CISabroad participants CISabroad participants

Semester in Aix en Provence

Aix-cellent Adventures in Aix

When I boarded a plane for the first time four months I ago, I would have never guessed I would be who I am today. My study abroad experience has been everything that I never could imagine and so much more.

Semester in Aix

Overall, I have a great experience studying at IAU in Aix en Provence. The professor are all wonderful and the school had a lot of activities and trips planned for students on weekends. The only downside was that the school was often unorganized with these activities, but if you have a "go with the flow" attitude (unlike me) then this won't bother you as much. Also, I would have preferred to live in an apartment as opposed to a home stay, but that is my personal preference. Many of my friends had great home stay experiences, and my host was very kind and considerate, but I would have preferred the independence and privacy of an apartment.

An Aix-perience

I really enjoyed my time in France. The CIS team was very helpful and I got the most of my experience.

Incredible experience in an amazing city.

I could not have imagined a better experience. All the people were as nice as could be, and the city was amazing. Without a doubt best decision I have ever made in regards to my academics.

Aix-en-Provence

Studying for a semester in Aix really expanded my mind. Being my first time out of the United States and moving to a foreign place by myself felt pretty gutsy, but I met people on the very first day who are now lifetime friends. I managed to visit seven different countries while here (most people visited more). If you are nervous about studying abroad, I strongly recommend overcoming any anxiety or fears and going for it. You don't want to look back and think "what if?".

Professors were very understanding and the classes were relatively easy.

My host family was absolutely amazing. They took me skiing in the French Alps and catered to all of my needs.

I learned a lot about the European culture and really expanded my French language.

Super.

There were a lot of night prowlers who tried to talk to my friends and I, but they would never dare touch us.

The bar scene was fun.

Aix en provence

My study abroad experience in Aix-en-Provence was a hundred times more amazing then I could have ever dreamt it would be!!!

Great for students studying abroad accommodating for busy students

I was not really thrilled with my host

Fantastic!! The school did a great job of this

So much fun!!!!

best thing i have ever done

best time of my life

Aix review

I felt this program was really good, but I had to search out the honors program to really get into French and that make me a little stressed at times. There were a lot of people that only came to study in France and not French, which I found a little sad.

Semester in Aix-en-Provence (Spring 2015)

My time in Aix was wonderful. By chance I was placed with a wonderful host family and a great house mate. I was a few miles outside of the city center so I could either take the bus or walk for 45 minutes to school everyday.

Review

This program was a great experience to have. I have learned so much through out my semester abroad. I was disappointed in the school system set up through my program, but it could have been worse. I was ripped off so much money by choosing this program, but it is what it is.

Laissez Tomber Vos Inhibitions

This program will provide you every opportunity to take what you want from France. If your goal is to simply find a place to study so that you can travel Europe at your leisure on the weekend, you can do just that. If your goal is to obtain certain credit hours but to do so in a beautiful setting far different from the States, you can do just that. And if your goal is to better your French, you can do just that by fully immersing yourself in the experience of a home-stay and the night life of Aix. However, IAU has a very French way (and preferable in my mind) of facilitating this process. They will provide you all the elements and materials you need to make the leap of immersing yourself but it is up to you to make that leap.

My experience was enjoyable for any number of reasons: I made French friends quickly at the bars, my home-stay was by far one of the best cooks I've ever met, I traveled rarely so I felt like a part of Aix culture as opposed to a tourist of Europe. Additionally, the wine tasting courses are superb and unique to anything that other programs would have to offer. I would fully recommend this to anyone who is willing to put forth the effort to buckling down and learning the language. The rewards are immense.

An AIXtraordinary place

Aix will steal your heart and provide you with some of the best memories of your life. Get ready!

Studying abroad is unique in that you get to learn outside of the classroom and that is something I was grateful for during my semester in Aix. While the classes I took abroad were no where near as challenging as the ones I take at my home university, they did allow me to learn about my self and my passions. What you learn from your classes abroad could never be thought by a textbook.

The family that I lived with were very accommodating and loving and made me feel welcomed. No surprise there were cultural barriers at times but we were able to work through them and enjoy each other's company.

I lived the French lifestyle for 4 wonderful months. I truly felt like I was immersed in French culture. The only thing is that French people are culturally very private so it was hard to spark up conversations in French with people.

At times the administration could be disorganized and it seemed that they had difficulty with communication. There is definitely room for improvement in those aspects. Overall the administration was quite nice.

I felt completely safe in Aix. There was never a time were I felt unsafe even at night.

