexpensive so you get wjat you pay for and it's not the worst. Public transportation is also super cheap and convenient in the city. Great food too and LOTS of fascinating history. If you want to travel, Prague is a great location for taking a bus, train, or plane to anywhere else around. The classes are fairly simple but sometimes frustrating with lack of communication of expectations from the professors. Overall I would HIGHLY recommend going to Prague for a great unique experience because there are lots of adventures to be had and many opportunities to expand your thinking and horizons.

Abroad in Prague

Prague is culturally different from the US making it a very valuable learning experience. Living situation is okay not the worst not the best. The school load is very relaxed, didn't have to buy any books and the classes are nothing out of the ordinary. The best part is the financial side, Prague is definitely best bang for your buck not being on the euro. Also it is conveniently located in the center of europe making travel much easier.

Prague was awesome

Prague was incredible. Great place to study and live. Very easy to travel to other places around Europe. The program fee was very expensive, considering tuition at VSE and housing costs at the dorm combined are less than half of what CIS charges students.

Pretty easy classes but I was still able to learn a lot.

Great dorm but I was roomed with several czech students who did not speak much english. Other than that it was great.

Jarov (dorm location) is full of locals so it was really great getting to interact with Czechs for a majority of the time.

Milena was great and the trips we took were great but I feel like the cost of the program was quite high with how cheap tuition at VSE is and with how cheap it is to live in the dorms.

Very safe city as long as common sense is practiced. Pick-pocketing is very common though.

Social Life:
Tons of clubs and pubs. Everyone is always going out.

Go to Prague! (But do your homework before you go)

Prague is an amazing city and a great place to study abroad. It's an affordable place to live, and its central location makes it a great place to travel from. CIS made it easy to arrange to study at the University of Economics in Prague, but that convenience comes at a price. For a semester of classes that only costs a little over $2000, and a dorm that costs less than $1000 for the semester, the CIS program costs over $9000. While the CIS employee in-country is an invaluable resource and CIS covers one trip during the semester, it's hard to justify the cost of a program that's 3 times the cost of tuition and room. Also, other programs in the city put their students up in furnished flats that are much closer to the city center, something I wished I had every time I had to take a tram for 30 minutes to get home.

Overall, though, I was happy with my experience. Most of my classes were rewarding in some way but the class/work schedule didn't get in the way of any travel plans. I would recommend studying abroad in Prague since it's such a unique cultural experience, a great place to party, and the affordability of living here makes it easy to see the rest of Europe. But, compare the costs of what you're getting with what you're paying for before deciding what program (or lack thereof) to go with.

Dorms were adequate, but not great. Location was inconvenient for the city in general but decently close to school (~15 minutes by tram).

Felt fully immersed in culture, but able to handle it. Very little English was spoken in the neighborhood near school and the dorms, but Czech language class helped.

I never felt unsafe in Prague. There is no shortage of drug dealers and prostitutes in Wenceslas Square, but as long as you keep your wits about you there should be no problem. I'd say that overall Prague is as safe or safer than any American city of the same size. Even in the dark outskirts where I lived I never saw any suspicious behavior.

Social Life:
No shortage of clubs (if you're into that sort of thing), but in a city this big there are all different types of bars and in neighborhoods outside the city center there's a pub on every corner. (In a nation that consumes more beer per capita than any other, social life = drinking)