Social Life:
Aix might not be a big city like London or Barcelona but don't underestimate it. There is A LOT to do here and the night life it not bad at all. I promise you will have an amazing time in my lovely Aix.

Aix-en-Vacances

Best life decision I've made thus far. Aix is so incredibly charming. The people, the food, the atmosphere -- all wonderful. You'll discover something new about this city everyday. Study in Aix, stay with a host family, explore the world ... you won't regret it.

Always felt very safe. Just make smart decisions and you'll be fine!

Social Life:
There's something going on every night of the week in the centre-ville. Hint: Tuesday is Ladies' Night at Manoir ... free (cheap) champagne!

IAU

Classes overall are pretty good I got really involved with my teachers and learned a lot. My host family was awesome and made a lot of friends in the city.

A comfortable stay in the South of France, in an amazing program.

CIS's study abroad program with IAU in Aix en Provence, France is absolutely amazing, and I would highly reccomend it. The city is breathtaking, living here is just a joy. I would definently reccomend this program to someone who wants a semi-relaxing semester somewhere beautiful. For people who want cultural immersion, you should be warned that you'll be going to school with all Americans, so getting to know French students can be a bit hard.

The classes offered at IAU College through CIS is amazing, and should be highly appreaciated. I took the POL-SCI classes, and I very much enjoyed them

Meh. Host mom was OK, apartment was OK, room was adequate. Honestly I didn't really spend that much time in my living situation.

Hanged out with too many Americans, hard to get to know French people since everyone at IAU is American.

Amazing! Leigh Smith is great, and so is the president of IAU! Nothing bad to say about the admin.

Never ever felt unsafe at any time walking home for 30 minutes in the wee hours of the night, Extremely safe city!

Social Life:
Great social atmosphere here in Aix

An experience that complete changes your future.

My time spent in Aix en Provence was worthwhile. I met not only fellow american students who were as enthusiastic about being a foreign culture as myself, but integrated heavily with the French culture. The staff and administration were incredibly helpful in assisting me with new opportunities.

Jump on in

It's all about what you give... Yeah, yeah - that's what you always here with programs like this, but seriously... it could be a breeze to just coast on through with english... hang with your friends from the institute, go to the bars you know are stocked with other english speaking students, take advantage of your host families ability to speak english, etc... but if you really dive into the real culture of Aix, take the time to get to know some locals, hang with the French students, merge your two worlds, the amount you can learn as a person as well as a student is through the roof. Aix is not a large city, which means it's not gonna leap out at you with unlimited things to do... but there's an entire underbelly just dying to be torn into - you just gotta stick with it and get outside of the American bubble.

I had an incredible time in Aix. The food is incredible. My host family was wonderful (living with a host brother my age was the best thing that could have happened). The music scene is pretty happening. The dance / theater / art scene is quite large. There's nature... Aix really does have just about all of the things you could want to do - it's just a matter of finding it.

Definitely take the time to explore France. You could spend every weekend and every break traversing the south of France and you'd still leave without having hit every place you could. At the bare minimum, take the time to really get to know Aix - it's a one of a kind kinda place!

Have the patience to stick with French and it will stick with you when you leave. The people in the south are so lovely and really don't mind helping you find the words and take the time to get it right. Make the most of that aspect of life :).

I would go to Aix over Paris any day! Definitely hit up Paris, but Aix is the place to be ;).

Overall - phenomenal location, phenomenal trip, friends I won't ever forget, places I will definitely be coming back to. Study abroad win. <3.

Incredible host family.

Incredible host family. (Living with a host brother is the greatest).

Never once felt unsafe.

Social Life:
Host brother and his friends were the best!

IAU Review

Aix-en-Provence is a great place to study, the town is small and it becomes very comfortable quite fast. The school is excellent and the classes are challenging in a good way. Meeting locals is not too difficult as long as you sign up for a french mentor at the school from the neighboring french university. Overall, I will be sad to leave Aix.

Semester in Aix-en-Provence

Aix was a great city to study abroad in. It was on the medium to small side but really gave the chance for cultural immersion and experience French life. The locals were extremely friendly and the food was amazing.

An Experience For the Taking

This program is literally what you make it. You can hide behind the protective walls of the primarily English speaking Americans you're studying with or you can go out and immerse yourself in the French culture around you. People always talk about how studying in a foreign country helped them immeasurably improve their respective knowledge of that language, but you as the recipient of that story only see the finished result. You don't see the work that went into that process: the journal of vocab words that they might have kept, the frustration from being unable to communicate something fluidly with a native, or even the joy of their first success. This program offers you all the tools to make this leap but it is entirely up to the individual as to whether they take the plunge.

Great?

Had a great time and would do it in a heartbeat again!

Did always have everything together. Often unreliable

Social Life:
Expensive to go out in and lived far from town do it was difficult to go out at night

A stay in a beautiful town and amazing school with a variety of opportunities to engage in the culture

Aix en Provence is a small, beautiful town/city that is easy to navigate and you will quickly feel at home here. There is also a lively night scene which I wasn't expecting. Take advantage. The IAU staff is also excellent and I will dearly miss the connections I made with them and the intimacy I felt while studying amongst them.

The professors that I had were amazing. They engaged the students and made them feel comfortable, providing challenging and thought provoking coursework without giving too much homework outside of class. This allowed for both optimum learning and time for exploring and enjoying our surrounding community.

My host family provided all that they were required to, but didn't seem genuinely interested in hosting myself or my housemate. They didn't attempt to connect with us and remained distant and formal throughout our stay.

The school provided opportunities to meet other French students but they weren't organized in appealing ways that made everyone feel comfortable. All interactions remained pretty surface level. However many of my professors were French and they were great outlets into French culture.

excellent excellent excellent

I never felt in danger, ever

Social Life:
I made what I'm sure will be lifelong friends

An AIX-ceptional semester in Southern France

My semester in Aix-en-Provence has been one of my best experiences in college and life. I met incredible people and had many new encounters. The culture was amazing- delicious food and wine and a very relaxed/laid-back feel. My only complaint was that the academics while easy in the workload were graded somewhat difficultly considering most of us were taking general ed credits outside of our majors. This stress made it harder to really immerse ourselves in the culture and truly experience the lifestyle. I would go back in a heartbeat though, and would urge anyone remotely interested to study in Aix!

I was able to take courses in all different subjects and get each course to count as credit at my home school. However some of the classes were pretty boring. My wine studies class was my favorite and was actually a lot of work.

I had an amazing host mom who took great care of us. My room was comfortable and my roommate and I had our own bathroom.

I did not feel that CIS did anything to help immerse us in the French culture. There were some activities with the university, but none specifically through CIS.

There was no tech support of any sort at my school which was a bit unprofessional. There were also some rude and uncaring employees.

I never felt unsafe in Aix.

Social Life:
My only complaint about a homestay was that we weren't able to have friends over like we would when at school in the U.S. This made it so in order to spend time with friends you had to go out, which we weren't always interested in doing. It would have been nice to have a student lounge open on nights and weekends at the school so that students could hang out there if they didn't want to go out drinking or spend money at a cafe.

Studying Abroad is NEVER a bad decision

I definitely learned a lot that I wouldn't have learned if I had stayed at my home university, and I've definitely changed and grown as a person.

It was reasonable

The woman was a great cook, nice person, and open to meeting new people. We had our differences of course, but I think that's part of the experience.

Since it was an American University, meeting French people was hard.

They could be a little unorganized, but at the same time they're genuinely committed to what they do.

Since Aix is the second most expensive place to live in France, I think that made to crime rate sort of low

Social Life:
Aix is a fantastic little city for students.

Good location, good people. (for the most part)

First off, teachers. The teachers for the most part are pretty good, my arch prof was fantastic and frankly, quite hilarious. All of my profs seemed to know their stuff, though my art prof was a little, how shall we say, free spirited with class and time organization. My housemate was a little frustrated with the econ and business department. The French teachers are great, they know they’re teaching non-French majors and the really want the students to learn French and French culture. They were always willing to answer any questions about France. The building that the program mainly uses is an old one, but they’re moving to a new address in the Fall, so next year’s students won’t get the tiny cramped library (with books that are older than my grandparents) and the bathroom stalls with doors that hit your knees. Everyone in the program was located no more than thirty minutes away from the program, so a fair bit of walking was done. I can’t think of much else. Overall the program wasn’t bad.

The courses were not particularly mentally challenging aside from the fact that some of them were in French.

I had an awesome host family who were very welcoming, but I did know of students who had bad host experiences and had to change host families once or even twice.

Looking back I wished that I had not chosen to live with an American house mate as I feel it would have forced me to immerse myself even more in the language. But I realized that one of the mail goals of the program in this town is to provide a program abroad for students who have no experience in French

CIS contact was very helpful in getting me all set up, and then staff in France were generally very helpful, especially the teachers.

I only had one or two mildly scary experiences. If you're smart, you'll be fine.

Social Life:
I heard it was okay, I'm not the kind of person to go out drinking till two am though. It's expensive though.